News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Faversham Gunpowder Works - the Great Explosion of 1916  (Read 31756 times)

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
Re: Faversham Gunpowder Works - the Great Explosion of 1916
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 19:33:39 »
The entire Cotton Powder Mills Works Fire Brigade were wiped out in the disaster.

Fireman Stephen Epps, Fireman Herbert Foley, Fireman Stephen Vidgeon Sayewell (plus other names unknown)

"The Great Explosion"
"At 14.20 on Sunday 2nd April 1916, 109 men and boys were killed by an explosion at the Explosives Loading company factory, Uplees near Faversham. 15 tons of TNT and 150 tons of ammonium nitrate blew up when some empty sacks caught fire.

So great was the explosion, the windows across the Thames Estuary in Southend were shattered and the tremor was felt in Norwich. The crater made by the explosion was 40 yards across by 20 feet deep. the Cotton Powder Mills Company's huge factory adjacent to the Explosives Loading Company's plant was also seriously damaged. This was the worst disaster ever to occur in the history of the the UK's Explosives Industry. A brave attempt was made to extinguish the fire before it got out of control but the factory manager, George Evetts ordered everyone to leave the site when the situation became hopeless. However, the explosion occurred as everyone was leaving the site. Included in the (116) dead was the entire works fire brigade. Many firemen died in subsequent smaller explosions on the site. Many bodies were recovered from the surrounding marshes and dykes,  but seven were recorded as missing, most probally atomised by the explosion.

Many of the dead were buried in a mass grave at Faversham Cemetery on 6th April 1916"

Local Insurance company Fire Brigades attended together with the Army and many awards for bravery were announced in the London gazette about four years later.

Extract from KFRS Roll of Honour.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 14:58:09 »
That's awful.  Just spotted a man standing there in the middle of it all, with his reflection showing in the water.  What with gunpowder explosions blowing up factories, and bombs etc. blowing up ships, there's certainly a lot of damage been caused over the years hasn't there?  Nowadays a factory wouldn't be allowed to open if there was the slightest hint of a problem.
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 16:00:35 »

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 22:34:23 »
I hope that is the reason, would hate for this just to be neglected!

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 21:52:45 »
it could be that Dafs etc are being left to regenerate the bulbs before cutting. If you cut off the stems and leaves too soon you get blind plants the following year. Just a thought as it  looks like current years growth there.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 21:20:27 »
I was surprised the grave has been left to become so overgrown!

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 08:12:52 »

See The Terrible Explosion April 1916,  at the gunpowder works -  on Faversham website:
http://www.faversham.org/pages/standard.aspx?i_PageID=15849

Ellenkate
--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

oldsunset

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 08:00:59 »
1st April 1916: Mourners attend a mass funeral at Faversham, Kent, for the victims of an explosion

anyone shed light on this ?

terriable lot of coffins in this photo must be over a 100 bodies

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/3064005/Hulton-Archive

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 21:49:12 »
Isn't there a pic or print of (I think) Reculver with the explosion in the background - not sure if its this one of the 1847 one (see new thread)?

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 21:39:08 »
Were there a number of munitions works at Faversham? I ask as a I have found reference in some government annual estimates of expenditure for costs associated with a gunpowder factory at Faversham.

There are at least 2 further inland - Oare Mills (leaflet on page 1 of thread) are just off the A2 going towards Oare and there is the remains of one right in the town.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 15:46:06 »
Were there a number of munitions works at Faversham? I ask as a I have found reference in some government annual estimates of expenditure for costs associated with a gunpowder factory at Faversham.

Ann G

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 14:30:49 »
 Interested to see this, my only surviving aunt (aged 95) lost her father in this explosion, she lived at Throwley and her father  Walter Kerrison was buried there rather than with the victims in Faversham, my aunt says that Lord Harris  paid to have him buried along with another local,

Ann G.

Offline WildWeasel

• Appreciation 2
  • How do Road Gritters get to work ?
Faversham Gunpowder Works - the Great Explosion of 1916
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 20:45:14 »
My Grandmother was born in & lived in a Coastguard cottage at Oare ( she maintains ! ) & says she remembers this event... At her current age she would have been born in 1911 so its just about possible...My memories of being 5 are very limited but a major event like this may have stuck & I believe that a trick of our memory is that early events become easier to recall as we age...
She also talks of groups of children waiting alonside the railway line at Faversham where troops returning ( or going !) to the WW1 lines would throw sweets out to them... Fascinating but hard to extract the facts these days

WW
If it's too hard I can't do it !

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines