News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chatham High Street  (Read 100216 times)

petermilly

Re: Chatham High Street
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2013, 19:12:32 »
You look spot on to me smiffy.  :)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2013, 18:57:16 »
I think I may have pinned this down now. The upper map is rotated 180 degrees for clarity, the lower one is the correct orientation and zoomed out for context.

On the far right of the picture is what appears to be an opening into a yard. The building in pink I believe to be the one in the photo with G W Taylor written on the name board.  Next to this building on the left is a small gap, then there are two smaller buildings adjacent to a larger brick building. Next to this on the far left is another building, which looking at the roof line seems to be at a slight angle to the other one. After this is the entrance to Whittaker/Church street. It all seems to tally with the map, which is from the 1860's - the 1879 map is the same. By 1898 this area had been redeveloped. I may be wrong about this, so if any other member thinks I may be mistaken feel free to comment.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2013, 23:16:10 »
Have had a look and I'm pretty sure it's not the White Swan. I've got an idea of the location now - but need to do a bit of checking!

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2013, 04:57:44 »
It looks like a pub on the left of the photo, with people stood outside. I wonder if this is at the bottom of Cage Lane (Upbury Way now) and that is the White Swan?
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 23:56:47 »
I wonder if anyone can identify these High Street buildings - the picture says 1890's. Pictures of the eastern part of the High Street from this time seem to show lots of particularly old and dilapidated structures so this is my guess as to its possible location. The sign looks like it says 'G W Taylor Shoemaker'. I'm not sure why there is boarding around the buildings, perhaps they were about to be demolished? A Kelly's of the right era may shed some light.

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2013, 22:53:28 »
(Image removed from quote.)

Harris' bicycle shop next door to the Evening Post premises.

Frank Harris sold his bike shop to C&S ( John Cordingley and Ray Smith) who had 3 other bike shops in the towns in about 1982 when he retired, I worked for him, that is their fascia as Franks was red. Unfortunately whereas Frank stocked quality bikes like Dawes and Claude Butler, C&S were very much at the budget volume end.
If you look closely you can see the C&S fascia.

kewtie

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 19:56:46 »
The 1965 photo looks like it has Royal Mail Van No. 29 from Best Street sorting office in the High Street.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 09:21:54 »
Impossible to date precisely, but the bike left propped against the kerb while its owner was in the shop is a relic of past times.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

YoungNan

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 15:44:44 »
(Image removed from quote.)

Harris' bicycle shop next door to the Evening Post premises.

Knew that place....it was my sister-in-law`s Dad`s shop.  :)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 19:00:16 »
Numanfans 1979 pic. shows traffic running east in the High St, why was this? I can only ever remember it being an east to west one way thoroughfare.
                                                                                                                                               James

Think traffic making deliveries have run from east to west since High St. was pedestrianised.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 22:10:43 »
This thread is for general photographs, directory information or general comments about the High Street only.  Do not post comments about individual shops here, please start a new thread or add to existing threads in the Retail board.

patmore

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 14:50:35 »
Numanfans 1979 pic. shows traffic running east in the High St, why was this? I can only ever remember it being an east to west one way thoroughfare.
                                                                                                                                               James

Offline prefabkid

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 10:13:18 »
Kelly's 1961
411/415 High Street Chatham
C J Howard & Son Ltd. Property owners,builders & contractors.

In the early 1980's
Hadleigh (D.R.G.)Ltd. Domestic & contract furnishers, they also had premises
in Lower Stone Street & Week Street Maidstone.

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2010, 22:31:07 »
1974/  164,166 High st,Tesco Ltd, Drapers,
          168, William Paine, Mens & Boys Outfitters.
          170, Central Hall.
          If you look above 168 you can still see the WP Logo.
redge

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 22:57:10 »
Thanks for the pics. It looks as if Medway Street was cobbled.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines