News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fan Hole Battery, Dover  (Read 32317 times)

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
Re: Fan Hole Battery, Dover
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 17:32:20 »

Unfairytale -  in the interesting aerial photo of the battery I assume that is the aerial ropeway going across the picture, with coal to the harbour.
And a transfer station.

Ellen kate

--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 16:56:50 »
There was still quite a bit of it there in the late 70s early 80s; my annual school sponsored walk route passed them every year on it's way to the South Foreland Lighthouse.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 15:43:08 »
In the 1950's and 1960's most of these WW2 sites could still be easily visited,which we kids did.I can remember the round pits where the guns would have been and the large ring of bolts sticking up in each.Were there three guns?It looks like it from the photo.There were tunnels leading back from each gun position.I suppose these went to the magazines.A military road ran behind these batteries going from what i know as Reach Road(near the light railway road crossing)to another military site behind the South Foreland lighthouse.I cycled this road many times.Another road branched off,looped round the front of the battery and rejoined the main military road. The tunnels at Fan Hole we visited several times usually going down the flights of stairs.An exit as shown on BenG's map came out down on the side of Fan Hole near to a sound mirror.I didn't like using it then(around 50 years ago)due to it's dodgy state.I would be most reluctant to do so now even if i was young and fit and it was still open.A walk along the footpath round the edge of Fan Hole brought us to another site.This if i recall correctly was a low structure dug into the chalk so as not to be exposed to the Germans in France.On the thick concrete roof or nearby was a steel structure.This could not so easily be concealed and was something to do with a lower level of radar detection than the not so distant Pylons. One of which has just been demolished.I can't recall where i got this info from about the radar but the building was there as i can remember walking on it's roof.Nearby is that strange shaft cut in the cliff going down to Fan Bay.

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 22:47:40 »
Deep Shelter plan:

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 23:54:41 »
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)

Offline col

• Appreciation 3
    • Subterranean History
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 17:45:37 »
Another from family history collection, this one is my great uncle (I think). It's says 'Fan Hole' and is dated 27-7-41

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 22:36:23 »
The site of the no.2 searchlight:

scrabble

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 23:49:20 »
Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about a square shaft near the fan bay magazines? I've marked it on flashearth, but its quite difficult to see. http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.135936&lon=1.357958&z=20&r=0&src=msl

There are some lumps of concrete covering it and we have tried to shift it but we didnt have enough people to shift it and ended up with cut fingers and we lost a fence post in there. My first thoughts were that it looked liked an escape hatch for something, possibly for one of the magazines? I haven't been in the magazines yet, is something similar from the inside? I had alook at the above plans and cant see anything marked and its too small to see much from the aerial shots.

Unforntunatly, I'd forgotten my memory card for my camera, so no pictures yet  :(

Philio81

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 20:25:13 »
Wow love the photos Ben shame cant read the last bit of the of the "When you come into this hall" scribbling  :(

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
Fan Hole Battery, Dover
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 18:14:15 »
Heres some pictures of My visit to Fan Bay today:

Heres one of Magazine No2

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines