News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: RAF Ash  (Read 15479 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
Re: RAF Ash
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 22:36:20 »
Link to five page history, with photos, of RAF Sandwich/RAF Ash. (Renamed c.1980).
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/s/sandwich/
Padstow May Song Lisa Knapp

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 19:54:08 »
AL LOGIC, one of the earlier private owners of Ash were related to Peter Laurie the author of the 1970s book "Beneath the City Streets", the early reference book for budding tunnel rats, perhaps that's why they buy bunkers. [They might be cheap but the electric bill is a bit steep].

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 12:43:47 »
Clanker     -

Many thanks.       Very interesting.

Offline clanker

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 11:26:05 »
Helcion
Smoke units, pyro mechanisms such as actuators etc.
This is their website http://www.kemica.co.uk/

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 08:54:04 »
Clanker    -

What are 'security pyrotechnics' ?

Flares etc ?

Thanks.

Offline clanker

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 22:28:47 »
Clanker, the site you are on about was the radio station to RAF Sandwich which was the WW2 site by the White Mill. The radar station was moved to Marshborough Rd. in the 1950s, rebuilt in the 1980s. Now a secure site for storage.
The Observer Corp post is at your site because the government already controlled it. Has nothing to do with the buildings now in use as, I think, a firework storage co.

Doug, I know the site you mean near the White Mill.
The Radar Station did indeed move to its site on Marshborough Rd. I visited it when it was RAF Ash and had a guided tour through some of the facility.
One of the funny stories I heard of the Marshborough Road site was that it was going to hold GLCM (Ground Launch Cruise Missiles) like Greenham Common had, local rumours.
Yes, the place I am talking about is the site you mention in your post, but it`s not firework storage, it`s security pyrotechnics, I know this as I used to work there.
There are several small rooms that are original, now used as offices. The main part is now divided into toilets, locker room, stores and a small workshop.
We used to find the odd .303 used cases in the ground when we were digging trenches for cabling to buildings.
Most of the windows are fitted with vertical bars and metal shutters.
An interesting building but not much history about it around, such as who used it and when.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 18:47:39 »
Clanker, the site you are on about was the radio station to RAF Sandwich which was the WW2 site by the White Mill. The radar station was moved to Marshborough Rd. in the 1950s, rebuilt in the 1980s. Now a secure site for storage.
The Observer Corp post is at your site because the government already controlled it. Has nothing to do with the buildings now in use as, I think, a firework storage co.

Offline clanker

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 17:02:56 »
There is a second site in Ash that has some uncertainty about it, that's the site of Kemica Ltd in Saunders Lane.
I used to work there a few years back, the building is clearly ex military of some sort by the construction of it and the type of metal doors fitted, the current owner, my old boss said it was RAF.
The building apparently held radio equipment and has filled in channeling in the floor where cabling used to run.
And in the ground were fixings possibly for a mast.
One of the buildings used for manufacture is similar to a small accommodation block, as you walked in there was a toilet one side and a sink in separate cubicles and a originally a fireplace was fitted.
The site also has an ROC obs. post in one corner.
But I have never found any info on the place and older locals have no knowledge of the places role.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 19:25:55 »
The radar consul from Ash in the museum at Brenzett is less than complete. The best one on display in this country is at the radar museum at RAF Naeatishead.[ check if you intend to visit the health and safety Nazis have at present shut it due to concern about fire exits] Sorry if your a health and safety officer, should have got an honest job.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 12:28:50 »
This console was used in R3 bunker at RAF Ash.  It is now one of the artifacts in The RAF Manston History Museum

There's one in Brenzett Aeronautical Museum as well Kyn.
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 11:34:16 »
This console was used in R3 bunker at RAF Ash.  It is now one of the artifacts in The RAF Manston History Museum

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
RAF Ash
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 16:18:53 »
Mmm..try this one (4th application down) http://www.dover.gov.uk/planning/applic_net/decision_list.aspx?archive_date=3/27/2009 . As an alternative here is a direct link to the Desk based Report on Ash: http://www.secure.dover.gov.uk/planning_online/acollate_docs/85619_6.pdf

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
RAF Ash
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 15:43:35 »
Possibly the best source of info you could want for Ash is hidden away on the DDC Planning site http://www.dover.gov.uk/planning/applic_net/detail.aspx?systemkey=210363 here you will find all manner of reports and plans relating to the site. Go to the documents tab and enjoy browsing!

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
RAF Ash
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 14:42:36 »
Ash radio station, This was the radio station for RAF Sandwich, most radio stations were set apart from the home unit, this one is set at the top of Saunders lane which is just of the A257 road. a single storey building one course of brick thick with a flat conrete roof, asphalt covering, was in quite good condition last time i visited [ the building is/was in use by a firework company] next to the building is an observor corp post which was also in good condition. This site had no connections with the cold war UKADGE bunker round in Woodnesborough rd.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
RAF Ash
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 12:03:56 »
If any body wants a look at the bunker at Ash, there advertising for security guards, some you could get a guided tour at the job interview.
I Got a guided tour around the Citadel at Dover by applying for a job as a carpenter, didnt get the job thank god.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines