News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fan Hole Battery, Dover  (Read 32305 times)

merc

Re: Fan Hole Battery, Dover
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2013, 12:04:31 »
I didn't know there were two buried WWI sound mirrors in the area. I believe the National Trust are intending to excavate them to see what remains.

silverainbow34

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2013, 14:12:38 »
Some very nice pictures there, I visited here earlier this week, very wet down there at the mo. It's sad to see the level of decay compared with when I was there, around two years ago.

:)

Offline cptpies

• Appreciation 5
    • Extended Defence of Britain Overlay for Google Earth
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2011, 11:00:48 »
I think the tether point for the closest balloon is in the fork of the track directly below the radar mast which is second from the left.
Get my Defence of Britain Overlay for GE here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v5e9iyg1n1q367r/hS4-ddBEb_

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2011, 15:52:03 »
...and are they disc-shaped patches of grass where the two closest balloons are tethered?

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2011, 14:42:53 »
Terrific, Islesy - thanks very much

alastair

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 14:32:36 »
Great pic Islesy - thanks for posting! :)

cliveh

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011, 09:50:56 »

Pick what you want to out of this one!
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 16:38:17 »
Here's a photo of the entrance to Langdon Hole Bunker...Rails included.

The steps which were between the rails were wooden and have mostly rotted away. When I say mostly, there are only about four left!
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 15:07:54 »
Thank you JohnG, that's interesting. My next question was going to be If they didn't have rails how did they move the shells? You've just answered that. Many thanks.
I wonder what it was that my chap saw?

Alastair

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 23:27:48 »
I have never seen any mention of railway lines in the 6-inch or 9.2-inch magazines.  A 6-inch shell could be carried by a man, they weighed about 1 cwt and were considered the biggest shell that could be carried.  They may well have used a barrow.  The 9.2-inch shells were loaded onto a trolly and towed to the gun.  Both of these guns would have a fair amount of ready use ammunittion in the emplacement which would be used first.  The only tunnel I have seen with railway lines in it was Dumpy 'B' in Langdon Hole.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 14:51:36 »
Thank you for the pictures, Ilsesy
I was judging the distance between the magazines and the guns from the plan posted on this site. I haven't been down myself though looking at picture 3 that tunnel would be a likely place for rails to be laid. There is unlikely to be any evidence left as, being prefabricated, they were not fixed to the ground. I could be totally wrong - it just seemed like a logical answer.
I appreciate your way of thinking on my views. Ilsely, but I greatly object to being made a fool of by those on this Forum who should know better. I will say no more on the subject as at least one of those people has left and, as far as I am concerned, the matter is closed.
Thank you again

Alastair

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 14:34:40 »
No.3 Gun Magazine.

Shell Store, No.1 Gun

To give some idea of scale.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 14:28:26 »
Alastair, the three magazines for Fan Bay sit to the rear of the Gun Pits and are virtually identical to the magazines further west at Lydden Spout, they are not "some distance from the guns" by any stretch of the imagination!

Having been in all three magazines, both at Lydden Spout and Fan Bay, there is no evidence to support there being rails - indeed I fail to see how rails could have been laid all the way because of the restricted nature of the layout, the right angle turns and the variations in height.

I don't think your acquaintance can have been referring to Fan Bay.

(I'm not certain that "was ridiculed by those who think they know more than they do" is an entirely apt, or indeed welcome, way to seek info either Alastair - but maybe that's just my way of thinking...)

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 12:04:23 »
I mentioned some months ago in a thread that has disappeared the possibilty of a railway under the White Cliffs. This came about from an acquaintace of mine who went down many years ago and walked along it, in the region, by his description, of Fan Hole Battery.
The suggestion, despite the rails having been seen, was ridiculed by those who think they know more than they do and I am convinced that what he saw was prefabricated rails from the magazines to the guns.
The magazines are some distance from the guns and hand-pushed rail trucks are the obvious way to transport shells. All the rails would have been removed by the scrap merchant in the 70's when the site was demolished.
The same would apply at South Foreland Battery. There is no way that 9" shells could be carried with any degree of safety even though the underground passages are shorter than those of Fan Hole. There had to be rails to transport them.
It is recorded fact that rails were used in the construction of Dumpy so it is perfectly logical they should be used in the magazines.
Intelligent observations would be welcome.

Alastair

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 17:06:10 »
The shell store door.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines