News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fort Halstead  (Read 16363 times)

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
Re: Fort Halstead
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 16:29:59 »
A new era of threat leads to new technology in use: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8388848.stm
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline clive

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 20:11:59 »
Have a look at this site for details of Fort Halsted

http://www.secret-bases.co.uk/secret5.htm#fort-halstead

Clive
Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.......

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 10:51:15 »
The Ammunition Laboratory alongside the central traverse was added in 1915. The fort was sold to a retired Colonel Bradshaw in 1922. He lived in the laboratory. Scouts and Guides used the fort as a camp. The War Office re-purchased the fort in 1937. The plans may date from this period. It was used to fill 3-inch AA rockets.
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 19:47:53 »
I was not allowed to take any photos unfortunately. E.H. have undertaken a full survey however and perhaps they will release the report eventually. Some of the casemates have been converted to test cells but are mostly intact. The ditch has been filled in places but will be dug by the developer as part of the agreement with E.H.

Almost the same plan? This is how the fort is now! The nuclear facility is outside the fort.

We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

Offline WildWeasel

• Appreciation 2
  • How do Road Gritters get to work ?
Fort Halstead
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:01:56 »
Fort Halsted was pretty locked down at least in the Eighties..When I worked for GEC Marconi Avionics I had to sign the official Secrets act as did everyone who worked there.
Some years later I was involved in a project which required the next level up of screening which was no problem and gave me the MOD sites I needed to visit. EOD at Chattenden was one regular as was RAF Lineham in Wiltshire and Stirling Lines, Hereford

When it came to visiting Halsted it was a big NO !
I cant find anything in family history that  would cause problems apart from the fact that my Maternal Grandfather was in Russia around the time of the revolution...
I suspect it may have been due to the fact that I naively joined a CND march in Chatham when I was younger...

One story regarding Halsted that used to do the rounds was that the Lockerbie Pan AM 747 was re-assembled there.....

WW
If it's too hard I can't do it !

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines