News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dover Harbour (Admiralty Harbour)  (Read 58212 times)

Offline CommanderChuff

• Appreciation 4
Re: Dover Harbour (Admiralty Harbour)
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2017, 17:37:39 »
I wrote a letter to the Dover Express last week without an answer.

What amazes me is the construction of the Admiralty Pier, Eastern Arm and Breakwater over 100 years ago.  The waters here are very deep (up to 90 feet?).   
Given the pounding these constructions had from the elements, they must have been made very well.
If you think of it, without the water, they are very precarious being very tall and thin.  Did they have to dig down into the sea bed to create level ground and give good foundation?  Or is just the weight of construction and bonding that gives it the strength to withstand the wind, waves and undercurrents?
All this done without modern technology.  It really was a job well done.
Terry Sutton (Dover Express)reported that the 1839 Parliamentary Commission called for three harbours of refuge along the coast with priority for Dover.  If Folkestone was the second does anyone know what was the third please?

This enquiry is from 2010 but I was interested in finding out more info on the POR status of Folkestone for my modeling project of that place. And as yacht sailor on the south coast was more than interested in case of emergency whilst out on the water.

I know that Folkestone was considered for POR status but was rejected because it was impossible to guarantee access for ships at all levels of tide.  The first southern pier was a timber and steel rail affair and was built in 1867, but even with the first solid block extension pier in 1883 the harbour was not granted POR status.   There was some idea that a pilot station could be provided but this appears not to have been taken forward.

The following is from Lorraine on the Dover Historian, 

'In the General election of 1837, John Minet Fector junior was rejected in favour of Edward Royds Rice (1790-1878), who lived at Dane Court, Tilmanstone. He was a partner in the Latham Bank and his manifesto centred on a harbour refuge at Dover. Following his arrival at Westminster he pursued his objective with vigour and in 1839 he successfully laid a motion calling for an inquiry into the need for more harbours of refuge and a Commission was set up to look into the proposition. Under Sir James Gordon the Commission  included William Cubitt who had given evidence at the 1836 Inquiry and was, by this time, working for the South Eastern Railway Company (SER). The Commission concluded that there should be three large harbours of refuge along the south coast. For its part, SER had bought Folkestone harbour in March 1843 for £18,000 and were pressing for the proposal to be in Hythe Bay. At last, in 1847, approval was given for four large harbours of refuge – Holyhead, Portland, Alderney and Dover.' 

This extract is a part of much more detailed history of the events leading to the building of Dover as we know it today. 
David,
Royal Navy, Aircraft Engineer, Project Manager, Yachtsman, Eroica Cyclist,  Railway Modeller

Barry 5X

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2016, 07:59:02 »
I have just noted a film on Sky Channel 343 (Talking Pictures) called "Calling All Cars" classified as a "Comedy documentary - centring on the Dover Harbour car terminal".

This 1954 film directed by Maclean Rogers and featuring Cardew (the Cad) Robinson, Adrienne Fancey, John Fitzgerald and Pauline Olsen, features the construction of the new car ferry terminal and the (H shaped) loading ramps, the ferry Lord Warden and shots of the Dover Priory approach road taken from a position outside of Dover College on the Folkestone Road.

As classified it is really a promotional documentary on the "new" car ferry terminal at Dover and the plot and the comedy is atrocious - however it recalled many memories for me - I was aged 10 when this film was made.

I wondered whether this film would have been more apt for inclusion under "Films and programmes featuring Kent"  however I feel inclusion under "Dover Harbour (Admiralty Harbour)"  is a more appropriate category.

This film has been shown on several occasions on "Talking Pictures" recently but sadly I find that it is not scheduled to be shown again in the near future.  It should be noted for future reference that this movie channel features many films made from the 1950's to 1970's.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2015, 12:25:33 »
Sandwich blockyard June 1901:

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2015, 12:24:49 »
Rye blockyard June 1901:

PeterHarrison

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2014, 18:22:38 »
And here are the latest ideas for the re-development of Dover Harbour

http://www.doverport.co.uk/?page=DoverWesternDocksRevival

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2011, 12:56:36 »
From The Graphic. 1909

Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2011, 12:55:19 »
From The Sphere, 1901.

Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Nemo

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2011, 14:59:27 »
In 1907 part of the Southern Breakwater had to be taken down and rebuilt, when the knuckle end was hit and shifted 8' by the SS Finland.  An artist was on hand at the time and his sketches appear at http://www.flickr.com/photos/uofglibrary/4545863642/

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2011, 23:15:06 »
DS239

If you do post that I.R.S. article,remember that pages 136 and 137 are the wrong way round,so they need to be posted and read in the order: p.135-137-136-138,otherwise the text doesn't make much sense..

Thank you.     I had noticed.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2011, 00:06:27 »
There is a comprehensive article on the use of railways during the harbour construction works, including a list of the locomotives used & a photo of operations at Sandwich, in Issue 63 of the 'Industrial Railway Record' which was published in 1975.

I will ask the Editor if he is happy for the article to be posted on KHF.

Hi Helcion,

If you do post that I.R.S. article, remember that pages 136 and 137 are the wrong way round, so they need to be posted and read in the order: p.135-137-136-138, otherwise the text doesn't make much sense.

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2011, 15:17:26 »
Keniff - Thanks for your responses.

On the back of the picture it says "New Cliff Rd Dover, Steam Navvy cutting away cliffs". I have done a little research and it would appear that this shot was taken during the East Cliff reclamation work prior to or during the construction of the Eastern Arm and the early phase of the construction of the Eastern Docks.

I wonder whether the photo has been printed back-to-front (unless they started forming the ledge for the road from both the top & the bottom).

There is a comprehensive article on the use of railways during the harbour construction works, including a list of the locomotives used & a photo of operations at Sandwich, in Issue 63 of the 'Industrial Railway Record' which was published in 1975.
It is sure to add fuel to the discussion about the Zig-Zag connection.

I will ask the Editor if he is happy for the article to be posted on KHF.

keniff

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2011, 07:54:54 »
Keniff    -

Interesting photo.   Which 'new cliff road' please ?

Thanks.

On the back of the picture it says "New Cliff Rd Dover, Steam Navvy cutting away cliffs". I have done a little research and it would appear that this shot was taken during the East Cliff reclamation work prior to or during the construction of the Eastern Arm and the early phase of the construction of the Eastern Docks.

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 21:23:27 »
Keniff    -

Interesting photo.   Which 'new cliff road' please ?

Thanks.

keniff

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2011, 19:44:22 »
Another piccie on the reclamation work during the construction of the new cliff road.

mosky

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2011, 14:10:16 »
Islesy - Thanks

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines