News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gillingham Park  (Read 12017 times)

Stewie and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

merc

Re: Gillingham Park
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 19:10:56 »
I remember the blue sailing ship climbing frame, that me and my mates used to climb over the top. Also the two concrete pipes you could climb inside nearby.

I went to several fairs and other events there to. One of them had a motor-cycle display team.

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
Gillingham Park
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 16:24:09 »
My memories of the park date back to the mid 70's, I remember riding my bike with stabilisers around the curving paths and under the rose covered trellis work which formed a kind of tunnel. This would have been the part close to Pembroke House running parallel with Oxford Road where the swings and slide were. Apart from the main gates in Park Avenue, Oxford Road and Canterbury Street there is/were a couple of smaller entrances. One was on the
corner of Park Avenue and Oxford Road, and also you could walk through the Municipal Buildings car park and go through a small gate there.

Does anyone remember the little kiosk that was sited near that gate close to the Municipal Buildings? It sold things like ice cream and soft drinks, it was gone by the late 70's. Not sure if it was demolished or burnt down but would love to hear from others who remember it also.
nostalgia's not what it used to be

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines