News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RAF Manston  (Read 68983 times)

DoverDan

Re: RAF Manston
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 22:36:52 »
Luftwaffe recon photo showing the airfield sometime shortly after a devastating trio of raids which occurred on 24th August 1940 which almost resulted in manston being completely abandoned instead it became an emergency landing ground only.

Offline Robin

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 21:54:17 »
As part of the Official party, I attended the short ceremony yesterday at Manston to commemorate the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain, when the Vice Lord Lieutenant, Viscount De L'Isle laid a wreath on the memorial by the Spitfire and Hurricane Museum, a number of wreaths were also laid by local civic dignitaries.  There was an excellent turnout from the public, and the presence of 10 veterans organisation Standards added a splash of colour to the proceedings.

Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 12:10:22 »

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
RAF Manston
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 19:32:46 »
For any one out there interested in aviation the RAF Manston Museum has just taken in a new exhibit, which is a T-33 trainer jet from the 1950s. a common site over east kent at that time.

Monkton Malc

RAF Manston
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 19:33:15 »
Some nice footage of Manston in 1956 with the USAF doing air sea rescue.

Not sure if you are allowed to smoke in the cockpit nowadays.......

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=605

Monkton Malc

RAF Manston
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 23:17:02 »
Went over to the spitfire museum yesterday and noticed this outside the history museum...

Not sure how long this has been there as most times that I have been past the place has been at night so never noticed it before.
The chap in the spitfire museum said it had been knocking around for some time and had been "in a bit of a state" when he last saw it in the yard...

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
RAF Manston
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 19:23:51 »
Jaguars were finally grounded in 2006, there are two at Manston GR3. XX116 Belongs to the fire school. Jaguar GR3 XZ 106 came out of service in 2005, when the pilot was asked why it came out off service early he said it always worked when you wnted it to.
There probably a few jaguars that can taxi at Cranwell and St. Athan but non flying in Britain, anybody got any spares please contact me.

LenP

RAF Manston
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 21:58:51 »
The third is a Jaguar Len

Well I should have recognised that, but I don't think I've ever seen one from above before. I was on holiday in North Norfolk a couple of years ago and saw plenty of tornadoes making their way out to the ranges over the wash. I'm pretty sure I saw a Jaguar once as well, which surprised me, are the RAF still flying them?

WildWeasel

RAF Manston
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 22:21:40 »
There's an interesting Museum at Manston...Quite a few bits about firefighting I seem to remember they pioneered a system whereby an aircraft with problems that meant it couldnt lower its undercarriage ( Wheels ) could belly land on a Blanket of foam..
Gave it up as it was an enviromental nightmare...

Manston is one of the longest ( if not The Longest ) runways in the UK...This was why its been a diversion airfield for just about everything flying in UK Airspace....Someone told me it is actually long enough to recover the Space Shuttle in an emergency...
I know Keflavik in Iceland has the same designation and having flown in & out of there m
ore times than I can care to remember fully believe that Manston is of a similar size if not longer....

I took a flight out ( & back in !! ) from Manston with a friend many years ago in a Cessna 172....When we took off we had more than enough hard stuff to safely land back on again...Believe me its a long,long runway...

I would love to see it put to more use as an alternative to making more problems around Heathrow Gatwick or Stansted....
Still if Boris the Pratt gets his way we may end up with the long promised Offshore Airport in the Thames Estuary off Sheppey
I reckon thats a good plan.... Any opinions welcome...
WW

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
RAF Manston
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 10:23:02 »
That Canberra has been there years :)
Last time i looked at it about 1993,It was OK not chopped about.  ;)
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
RAF Manston
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 00:05:23 »
The third is a Jaguar Len

LenP

RAF Manston
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 22:19:01 »
Just a little way from Monkton Malc's link are these three beauts:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=sjs469h3c08x&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=7613313&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

But change the view to 'aerial' and they're not there, although the Canberra is in both.

A Buccaneer, a Phantom and what's the third? and are they there
now?

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
RAF Manston
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 23:26:31 »
Missed one

48 sqn Anson lost power and ditched at Tankerton 26 June 1936

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
RAF Manston
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 23:01:39 »
Old Manston Pics-

9 sqn Vickers Vimy FB27 on of only 12 of this model completed at Crayford and serving at Manston 1918

Bristol fighters of 2 sqn alongside the Ramsgate Road in 1927

Cllr Kenyse dressed as Hengist with the Mayor of Ramsgate and a 500 sqn Vickers Virginia for Ramsgate Air Pageant 1934.

500 sqn awaiting inspection 1935

609 sqn Typhoons take off 1943.

Invicta Airways DC and Viscount 1968

USAF 1950's
F-86D Sabre

F-84F Thunderstreak

Offline rdfb2

• Appreciation 1
RAF Manston
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 21:51:12 »
i have also visited this site since  a child back in about 1968 to now,  every year i pop in whenever in the area,stopped of this year and bumped into a group of moped enthuisastes , who were visiting and doing a tour of kent, and staying at camp sites along the way,which they do every year,the bikes are parked about the same place as the spitfire is in the picture,but in around the late 60s it was parked further back from the road.and in a much poorer condition.

SOME DAYS YOUR THE DOG ,SOME YOUR THE LAMP POST

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines