News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RAF Manston  (Read 45158 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
Re: RAF Manston
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2017, 20:18:34 »
We had a lot of vegetables. Baby Sweetcorn, peas, etc. The stuff you will find in the 75p -1 packets in the super markets. Most went to Stevenage for Asda, M&S, Sainsburys and Morrisons. I believe that the majority is still coming in via 747's and HGV's from Liege, Oostende, Luxembourg, Schipol, Brussels (I ain't trying the proper spelling there) and (deep breath) Maastricht (phew dund it). We did not often do that many flowers, I was the only one who did the Hauge run on a regular basis. The lads from another company got the flowers and they ran to Zwetloots at Sandy (A1 near Bedford, 1st left past the adult toy shop...) or out to Spalding. One other minor point was that a lot of the boxes were badly damaged and the veg would spill out, never were the flower boxes damaged (strange that, I was never responsible for any damage), anyway believe me we all had out 'five a day' before it was even a thing...

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2017, 07:58:35 »
And regular Ant 124s, sometimes a 44tonner would back right inside for loading. :)
I remember those 'Flowers from Africa' flights. Usually two A300s landed on Monday lunch times, first truck out the gate within an hour.
mmitch.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2017, 11:31:13 »
The ability to land the largest aircraft is an overlooked factor as regards Manston - don`t assume every large, busy commercial airport can accommodate a `Jumbo` or A380, few can.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2017, 08:13:07 »
Would the 322m tall communication mast proposed for the former Richborough power station site have any influence on any surrounding flight paths? I was told by a friend, who owns a small aircraft, that if it gets built it would further blight any possibility of aircraft using the Manston airfield?

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 54
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2017, 23:52:20 »
KLM say they would like to re-instate the link to the Amsterdam air hub if Manston gets the go ahead..  From there - the World ...

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2017, 21:30:29 »
In my limited experience I noted that around 40% of airfreight coming into Heathrow, Gatwick, Stanstead, Luton and formerly Manston was put on trucks headed for Cheriton and Dover. Strange as this sounds we (the UK) seem to be quite a clearing house for airfreight. One of my favorite runs was Manston to The Hauge with cut flowers. This was under a time pressure and I had eight hours from being loaded to delivery point. If all went well then I could do it in around 4 or 4 1/4 hours via the tunnel. However when thing went wrong... The return load was always from Oostende Airport and it would take a 10 hour drive to get from Manston to Oostende via The Hauge, legal I might add as we could do an extension twice a fortnight. Dealing with the CMR forms and customs could be fun at times (free roaming with freight? That would be nice), certain products are moved around the EU quite freely, however if you have to stop at a border then expect to be inspected, Germany has a differing road taxation system from the rest of Europe, at Cheriton you have to get the lorry taxed for France, the low Countries etc, excepting Gemany of course. Then there are random checks (always to Brit registered vehicles of course) at Cheriton you have to clear the Brit scanner then the French scanner (like anyone ever wants to become an illegal migrant there from the UK). If the tunnel is not running then pray you can get on one of the DFDS boats to Dunkerque as they do the vignette (road tax) on the ferry (plus the food is good and the showers are spotless and with five bars you can get plenty of duty free fags (not that I smoke anymore)). However if Calais is your port then you have to shoot around to Gasoline Alley and get your vignette in the big truckstop there. Trust me at times 8 hrs was pushing it, remember also that the speed limit in the Netherlands is 85kph (around 48mph), unlike Belgium and France where it is 90kph......

Do I miss it? Do I hell! The inherent racism from the French customs (I took to flying a Welsh flag on my bunk and was better looked after after that) at the ports, the constant tugs from the Douanes and Gendarmes (for nothing more than being Brit) for constantly using the same stretches of road day in day out when there were blatant infringements being committed all around you by the former Iron Curtain Countries. The so called 'free market movement' might exist but not for the UK or its haulage Industry.

Manston really needs to be developed as a freight hub. There are very good road links to the rest of the UK and the Continent even a rail link could easily be put in if required. I have sever doubts that Manston could ever be a viable passenger hub, too remote from a major center of population (London (however a rail link could help matters there)) but for freight it is ideal. It also has the advantage that it is still set up for freight....

S4......
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2017, 12:17:42 »
A company name Riveroak (UK) are in the process of a Development Consent Order (DCO) to return Manston to a working airport.  The main plan is for it to be a freight hub with commercial flights later.

Public Consultation has already taken place.

If the DCO is approved, I understand it overrides all other consents including compulsory purchase etc.  Another company want to turn it into a vast housing estate to cater for overspill housing.

So, we might still see planes flying out of Manston in the future.

Let us hope so as the failure to recognise the potential of Manston as an airport has been quite astonishing. However, there are many pitfalls all round. Another venture is to re-introduce accompanied freight traffic Ramsgate-Ostend, starting next March, No one, in a world wide trawl, has been able to find available the three suitable ro-ro vessels required.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 54
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2017, 10:46:37 »
A company name Riveroak (UK) are in the process of a Development Consent Order (DCO) to return Manston to a working airport.  The main plan is for it to be a freight hub with commercial flights later.

Public Consultation has already taken place.

If the DCO is approved, I understand it overrides all other consents including compulsory purchase etc.  Another company want to turn it into a vast housing estate to cater for overspill housing.

So, we might still see planes flying out of Manston in the future.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2017, 10:37:04 »
mikeb: at the risk of straying (albeit factually) into current affairs, the short answer to your question is "yes, but".  The two principal buts are: it's commercially in the wrong place for Dover Straits traffic and how would you get the traffic to/from Dover and Cheriton from a statutory/"Customs" point of view - and, indeed, from a social/H&S one.  It's not current government policy to mandate future UK "Customs" import or export clearance to be at a single physical location per 'route'; however, Manston is evidentially an asset that the state already has, as opposed to one that it might acquire or construct.

Mickleburgh: "Customs" clearance per se is not part of the UK/EU27 negotiations.  In large part, the UK will have scope to shape its future inbound and outbound processes, although I understand that government policy is for them to be conformant with the Union Customs Code (UCC).  Customs processes are largely an EU competence, not an individual Member State one, so the French definitely will have to comply with the UCC.  It is their inbound processes (on our outbound traffic) that could well trigger Operation Stack, to which the current answer is "send the trucks to Manston".  As Sentinel S4 may well recall, there are two mechanisms for getting road haulage across borders and 'playing Customs' later, eg. inland at the likes of Lenham ICD, or at destination in Eire and so on.  These are: Common Transit and TIR - neither being an EU institution.  The UK is currently covered by each, but the snag is, only by virtue of being a part of the EU, which is the "club member" of the mechanisms.  The UK could apply to (re-)join the mechanisms in its own right, eg. Serbia, Turkey and the EFTA states are members of CT and basically everyone's a member of TIR, but I am unaware that it has done so yet.

I say "Customs" because clearance is not just about collecting statistics, collecting/securing any duties and taxes, and handing out any refunds - there is a whole raft of non-fiscal controls that the EU and the UK apply to goods to/from anyone who isn't in the EU.  Plant health controls can usually be done inland, but controls on "meat/animal products" (the scope of which is surprisingly wide) typically take place at the border - ouch!  These non-fiscal controls are probably proper to the Brussels negotiations, but I haven't heard a dicky-bird about them.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2017, 08:30:13 »
Could Manston be the new proposed customs clearance point post Brexit?

That might be seen as a distinct possibility if it were not too much like advanced pre-planning thinking for the present bunch of negotiators to be capable of.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2017, 22:11:21 »
I forget the number of times I have been loaded on the apron in front of the Terminal. We were loaded direct from a 747, Luxair or MKM, into the back of our lorries. There were normally 10 or 15 of us for the one aircraft. One day whilst we were there the BoB Memorial Flight landed and parked away from us on the apron but we still managed a tour of all three planes, the crews were magnificent but refused to show us how to start them. The excuse was that we would nick the plane as all truck Drivers are thieving b'stards. Turned out the Spitfire Pilot`s brother was a truck Driver.... Hey Ho! I could have used that Lanc. to do a few drops, I had to drive from Manston to The Hague so it would have saved me a bit of time..........

They were happy times. That place should be taking the Air Freight away from Heathrow and that way they would not need another damn runway. Must now get off the soap box like a good S4....

S4.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 98
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2017, 19:55:37 »
I stopped wondering how much it cost and did a look up on Google . Shocked to say the least .
Quote "The cost of keeping the former Manston airport on standby as an emergency lorry park for Operation Stack has cost the taxpayer at least 3.5 million, we can reveal.

The Department for Transport has paid the owners of the 800-acre site 3.539m to prepare and maintain the site in the event of Operation Stack being implemented.

It has stood idle since being placed on standby last September but is continuing to cost hundreds of thousands of pounds in case it is needed."

Source Kent on Line 26 Oct 2016.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2017, 18:36:34 »
It was probably just Banksy...
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2017, 18:20:56 »
Could Manston be the new proposed customs clearance point post Brexit?

At least that would mean the white paint wasn't wasted!

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 98
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2017, 18:09:18 »
Great Photo as usual Trikeman.
 Wonder how much it cost to mark out the runway for operation stack use.
Don't think it has ever been used or needed.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines