News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pilchers Coaches, Chatham  (Read 45268 times)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
Re: Pilchers Coaches, Chatham
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2012, 07:13:29 »
Pilchers yard was on the left of the narrow lane that runs between Beacon Rd and Coronation Rd :)

julie

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 01:30:26 »
Hi Geoff B i remember pilchard's coaches we used them for outing's and swimming at school i use to go opposite there yard to see a pony named shelly belonged to the shop also know the delahay's i'm alway's interested in reading your post's as i was born in chatham bet you got a shock seeing it now. 

Geoff B

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 22:19:20 »
I walked along Beacon rd the other day trying to remember where it was but I guess its all been built over up there. and no trace of the yard left. Having just found the thread my instincts where it was was right. My Uncle Ted Delahay had a couple of coaches running out of the taxi office in Rhode St. I think he used to have one of Ernies coaches he sold him. I remember being up the yard with him in a coach getting something fixed on one occassion as a small boy.

louisewomble

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2012, 19:06:29 »
I used to use Pilchers to commute to London many moons ago.  They took over the route from Olsens of Strood when they went belly up! 

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 14:55:36 »
Hi djt I knew you grandparents from years ago , at  the coach yard, and the Beacon Arms Pub , Dave Rackam took the coaches to Strood, after that I dont know  what happened to them.

DJT

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 13:32:08 »
i used to work for pilchers coaches as a driver they were not brought by a london company when ernie pilcher died david pilcher took over and then went into partnership with dave rackham of auto renovations recovery who were based in whitewall road strood they continued operating a commuter service from lordswood  and chatham area and then they stopped the commuter service and not long after that pilchers no longer existed i think it was closed down and the coaches sold the picture brought back a lot of memorys of the drivers i worked with spike owen, phill groves, nobby clark, ted price, gerry pointon, paul flemming, john thompson, les boyes. myself melvin judd the coach in the forground was i think 570k the first one to be painted orange and white on the left was 101h the two ford mini busses the one at the back the white one was one of these american school busses and you can just see the roof of erni pilchers triumph 2000 behind the wall the vauxhall viva belonged to jack white the fitter i hope this has shed some light onto your picture

My Grandfather is John Thompson, also known as JT by many.  My grandmother Norma, used to clean the coaches inside.
I believe that Pilchers merged in some way with The Londoners & or Kingsferry.  That was when my grandfather left.  The yard was still there for many years but was just used for parking up coaches.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2011, 19:56:53 »
Heres a Picture from Les Collins collection of the Church Outing in the 1950's taking over the road way (Upper Luton Road)- 4 Pilchers coaches.

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2011, 19:17:05 »

Rolandp , Thanks for the great photo of Pilchers coach in beacon road, do you have any more  .......so much history  re coach yard      Ajemp..........

Fred the Needle

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011, 12:16:45 »
Certainly remember Pilcher's coaches...and those pictures of the livery bring back memories.  If I recall correctly, one of the "local's" from the Rose pub at the bottom of Catherine Street in Rochester used to organise "trips" that always used this company - 2 a year, one to the ice show at Wembley around christmas and one in the summer.

The latter always seemed to stop at Wannock Gardens.  I was very young at the time (about 6 or 7) so my memory is pretty hazy - even though I have photos of me and various cousins and friends in the gardens feeding pigeons.  I'm sure that the gardens were only a stopoff point on the journey, but I'm jiggered if I can remember where we ended up on these "outings".

However, I digress.  I remember a memorable trip to the show at Wembley where, upon returning to the coach, the driver informed us all that the coach had been robbed.  Somehow thieves had got in and stolen anything of value they could get including my cousin's christmas money and all our sandwiches for the return trip.  I seem to recall that it was only our sandwiches that got taken - everyone else's were left!

rolandp

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2011, 21:46:47 »

Beacon Road, 10 August 1933. This picture is courtesy of Herbert Spendiff.

tedthedog

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 09:12:39 »
I too, have memories of Pilchers Coaches at Luton but perhaps for a different reason to most.
I was trying to stop some thieves who were stealing from a building site opposite the coach depot (if one can call it that) in Beacon Road and I was getting the worst of a fight and  getting 'damaged' to say the least. A coach pulled in and the driver used my vans police radio to get me some badly needed help.
After the arrests were made I recall that drivers words while I was being helped to an ambulance. "I wouldn't do your job for a million pounds...No! Make that a million and one pounds."   I still owe that driver a pint!

This incident is recounted in one of my books. "One Dog and Her Man - The Life of Police Dog Bess."
Ted Wright

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 11:46:21 »

I can recall going to Buckmore park  to the swimming pool with Pilchers Coaches , always there was a young lad sitting next to the driver ,  that seat was reserved every time for him  because he was i think .....Jacky Pilcher , Ienjoyed the bus trip  more than  the swimming .
                                                                                                               ajemp.................

J Wakefield

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 07:57:59 »
The vehicle in question was a welfare bus (ambulance) so would fit in with the sort of vehicles built by Pilcher.
So do I assume they are/were nothing to do with Pichers Coaches. Have Googled & found this company

Pilcher-Greene (Europe) Ltd
Unit D1 Dominion Way
Worthing
West Sussex
BN14 8NW

Presumably they moved from Chatham some years ago.

Online mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2011, 21:43:59 »
Pilchers from Sussex were, perhaps still are, well known as ambulance body builders. I think they may have built fire engines as well at one time. As far as I know they did not build buses / coaches as such, but I could be wrong as many small coach builders sprang up after the war. The vehicle in question may have been some sort of ambulance / fire control or staff vehicle originally, not a P.S.V coach. The front certainly looks like a Duple married to a very square body. Looks in good nick, would make a super motor-home but I'm not sure the inward facing seats would pass muster these days though.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines