News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Sarre - WWII Underground HQ  (Read 13751 times)

Offline Ron Stilwell

• Appreciation 13
Re: Sarre - WWII Underground HQ
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 23:11:39 »
Excellent work Ron Stilwell. But it does mean I have to update my map of Thanet Defences, as I have never seen mention of the two pill boxs by the railway line.
Regarding the Ack-Ack site. Was this later than the rest of the Sarre Nodal point defences? The reason for my query is that the accommodation blocks still in the chalk pit are marked Male and Female. I think I`m correct in saying female staff would not have been based on a nodal point unit which would have been classed as the front line.  I cannot find any reference to an Ack-Ack site on this site at the early part of the war.
The pill-boxes down by the railway line were included after chats to a couple of elderly farm-workers and local people who saw them from the train.
The A-A battery by the windmill, I'm really not sure when it was put in place.  Still trying to get chapter and verse on that.  There is a very expensive book about the RAF defences I'm still trying to get hold of.  I don't think that the Nissen huts in the chalk pit are of terribly much help.  Some say they were there early on, some much later - but of course, the marking on the sides of huts, 'male and female' could have been added at any time in their life, as units changed.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 17:11:42 »
Excellent work Ron Stilwell. But it does mean I have to update my map of Thanet Defences, as I have never seen mention of the two pill boxs by the railway line.
Regarding the Ack-Ack site. Was this later than the rest of the Sarre Nodal point defences? The reason for my query is that the accommodation blocks still in the chalk pit are marked Male and Female. I think I`m correct in saying female staff would not have been based on a nodal point unit which would have been classed as the front line.  I cannot find any reference to an Ack-Ack site on this site at the early part of the war.

Offline Ron Stilwell

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 20:00:36 »
This is my map so far on the village defences.  I am trying to get additional information so that I can add the trenches and barbed wire entanglements.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 21:38:37 »
Thank you so much for posting this Ron Stilwell!

Offline Ron Stilwell

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 21:34:30 »
A 3D Diagram of the Sarre Underground Battle Headquarters.  Hopefully this will give a better idea of the layout of the HQ.  Made from measurements taken on a geological survey in the 1980's, and information from other peoples maps and photographs.

theartist

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 11:33:27 »
took a look yesterday, THE NISSAN HUTS HAVE BEEN UNCOVERED A LOT, and have been fenced, access easy though, did not dare go underground as i was on my own. was hoping for a more dramatic site, bit of a dull one. went to the hoverport at pegwell after, that was spectacular, mainly because of the sea and sky. gave some one a shunt getting out of the entrance space, he went bananas, no damage done. the car park is locked so only space for three vehicles and that is cramped. a good day apart from that.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 18:44:36 »
The field it gated and fenced with barbedwire and like all land in this country is owned by someone, I don't know who though.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 20:29:46 »
I'm going to bump this thread as I'm sure there's plenty of information out there that hasn't come to light yet.  :)

In 1940, Sarre was a Category 'A' nodal point within the command, lying in No.7 sector of 43 Division's Area Defence Scheme for East Kent and between July and August was prepared for all round defence by B Coy, 1st Canadian Pioneer Battalion (VII Corps).
In 1941, 131st Infantry Brigade took over responsibility for No.7 sector, establishing a Brigade HQ at Sarre Court, and a Battle HQ in tunnels dug into the banks of an old quarry.
During construction a double shift system with two gangs was worked, during the day miners from the Kent Coalfields worked and at night Sappers from 553 Field Coy RE assigned to 130 Brigade, part of 43rd (Wessex) Division, took over.
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 22:58:18 »
The  chalk pit at sarre village, as has been mentioned in previous posts has some nissen huts, these were nothing to do with the underground tunnel system. The huts were barracks for the nearby ack-ack site.
The guns were up by the windmill.

merc

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 17:22:29 »
It's an interesting place.

As stated before: it is a bit of a squeeze getting in and out, and you do get covered in chalk lol

Just a few pics

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 21:26:08 »
You get a bit chalky getting in  :o

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 20:15:59 »
Here are a few distant shots of the 5 Nissen huts in the middle of the chalk pit.

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 20:07:06 »
Popped up here this morning, here are my pictures showing a few other bits.

Plan:

Stairs down:

Looking back up the stairs:

Main tunnel:

Labelled sheeting:

Junction box:

Unlined section to brick built rooms:

Some signage:

Inside some of the brick built rooms:

Graffiti:

Some remaining parts of equipment:

ali23