News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: RAF Ash  (Read 15412 times)

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
RAF Ash
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 17:39:24 »
RAF ASH was built as part of the ROTEL system, the original radar site was at Sandwich but due to the very high water table it was not possible to build underground. The site at Ash was already a quarry so it only took a bit more digging, by the time the site was finished, the system was obsolete. The upper level buildings were leased to the Civil Aviation Authority who used the site up till the 1980s. The RAF took the site back and proceeded to dig up the hill to double the size of the bunker. After completion the site became part of the UKAGE system, although only used for training operators, the site could at any time take over from other units if need be. The site was parented by Manston for most of its time, although for a short period it was self accounting as RAF Ash, personel lived at either Manston, Sandwich married quaters or Deal Barracks. The bunker was sold of to AL logic who store computer records.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
RAF Ash
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 22:50:52 »
I heard there was one there but I can't remember where I heard it.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
RAF Ash
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 20:50:38 »
Seem to recall I have read somewhere Ash was a POW camp during WW2 or was that a different Ash?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
RAF Ash
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 16:04:54 »
 :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines