News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Royal Military Canal, Hythe  (Read 6025 times)

merc

Re: Royal Military Canal, Hythe
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 16:49:03 »
The Royal Military Canal was built between 1804 and 1809 for strategic defence in the Napoleonic Wars. The 28 mile long canal cuts across the landward edge of Romney Marsh. It stretches from Seabrook (near Folkestone) to Cliff End (near Hastings). Soldiers of the Royal Staff Corps, under Lt Colonel John Brown, supervised the work. It has a towpath on the seaward side and a low rampart on the landward side, with a military road behind. William Pitt the Younger (The English Prime Minister at the time) ordered the building of the canal, and the scheme was supported by King George III. This is the only English canal with 'Royal' in its name. In 1810, to celebrate 50 years of Georges III's reign, some of the land next to the canal at Hythe was turned into ornamental walks, avenues and gardens. Then in 1874, the town of Hythe was able to buy the section of canal that runs through the town, and added it to the pleasure grounds.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Royal Military Canal, Hythe
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 18:49:37 »
Money Spent on Hythe Canal 1860-61.

Latrines - 32

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Royal Military Canal, Hythe
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:38:53 »
Wow that looks really good from that angle, I didn't notice the zig zag canal on google earth!

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
Royal Military Canal, Hythe
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 22:30:36 »
Never realised Hythe had made such an effort - will have to take a look.
Canal is a real feature of the Romney Marsh when viewed from the air - I've flown along it many times and it's quite unique.
Cleverly designed for the gunners to shoot down the staggered lengths and get the Napoleonic invaders as they tried to cross.
Trikeman

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines