News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RAF Manston  (Read 71493 times)

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 27
  • History from above
Manston dereliction
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2017, 11:33:40 »
Hard to imagine B747's or American bombers screaming down the runway now, or the terminal thronging with passengers
Still, I'm sure they will all be remembered in the street names!
Trikeman
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Offline ChampChump

• Appreciation 0
Re: RAF Manston
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2017, 00:27:01 »
There has hardly been a mention of the lorry park at Manston, yet I took theses pics in October. All beautifuly marked out with portaloos strategically placed. A prize for anyone who can count the squares and estimate the number of Artics they will be able to take. Pity the poor Thanet way when they try and shift that lot!
Trikeman

Funny you should say that (ok, I'm a little late to the party).  I took a very similar photo around the same time and calculated that there were in excess of about 3000+ spots there.  Curiously, since that expensive paint job, it's been used precisely - never.  I think they've removed the portaloos.

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 27
  • History from above
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2017, 10:32:05 »
Fire Training School

Latest picture of all aircraft taken 4.17

Offline doug

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2016, 19:08:49 »
On the 28th May the two museums at Manston will celebrate the 100 years of Aviation at the airfield the event starts at 10.00 and ends at 1600 hours.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2016, 15:24:52 »
I came across some coloured slides in the archives taken at Manston in 1968 during the filming of the "Battle of Britain".In the background on two of the photographs can be seen an Invicta Airways and Air Ferry plane.

Ted

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 27
  • History from above
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2016, 22:18:43 »
There has hardly been a mention of the lorry park at Manston, yet I took theses pics in October. All beautifuly marked out with portaloos strategically placed. A prize for anyone who can count the squares and estimate the number of Artics they will be able to take. Pity the poor Thanet way when they try and shift that lot!
Trikeman

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2015, 10:14:51 »
Let us know when the bits are joined back together Doug and I'll make the
trip down there to see it.  :)
mmitch.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2015, 16:15:19 »
RAF Manston history museum took delivery of Lightning XR 770 on Tuesday 3rd March.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2015, 10:49:45 »
The saga drags on. Plenty of mud slinging between the parties. Meanwhile the airfield has been asset stripped. The Government has promised a 'review' but that looks like after the election. The developers want to build houses but not schools, surgeries etc.
The new SAR base which should have been built by now looks like it is going to Lydd.
mmitch.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2015, 21:27:53 »
I regret that I have difficulty in keeping up with the news nowadays. Has a final decision been made as to Manstonís future?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 27
  • History from above
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2015, 21:15:31 »
Manston Defence Fire Training and Development Centre

Meanwhile on the other side of the airfield - at the Manston Defence Fire Training and Development Centre - they are not shredding but burning the pride of the British Aircraft Industry - albeit for a far more worthy cause.
See how many aircraft hulks you can spot: Phantoms, Tornados, Jaguars, Harriers, Dominies plus numerous helicopters a Buccaneer and a Nimrod. It's enough to make an aircraft spotter weep!
Trikeman

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 27
  • History from above
Manston
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2015, 19:27:15 »
Manston Vandalism Jan 2015

Take a look at the Aeronautical carnage taking place at the former Battle of Britain airfield of Manston.
This is all that's left of a once mighty Boeing 747, which would have cost its original owners around $40million in the mid 1970's - now reduced to a pile of shredded aluminium. They also did this on the immaculate tarmac parking area right in front of the terminal - as if the original act vandalism wasn't enough! The DC8 is obviously next and will be the last of all the large airliners that have been a familiar sight at Manston for the last 20 years. So much is the haste to clear the site ready for development.
The landing light disappeared just a few weeks after the airfield officially closed
As the song goes: 'West Malling no more, Hawkinge no more, Lympne no more, Manston no more'
Trikeman

Offline doug

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2011, 19:22:15 »
Nothing, it also keeps cars on the road.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2011, 19:09:12 »
Does anyone know what`s beneath this mound, if anything at all, at Spitfire Way?

Offline doug

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2011, 22:21:50 »
The Battle of Britain Memorial flight, is commanded by Squadron Leader Ian Smith, the Jaguar at the RAF Manston Museum was also flown by him.
The Memorial flight will do a fly past on the 14th August, The Red Arrows will also be at Manston, with a display by the Spirit of Kent Spitfire,at the same time a motor bike convoy for the Afghan Heroes fund will travel from Ebbsfleet will arrive at Manston ABout 11.00 am.[ Last year that was about 1100 bikes]

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines