News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St Mary the Virgin, Minster in Thanet  (Read 4441 times)

Online JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
Re: St Mary the Virgin, Minster in Thanet
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 00:58:42 »
And here it is in 1987 minus it's steeple after the hurricane.

The remains of the steeple can be seen on the ground in the second photo.

Photos by the late Allan Yates of Minster

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 23:47:23 »

The font once stood in the church of Holy Cross in Canterbury, it had been there for around 450 years.  The church was rebuilt and in 1380 and the font was likely installed around this time.

The font cover was thought to have been made in 1500 and was given to this church in 1973.

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 21:25:03 »
Couple of pics from Feb

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 22:30:16 »
Thanks Monkton Malc,  interesting to see.  I had not realised that the spire had been damaged.

As an aside, we have a family connection to W G Slaughter & Son, watch and clock repairers in Minster Village, as a kid I seem to recall being told that WG had made some repairs to clock in the past.  I will have to check next time I visit.

Dave

Monkton Malc

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 22:23:15 »
A couple of pictures from last year (when I took my car for a service  :) )

The spire was rebuilt after the 1987 hurricane.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 21:56:38 »
Scanning old postcards tonight.  Interesting to see scaffold up, and what may be a repair to the clock.  Does anyone have an up to date photograph?  I also include the reverse side for contemporaneous information.

Monkton Malc

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 14:45:15 »
I will try and get back there sometime next week. My mother has the keys anyway but not sure if she has the ones to the tower. If not I will see the person who winds the clock and try and get some more pictures.

Many years ago I used to sit up in the tower during a wedding waiting for my signal to start ringing the bells. You get a very good view from that little stained glass window :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 14:38:29 »
Thanks for adding these, I love the tall arch leading to the tower!

Monkton Malc

St Mary the Virgin, Minster in Thanet
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 11:03:42 »
Hi everyone,
as this is my local church, I thought I had better write something about it.

The current church is built on the site of the original monastery that was founded by Ermenburga, who was a great grand daughter of King Ethelbert, in 670ad.
During the time of the Viking invasions, the people would leave the village and cross the river to take shelter in the walled city of Canterbury and rebuild when the danger had passed. When the Danes invaded at the end of the 10th century, the city fell and the lands and monastery were deserted. In 1027 the monks asked the Danish King Canute for lands to build their monastery again.

The oldest part of the building that we see today dates from just after the Norman conquest, the nave itself dating from 1150. The west end of the church has roman tiles built into the walls and these are thought to have come from a nearby Roman villa. The tower is accessed from a smaller, much older tower. This was originally much taller than it is today and if you climb the stairs to the belfry, you find that the stairs continue and then become blocked by the ceiling. It is thought that this part was used as a watch tower for the Wansum and nearby Watchester Lane probably takes its name from this.

The sea is supposed to have come right up to the church wall and I was told, as a child, that there used to be an iron mooring ring on the tower. The steeple was destroyed in the 1987 hurricane but is now rebuilt. You can see the steeple lit at night when passing Minster along from Monkton roundabout and also when coming from Ramsgate.

I started by taking my car for a service.

The watch tower.

Looking East. Some of the pews have been removed to allow the fitting of a new central heating system.

Looking West. If you look at the top of the picture, you can see the oldest stained glass window in the church that dates from the 15th century.

Another view looking West from the choir stalls. These have some fine misericords but guess who forgot to take the pictures..

An interesting stained glass window dedicated to the Chapman family who are/were farmers at Cliffsend. You can see the fields looking over Pegwell Bay in the
window.

A view of the north wall of the church taken by my mum. A similar view was painted by Turner. Link to the picture..
http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewWork?cgroupid=999999998&workid=73305&searchid=9588&tabview=image

When time allows, I will take some more pictures around the churchyard and try and match up certain things too. http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5576.0

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines