News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pilchers Coaches, Chatham  (Read 45151 times)

fredp

Re: Pilchers Coaches, Chatham
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2013, 21:50:19 »

Beacon Hill in 1988. My picture.

The same scene today. Picture - Paul Dennis.

fredp

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2013, 11:24:46 »

Paul Fleming. My picture.

fredp

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2013, 10:00:37 »

Church Hill in 1988 - My Picture

Church Hill, 2013.     Picture - Paul Dennis

BigKev72

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2013, 08:13:32 »
I've got great memories of Pilchers Coaches from school trips etc , can still picture the upholstery of the seats vividly! We use to live at 120 Chatham Hill (the house on the left at the top of Stoney Alley) and often saw near misses between cars and coaches at the junction with Chatham Hill and Upper Luton Rd. One incident that I'll never forget happened right outside the house when I was a kid . A Coach, travelling down Chatham hill on its way back to the yard, moved over to the right in order to make the tight hairpin turn into Upper Luton road. A car driver for some reason tried to undertake the coach and the inevitable happened. The car ended up buried in the side luggage lockers. The police arrived and got the driver out of the car. Trying to clear the road asap, the coach driver reversed off the car and, being unmanned and unbraked, it started to roll rapidly toward our house. The quick thinking policeman dived through the open drivers window and pulled the handbrake just in time to stop it crashing into our front door !!!

melvjudd

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2013, 20:59:54 »
I've just read your bit on the site. I used to work with your dad. Sorry to hear he has passed away, he was a nice man and I'm not just saying that he was. We did a few what we called 24 hour flyers to Blackpool together with two drivers. We left at 08.00 Saturday and got back 08.00 Sunday morning; it was just to see the lights. Great memories! I remember the last trip I did with him was when he got his new coach. It was still painted in grey undercoat and about every 30 miles the clutch went. Where it got hot we would pull over let it cool down and start again. I don`t think there are many of us left from those times. I then went to Olsen's. Happy days.

Offline Chris

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2013, 13:14:33 »
My late father, 'Nobby' Clark, used to drive for Pilcher`s Coaches during 70's and into the 80's. His favourite jobs were to drive around the various Regimental Bands that were based in the the towns. I remember him mentioning the Band of the Royal Engineers and the Band of The Devon and Dorset Regiment.
The owner while he worked there was Ernie Pilcher.

Offline Del

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2012, 22:06:20 »
Don't remember it was Rodney but memory is a bit vague on school names now.
Seem to think it was something like Adrian but I might be thinking of Adrian/Andrew Brooker who was somthing to do with Brooker Greengrocers!
Did you go to Gillingham Tech?

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2012, 12:52:40 »
I am pretty sure that Rodney Pilcher was in the Luton Church choir when I was there.

Offline lutonlad

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2012, 19:47:38 »
Hi, Del, you may have been at school with Rodney Pilcher. I went to school with him too. He is still around in Medway. He used to live in Edinburgh Rd., Luton.
If it cant be mended with a hammer, it must be an electrical fault, bash it anyway.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2012, 13:47:13 »
Well done DEL you're right, the Pilchers yard was in Beacon Road between a lane come track Church Hill and the steep hill which is Beacon Hill. All houses now of course!

Offline Del

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2012, 13:03:01 »
I went to Gillingham Technical School which was then in Green Street/Gardner Street next to the cinema. I remember going on school runs in Pilchers Coaches when I was there circa 1961 onwards. If my memory serves me there was a lad either in my class or certainly in the school who was a direct relation to 'Mr Pilcher'. Can't remember his name though although I do remember going on a journey where we passed the Hen and Chicks in Luton, turned left and went up a steep hill to where someone said was the yard for Pilchers Coaches then turned right presumably along Beacon Road then a really tight left backward turn up the old Ash Tree Lane.
The coach was really struggling. Good days although no way would I ever want to go back to 'em.

fiddyken

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2012, 10:46:59 »
Hi, I worked for Pilchers from 81-83, with Dave Ellis, Bob and Stan Fields, Les Boyes among others. I think the fitter's name was Ted. Great times doing Wed. afternoon blossom tours, H.O.E.T.S, and firms' outings. I also worked for SONNER'S from 79-81 again with Dave Ellis, Mick Riley. When Pilchers was sold to Dave Rackam I transferred to Olson's in Strood and enjoyed some great continental trips. After spells in London I finished my coach life at Kings Ferry, first at Pump Lane then at their new depot; have now turned full circle going back to Arriva having started with Maidstone & District in 1973. I think I'll stay, as only 2 years to retirement,

gavinparson

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2012, 19:03:14 »
I remember that in my youth Pilchers and Sonners were the two big local coach companies. Kings Ferry was small fry back then but when the big two disappeared Kings Ferry grew to be the dominant local coach company.

I was told once that I was somehow related to the Pilchers family, not sure how though.

Geoff B

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 23:28:05 »
Hi. small world. Ted Delahay bought 2 coaches from Pilchers, then went on to become Garden of England coaches.He used the Pilcher yard after they left.It is all in a book about Pilchers Coaches.Ted is my uncle too, my mum was Rita his sister. Ted got out of coaches and into lorries,but thats another story.He still works to this day ,buying and selling cars. :)

i remember him getting a lorry off of Bert Hazeldean and when I came on leave I used to go out for a ride with him up and down the country. I knew he had coaches but didn`t know that much about what happened to them. Thanks for filling me in on that. I have about 20 years to catch up on :-)

Offline lutonlad

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 19:49:28 »
Hi. small world. Ted Delahay bought 2 coaches from Pilchers, then went on to become Garden of England coaches.He used the Pilcher yard after they left.It is all in a book about Pilchers Coaches.Ted is my uncle too, my mum was Rita his sister. Ted got out of coaches and into lorries,but thats another story.He still works to this day ,buying and selling cars. :)
If it cant be mended with a hammer, it must be an electrical fault, bash it anyway.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines