News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pilchers Coaches, Chatham  (Read 45104 times)

Aspidestra

Re: Pilchers Coaches, Chatham
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 10:58:21 »
Does anyone remember the old Orange coaches that had their depot at the bottom end of Granville road Gillingham before the war.Originally they had charabancs, which were an open top single decker fitted with a pull up canvas top, but no side windows or protection. The seats were transverse bench type and each row had its own door, Oh and the early ones had solid tyres.

patmore

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 14:30:24 »
Like so many other old Luton members I too have fond memories of outings with Pilchers, particularly the annual trip to London Zoo from Pheasant Road Junior School in the late 1950s when we would fill not one but several of their coaches. I must say some of those older buses did look rather precarious parked on the edge of the bank to the rear of the yard. Incidently, Oldsunset, Mandys brother Bill is a friend of mine from our motorcycling days.          James

Scrumdown

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 09:04:33 »
As a seasoned commuter for over 2 decades, I can't help remembering someone telling me that Pilchers were bought out by Londoners based in Peckham who were then bought out by North Kent Express who in turn were bought out by King's Ferry.  I may be wrong, but I went over to the train from the coaches in about 1998 as NKE became more and more expensive and thought commuters wanted to go to London and home again via Blue Water for some reason.

I'm sure Pilchers used to transport us schoolkids to our rugby pitch in the shadow of Marconi Avionics (now BAE Systems I think) at Rochester Airport for our games lessons.  Many a freezing afternoon spent playing rugby courtesy of the Pilchers drivers who sat nice and warm in their coaches while we huffed and puffed up and down the pitch.

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 07:50:37 »
Pilchers used to provide our school coaches. I remember the old Bedford 29 seaters we used to get now and again, where we had to sit three to a seat! I also remember a couple of the drivers there, Alf Cate and Mr Green or "Greeny" as we called him, who always wore a flat cap and drove so slowly, it would have been quicker to walk! Still, I can appreciate now why he drove like he did. His passengers were kids.

By strange coincidence, I came into contact with both of them some 20 years later, during my housing days and neither of them looked any older!!

I was also in the cubs with a Kevin and Calvin Pilcher who lived on the Dar
land Estate who were relations, I believe.

jaj

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 01:53:53 »
just looked at the first pic again and there's no Medway Community College school

Hi Chatham_Girl, the school was certainly there when the pic was taken, albeit then known as Fort Luton Secondary School for Boys and Christchurch School for Girls. I and a number of other members used to go there in the 70's and earlier.  :)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 20:57:04 »
Was good to see the old M&D Luton depot again as my father worked there for many years. Do you have any other shots of M&D related buildings peterchall?

If you haven't already seen it, I think you will find this topic interesting. It includes a few M&D buildings.

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5113.0

It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline karlostg

• Appreciation 23
    • Bluewasp Media
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 18:02:16 »
It was definately there in 79, its just over the horizon though.

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 17:19:27 »
just looked at the first pic again and there's no Medway Community College school

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 14:58:34 »
I remember seeing their coaches out and about on the roads of Kent, never realised they went out of Beacon Road. From what I recall of Beacon Road it would seem a far from ideal place to base coaches, I thought it was very tight and steep round there? Was good to see the old M&D Luton depot again as my father worked there for many years. Do you have any other shots of M&D related buildings peterchall?
nostalgia's not what it used to be

oldsunset

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 07:32:43 »
my best friend Mandy Wills lived in the shop opposite the coach yard at the bottom of the 101 steps, her dad owned the old tin chapel opposite on the top of beacon hill "Winky will"
my dad had a coach firm (dave watts) and knew the pilchers lot
dad went to fort luton and lived up connaught road
i spent alot of time up the beacon hill shop and all us girls went up the central hotel, think you must be nearer my sisters age, her hubby proposed to her at central too in the 80s

Merv

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 00:09:28 »
Peter and I were discussing them a couple of days back, and you can bet any family that has been in Medway for years would have at one time used them for a day trip.
My Father was one of those that would get up and play the Mouth Organ and lead the sing songs...
Which seemed part of the deal on every trip...along with the Whip round for the driver.
Happy Days(lol)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 23:33:46 »

jaj

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 22:50:16 »
Very much so.  Our local school would often use Pilchers Coaches and interestingly one of my family lives almost on the spot from where your photograph was taken.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
Pilchers Coaches, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 22:02:11 »
Does anyone remember Pilchers Coaches, who had a depot in Beacon Road , Chatham? They were the main private hire coaches in the Medway Towns, apart from M&D.

Copyright Roland Pilcher & licensed for re-use under this Creative Commons License.

This picture was taken in February 1979 and shows the view over Luton Village from just above Beacon Road. The coach yard belonged to Pilchers Coaches.

In the distance is the M&D Luton Depot with a bus just visible in the entrance, and the large building to its right was the tramway generating station.

The grassland in the background is the Coney Banks.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines