News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fan Hole Battery, Dover  (Read 32428 times)

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
Re: Fan Hole Battery, Dover
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 15:42:27 »
Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about a square shaft near the fan bay magazines? I've marked it on flashearth, but its quite difficult to see. http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.135936&lon=1.357958&z=20&r=0&src=msl

There are some lumps of concrete covering it and we have tried to shift it but we didnt have enough people to shift it and ended up with cut fingers and we lost a fence post in there. My first thoughts were that it looked liked an escape hatch for something, possibly for one of the magazines? I haven't been in the magazines yet, is something similar from the inside? I had alook at the above plans and cant see anything marked and its too small to see much from the aerial shots.

Unforntunatly, I'd forgotten my memory card for my camera, so no pictures yet  :(

That'd be this one then.....

Which is No.1 Gun Magazine - much better condition inside, has the steel doors on the shell stores, with green paint and "No Smoking" signs still visible.
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 22:25:52 »
Officers commanding British forts at home and abroad were required to maintain a Fort Record Book (AB 360) of information covering the operation, administration and history of the fort. These records include details of topography, survey data, gunnery tables, records of shooting, armament and equipment, mounting and dismounting of armaments, communications etc, and, in the case of forts guarding approaches to ports, information on seaborne traffic control.

Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 38
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 10:03:27 »
I am in the process of making a new PowerPoint presentation to show visitors when they visit the Coastguard Station at Langdon Battery.I have made a map of the area along the Coastal path from Langdon to South Foreland.From the Operations Room the intention is to point out the relevant Batteries and fortifications.However I have had difficulty in finding the exact location of the Fan Bay Battery.Looking out from the Ops Room I can see a pile of concrete slabs on the edge of the field and wonder if this is the location.I have marked it on the map and ask your help to verify it or correct it.I have tried to research it but 99% of the research comes up with all the underground shelters.If there are any other locations to be added I would be most grateful.
Many thanks,
Ted

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 23:38:18 »
There's no sign of the battery either.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 15:20:05 »
A lot of very valuable information there - thanks to you both for supplying it. Does anyone know if it was standard practice to paint all the buildings - accomodation and operational etc - connected to the emplacements, in camouflage? It seems logical that they should have been but, of course, there's no trace of paint now.
Alastair

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 10:44:32 »
A gent(recently deceased) told me that he helped cut the guns up after the war.If i remember the conversation correctly a local well known demolition contractor(also deceased)had the contract to carry out this work.Not far from this site and near to the military road to the battery (where it leaves the back road to St.Margaret's)there used to be a concrete structure that looked very much as though it was at the top of steps leading underground.This had steel door(s) which were always securely closed by a padlock and chain.Looking at Google Earth shows that the area is covered with interesting crop marks.Also out in a field can be seen what could be some remains from WW2.Crop marks lead to this site from the St. Margaret's road and it could even be the place i mention above which was situated somewhere around about here.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 16:43:02 »
One of the Fan Hole Battery guns.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 08:40:39 »
Not much up there now i shouldn't think unfairytale after that KCC clearance operation.Yes it's a very interesting booklet,i'll have to see where he got his info from if there's a credit page in it.I have another building i'm curious about that might have been connected with this battery.This is just from memory:close to where the military road leaves the public Upper Road/Reach Road to St. Margarets there was once a sturdy concrete structure situated a little way into a field.I think it had double steel doors which were padlocked.Going on the sloping rear of the building it had the look of the top of a stairwell.As this was area was completely exposed to shells, bombs and bullets i could never work out what it was for.I never saw the doors unlocked either.I'm going to have a look to see what other WW2 photos i can find on the forum that might show this structure.  

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 19:06:08 »
I have that book Towerwill. I'll take another look.  :) But wherever it was, it isn't there now.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 18:57:32 »
Could be unfairytale but i'll give you David Burridge's references from "The Fixed Defences of Dover in the 20th Century".Typing in TR354 429 has put the radar post close to where i thought it might be.That's the LandRanger co-ords.I don't know where he got them from.The nearest lookalike in a photo i've found so far is a type 80 radar installation which wasn't developed at that time but bears a good similarity to the structure in my memories.
Mr. Burridge places one searchlight position at TR3523 4274 which is down in Fan Hole itself and another at TR3529 4277 which is also down in Fan Hole just about at it's lowest point.These were coast artillery searchlights.I can recall rubble and such like down in Fan Hole in amongst the gorse.The tops of the cliffs as we know are often shrouded in mist and fog.As i say this is info i've got out of a book and by using streetmap.co.uk and not my own research as i don't have photos or maps and plans of the area in WW2.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 11:22:26 »
I think that may be the searchlight emplacement.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 10:45:50 »
The building with a steel structure above it was outside the area shown in the photo which does not include the far side of Fan Hole.A look at Google Earth shows this area bounded on two sides by a cornfield, very close to the coastal path and the shaft cut in the cliff face.
Glad to hear the old lighthouse is still there.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 18:57:10 »
The Fan Hole Radar buildings are on the extreme left of the above photo and the crew quarters for Wanstone heavy anti-aircraft site is on the right, at the edge of the picture, and yes the South Foreland Lighthouse is still there.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 18:35:51 »
That's right unfairytale,i think it was K.C.C. who had a clear up operation along the cliffs in the later years of the last century.I found some info on the Chain Home Low Radar on KHF which Kyn started and also elsewhere on the internet.A photo from Dover Museum shows the shells from a German gun apparently exploding near Fan Hole Battery(the photo was taken from France).In another photo was the sort of steel structure i can recall at Fan Hole.The Fan Hole one was minus the rotating part on top though when we came across it.A neighbour of Madam's brother was involved in some clearance work up there for a local contractor,probably not long after the war.I believe he helped cut up the gun barrels etc at this battery.
PS. Is the old South Foreland Lighthouse still standing or has cliff erosion sent it over the edge?

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 17:36:11 »
Yes it is Ellenkate.  :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines