News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Fan Hole Battery, Dover  (Read 35780 times)

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
Re: Fan Hole Battery, Dover
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2017, 20:32:33 »
Fan Hole 1967. Not the two Battery searchlights.

Fan Hole. 1967. by Stuart, on Flickr
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

John38

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2013, 12:37:57 »
Great pictures, thank you :)

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2013, 12:05:20 »
I was very lucky indeed yesterday when walking along the cliffs. I came across delver about to show a small group from Dover Council down the deep shelter. He very kindly invited me to join them!  :)

The NT are doing some great work down there and I said we may be able to help with some volunteers sometime.

Just a few of the nearly 200 photos I took!!

cliveh

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2013, 19:33:35 »
Delver, if you send me some names and other details I will see what information I can find for you.

Offline Ron Stilwell

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2013, 21:15:34 »
Excellent news.  The National Trust could surely not be party to eliminating such a historical resource, and thankfully, it seems as though the Battery will be saved.  Congratulations.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2013, 21:12:14 »
Great news delver. It sounds like a fascinating project. I'd certainly be interested in a workday and group visit. Please keep us informed

cliveh

Offline delver

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2013, 21:09:12 »
Thanks Kyn.

That would be great - fantastic also to hear peoples memories from the 1960's. Any other information would be very much appreciated. The roof of the entrance tunnels are buried but some initial digs have shown them to have large cracks so substantial rock bolting may need to be carried out.

A work day would be good, also a more general trip could be organised in November.

Cheers folks.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2013, 19:56:14 »
Hi delver, glad to see you on here :)

Well done in moving this forward and securing the funding, I am glad your plans will now be realised.  If you were not so far away I would happily come and help, but sadly Dover is too far for me.  I do hope some members help you though.  If necessary we may be able to arrange a one off day trip down to you to help out if you get stuck....

Hopefully I will be able to come and visit in the near future!

Offline delver

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2013, 19:48:46 »
Hello Folks,

Sorry in the delay in posting this on here, really great to see the positive comments!

I work for the National Trust and administer the Fan Bay tunnels. The Trust purchased the remaining section of the White Cliffs in-between Langdon Cliffs and South Foreland last year; we also purchased Fan Bay deep shelter in the process. The National Trust had planned to seal up the tunnels in a much more robust way than the St Margarets shelter which has suffered repeated and costly break-ins over the years. It would have been shuttered and filled in with concrete. I then put forward an alternative proposal to open the tunnels up to the public; I have now secured the funds and am the project lead.

Fan Bay has been secured using a metal door which is surrounded by deep concrete shuttering. However this is still only a temporary fix pending works to the tunnels which will be reopened to the public in 2015. We plan to open up the two entrances into the side of Fan Hole and we are also planning to excavate the two sound mirrors. The sound mirrors, if they remain, are rare First World War survivors and some of the first to be constructed in the UK. We will also excavate and expose the remains of the WWII surface structure. The tunnels will remain unlit, and will remain in their raw historical state, the public donning hard hats and torches to go down via a guided tour. Minimal works will be completed inside the tunnels to make some sections safe. The corners of the stairs and the southern entrance tunnel will be re-finished in wood by mine engineers and will match the original work left by the 1940s tunnelling company. The sections of support which were actually left by the scrap men who started to strip the tunnels in the 1950s, will remain where they were left. The ventilation which has fallen down will also be reconnected using the original techniques.

We will be working on the inside of the tunnels over the next year. There will be the chance for people to volunteer and get involved, please let me know if you wish to do so. I need help with the digging; I need help with historical research and I would love to utilise people’s skills in photography. I am also more than happy to arrange trips down Fan Bay for interested parties, from November. My office is at South Foreland lighthouse where I am the site manager and I am more than happy to meet and discuss our plans in more detail. If you want to get in contact:

southforeland@nationaltrust.org.uk FAO: Jon Barker.

Best wishes,

Jon

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2013, 22:21:41 »
Fan Hole Sound Mirrors.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/4632951677/

The Fan Hole mirror detected an enemy raid at a range of 12-15 miles in October of 1917 and in 1918 both mirrors were able to detect aircraft heading for London several minutes before they were audible to the unaided ear.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

merc

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2013, 00:59:33 »
It's good news that the NT are doing that, rather than just trying to permanently seal it up :)

I hope it all works out...

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2013, 23:00:35 »
Through talks with a NT guide on Saturday I can confirm that they intend to excavate the sound mirrors and open up the deep shelter to the public in the next 2-3 years. Work is to commence next month on widening the deep shelter entrance.  :)

cliveh

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2013, 22:24:27 »
Yes i can visualize that entrance now doug.Something else has come back to my memory ,again from the 1960s.Somewhere up near the top entrance on the edge of Fan Hole there was a long gouge in the ground running down into the Hole.It was quite deep and i think it started up at a brick wall.If it was caused by water we couldn't make out where it came from.We never did figure that out.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2013, 17:13:18 »
The fan bay tunnel exit came out directly behind the sound mirror, I believe the sound mirrors were buried sometime after the mid 1970s. That was the last time I was in that tunnel system. When I looked at the site last winter the ground in the tunnel exit area seemed to have been built up.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2013, 15:41:15 »
I recall the lower entrance to the tunnels came out very close to a sound mirror. As I've mentioned before it was a very dodgy exit even back in the 1960s. It was not somewhere to loiter in.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines