Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pilchers Coaches, Chatham  (Read 39485 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 57
Re: Pilchers Coaches, Chatham
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2017, 22:22:41 »
I was wondering when the footbridge was demolished. According to the Kentrail site it was 2005.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 67
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2017, 21:04:56 »
There's another picture of the footbridge here

http://www.kentrail.org.uk/rochester_freight_depot_2_2.html
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline rfp

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2017, 15:50:26 »

Picture: Topcat56 via Flickr

You are right of course, Smiffy. Fortunately somebody thought to take pictures before it was all swept away.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 57
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2017, 20:43:49 »
I have an idea that the first photograph of the lorry (KN8854) was taken at Chatham Goods Depot, Blue Boar Lane.

Offline rfp

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2017, 19:35:22 »
Apologies to all, a correction is needed to the previous post. As I am sure regular followers of Kent History Forum will have noticed, but politely did not point out, the pictures date from the twenties and not the thirties.  The date of purchase of KN8854 was possibly 1919 or 1920 not 1934, the date given in the Malcolm John book. The date was flagged as being rather tentative which should have been the trigger to further research.

Offline rfp

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2017, 14:40:23 »

Both pictures from the estate of E. C. Pilcher

AEC ‘Y’ Type lorry, Reg. KN8854. Both pictures show the same vehicle. It was already more than ten years old when it was purchased in 1934.  At some point it was converted to a charabanc and in the second picture it is seen outside the Chiltern Hundreds on the way to the Derby.   

Offline Greyuncle

• Appreciation 8
  • Do the right thing
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2017, 09:50:32 »
Hi rfp, I think I can help with your coach photo. It is taken outside the New Inn, Luton Road. There was the original hanging in the bar when we had the pub. The man on the extreme right with a central parting in his hair is Alf Crouch a very congenial man who played the accordion and he was still using the pub in the 70's. Also front row second from the right is a man named Wally. The shop opposite is Les Olvers newsagents and Tray Ripley's second-hand  shop.

Offline rfp

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2017, 09:20:55 »

This picture (my picture) was taken inside the barn. Part of the barn was used as stables and this picture shows a beam above one of the stalls. With a bit of a squint the letters “Jonny” can be made out, the name of a horse.

The last two working horses to occupy the stables were actually Bess and Soldier. They pulled coal carts. The coaches were motorised of course but there was a coal and coke company which used horses up until the Second World War. My thanks to my informant Herbert Spendiff who also tells me that his father, Bill Spendiff, drove Bess and his uncle, Ernie Hayward, drove Soldier.

Bess and Soldier were not the very last inhabitants of the stables. That honour went to Cinders, a small pony that lived at the yard for a while in the late seventies.

Offline rfp

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2016, 19:34:49 »

This was a mystery picture in the Medway Messenger. Thanks and apologies to Local World Limited. It is not absolutely certain that this is a Pilchers outing, though it is highly likely.

Luton Road at the junction with York Hill. The fast food outlet on the left was formerly the New Inn public house.

Offline rfp

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2016, 10:02:58 »

Beacon Road in 2015. My picture.

In 1928 Alf married Ivy Stacy. Ivy can be seen in the Beacon Road picture aged 25. She is standing fifth from the left in a dark coat and light dress. Alf is possibly one of the white coated drivers but it is impossible to be sure.

Offline rfp

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2016, 19:56:51 »

Alf Cate. My Picture.

Offline rfp

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2015, 11:26:40 »
Alfred William Cate truly was one of nature’s gentlemen. His mother was born Lily Maud Cate in 1891. Lily married Herbert William Pilcher in 1917 so Alf was also one of the family.

Harry “H” Griffiths was the person trying to balance the books and a thankless task it was too.

Both men served the company for more than fifty years.

My thanks to Helen Biddle for her research.

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2015, 21:43:09 »

I remember Aif Cates, he was gentleman, always smartly dressed, he would always help you if you had a problem, meanwhile back in the office there was a man who did the books, his name escapes me, he was forever trying to balance the books.

Offline rfp

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2014, 22:24:04 »

The old barn in Beacon Road, 1979. My Picture

Beacon Road in 2013. Picture - Paul Dennis

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2013, 22:05:54 »
It was sad to see the demise of the site.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines