News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Dover and Folkestone - WWII, Shelling and Bombing  (Read 24872 times)

DoverDan

Re: Dover and Folkestone - WWII, Shelling and Bombing
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 12:30:48 »
This photo shows where a shell pierced the chimney of Tolputts timber yard on Tram road near the harbour on the 23rd December 1943 causing extensive damage to the yard but amazingly leaving the chimney standing.

Andy C

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 07:59:03 »
Excellent picture you've found. I have a 1945 copy of Frontline Folkestone (by Folkestone, Hythe, and District Herald) with map and it's not easy to identify where exactly this is from that. The only recorded attack for September in this area was on the 13th of September where bombs landed in the Park Farm area. You are correct in that the trees running up the left side of the picture is Cherry Garden Avenue which at the time only ran as far as Cherry Garden Lane after which it ran into Hill Road which was not open to traffic (the tree lined road running left to right underneath Castle Hill).

The picture seems too close to the road to be where the cricket pitch is now as this is further along Cheriton Road (behind what is now Morrisions). If we could identify the small row of trees just above the farmers head then it may help locate it better. Failing that the only bomb hits shown on the map that it could be are within what was the Folkestone Golf Links (now Park Farm industrial estate, Lynwood and Broadmead housing estates.

The cricket ground is showing as having received 1 HE bomb hit and 1 HE shell hit.

I don't have the land owners for that area for that period but I should be able to find the information out to see which farm the land was on (Broadmead and Park Farm would be the nearest).

Here are the Air Raid figures for Folkestone from the previously mentioned book.

Raid Warnings  2914   Local Alarm Signals 1235   Shell Warnings 102
No. of Air Raids  102   No. of HE Bombs   519    Parachute mines  4
Killed&
nbsp; 88   Seriously injured  152   Slightly injured  308

Flying bombs - destroyed on or over Folkestone   26
                    destroyed seawards of folkestone  602
                    Killed 3   Seriously injured  24  Slightly injured  128

Shelling - no. of occasions  36
             Shells on land  218
             Killed 32  Seriously injured  64   Slightly injured 102

Properties badly damaged  - 14,141!

Casualty totals - Killed 123  Seriously injured 240  Slightly injured  538

DoverDan

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 22:21:24 »
Farmer J.A. Heritage inspecting a bomb crater on his land in September 1940

I've tried to work out the exact location and i think its where Folkestone cricket clubs main pitch is now. The long row of trees that runs from the left of the photo to top right is Cherry garden ave.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 16:43:38 »
Pilot Unteriffizier Webber and Gunner Franz Kraus were both killed when their 'Stuka' dive bomber was hit by anti-aircraft fire whilst attacking Hawkinge airfield and came down in Folkerstone.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

DoverDan

Dover and Folkestone - WWII, Shelling and Bombing
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 16:08:39 »

Beach st after a parachute mine exploded at 4.am on the 18th november 1940.
The single mine claimed the lives of 14 people as well injuring 60 others, also 56 shops and homes were either badly damaged or destroyed

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines