News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hythe - 'Sound Mirror'  (Read 8679 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
Re: Hythe - 'Sound Mirror'
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 20:38:01 »
I heard that the biggest problem was working out the distance, as in how far away the 'aircraft' was. They could not tell the difference between a Bumble Bee 10' away or an aircraft flying in over the Channel.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

m3ozp

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 20:23:06 »
Somwhere I do have a colour photo I took of the Sound mirror that collapsed.  I lived in Hythe back in the 1970's and spent a lot of time up on the Roughs around the Sound Mirrors.  We colud even climb up and get on top of the one that collapesd, which had a wall so you couldn't fall over the edge. On the dish itself someone had painted on it UKC ELECTRO.  Not sure what it meant but I did hear rumour that some company or organisation had used it for reasons unknown back in the 50's or 60's.

I'll try and dig out my photo of it and post it on here.

Chris.

chuffchuff

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 13:06:26 »
Somewhere in the TV archives, (Southern I think) Roy Humphries was up there with a crew
sometime in the 70's ish, and they mounted a mic on the arm and recorded ( memory is probably
wrong on this) a Canberra flying over the coast from Hythe to Dymchurch.

BenG

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 20:08:31 »
Up on The Roughs to the west of Hythe are two sound mirrors built during the 1st World War to detect enemy aircraft coming across the channel.
The 30ft mirror is still standing though in a bad state of repair but in a fenced compound. The 20ft mirror to the east as fallen over on to its face. A large concrete structure below the 30ft mirror still stands and a few other concrete foundations can be seen near the 20ft mirror.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Hythe - 'Sound Mirror'
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 00:07:51 »
 ;D

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines