News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dover Harbour (Admiralty Harbour)  (Read 61508 times)

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
Re: Dover Harbour (Admiralty Harbour)
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2011, 12:44:17 »
The reason, mosky, was to allow circulation of water within the enclosed area between Prince of Wales and Admiralty Piers (from Wilson on Admiralty Harbour).
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

mosky

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2011, 12:27:58 »
Excuse my ignorance but can some one please explain why the seaward end of the Prince of Wales was originally blocked in and linked to the land by trestle and deck.  Presumably the Prince of Wales Pier, sea end, blocking was nothing to do with the building of the Admiralty Harbour.  I can understand why the blocked-in end would make the Pier more secure but just wondering the reasons behind it (costs, protection of Dock entrance etc)?

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2011, 21:31:31 »
Plate 1 from Paper 4274 "Admiralty Harbour, Dover" by MAURICE FITZGERALD WILSON, M. Inst. C.E.
Dated November 18, 1919 and presented to the Institute of Civil Engineers.

Sorry about the size, but if you want to read it you'll be grateful...

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2011, 19:13:03 »
When the hoverport was being built there was a large fence built, East of the pier and leading out to sea to keep everyone away from the building site. My mates and I would just paddle around it on our newly aquired tractor inner-tubes which we collected from Watling tires, on the way to the beach.

The Hoverport pad was also the other side of the border for Customs and Immigration purposes, there was also the issue of the huge amounts of spray from the hovercraft as they landed on the pad not to mention the noise.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 18:05:52 »
A wall or fence would surely have been enough to have kept Joe Public out of the Hoverport. And I wouldn't have thought the width of the pier would have made all that much difference...

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2011, 17:53:26 »
If the legs of the pier weren't filled in, you would be able to walk from the beach onto the landing pad of the hoverport. At this time the beach was raised using sand from the Goodwin's.
 There was once a footpath, the Charles II walk which went under the pier to the south jetty, this dissapeared at the same time of the hoverport construction and now the steps of the path just lead down to the shingle of the beach.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

mosky

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 17:49:31 »
From the aerial views on attached website, looks like the blocking-in was required to form the eastern boundary of the Hoverport.

http://www.hhvferry.com/hoverports_dover.html

mosky

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 17:22:00 »
Thanks.  Was the trestle and deck replaced as a protection for the Hoverport?

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 17:12:38 »
Yes it is. It still is. The trestle and deck section went when the Hoverport was built.  :)

mosky

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 16:54:08 »
I presume that is a train going up the Prince of Wales Pier?  Interesting to see that Pier is raised at the shore end and then dips at the Pier end.  Is not this Pier now all Blocked in?

Glen

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 00:29:49 »

A 1909 view over Dover Harbour which I found in a book (of the same vintage) I picked up from a charity shop for only £ 2.49  :)

Glen

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 18:31:24 »
Thanks all for the input - this is how the forum should work, grown up debate where we've all contributed, and all learnt something. Following on from an initial comment I've rewritten the fourth para as it's timeline is somewhat muddled, and I can now publish the article in confidence. Only having the one source for any statement always worries me, once cross referenced I always feel happier.

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 17:39:17 »
Robert Butler, in 'Sandwich Haven and Richborough Port' quotes M F Wilson M.Inst. C.E. 'Admiralty Dover Harbour' published 1919 - "A block making yard was also provided at Sandwich, near to the ballast field. In this yard the blocks for the Turret Widening Wall, the East Reclaimation Wall, the Root Wall of the Eastern Arm and the apron blocks for all of the works, were prepared. The blocks as completed were stacked at Sandwich to mature and were brought round (to Dover) by (sailing) barge as required for use in the works."

Seems pretty clear!

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 17:22:36 »
I've 'lifted' that pic, Isley, and blown it up, and I'm sorry but I can't see blocks on those wagons. But conceding that blocks were required before the Eastern Blockyard was built, is it not more likely that they would have been cast at the Western Blockyard? Transport from there would have been much easier and, one would imagine, much cheaper...

But don't let's get stuck into a hammer and tongs argument like another on the Forum over PAC: if you have a source that says blocks came from Sandwich then fair enough, particularly since that source is much closer in time to the events than we are. But I donít think they ever went close to Pearsonís railway or the funicular.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 17:12:24 »
Two block making yards were set up at Dover, with one block making yard at Sandwich.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines