News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Herald of Free Enterprise  (Read 28800 times)

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 356
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Re: Herald of Free Enterprise
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 16:43:41 »
I remember that tragedy very well, my family and I had travelled on her often, the last time was only a few days before the sinking.  She was my favourite of the TT fleet.

87 was an odd year, that in the spring and the Great Storm in the autumn.

And letting that memorial fall into such a state is disgusting.  Looks like some garden guerillas (see http://www.guerrillagardening.org/) are needed around Sittingbourne.
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 269
Re: Herald of Free Enterprise
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 14:08:16 »
I'm sure I remember seeing the 'Herald' in Chatham. I'm pretty sure she was towed to Chatham and put in one of the dry docks off No1 basin. Thames Ship Repair was active there at the time, before English Estates evicted them to make way for a marina and yuppie housing. Think Thames Ship Repair got a contract to repair the ship enough for her to be towed to the breakers in the far east somewhere. I know she wasn't there long.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Herald of Free Enterprise
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 20:05:44 »
Thanks for posting the Photo Colin it just shows the neglect by SBC in looking after this memorial Garden.Please refer back in this thread to my previous post and check out the link
  I have been trying for years to get the Council to do a bit more to respect her memory, than a cursory litter pick every now and again . They cant even be bothered to stick a few summer flowers in the raised bed its main decoration is weeds and beercans chip wrappers and other rubbish.
 When the family and friends maintained it it was beautiful .  SBC couldnt allow that so they sequestered it and have let it get rundown worse and worse ever since. They would rather waste money on decorating lamposts with flower pots than a fivers worth of petunias or french marigolds.
 Please check out the link and if you feel as I do about the neglect of an ordinary persons memorial as opposed to the glorious flower beds in Central avenue to the VC holders drop the council a line .
    My last replyfrom SBC was insufficient funds and they would look into the cleansing programme for the area.
             Sorry to ranton the posting but it gets right up my nose.
                                                         Rog

Offline WildWeasel

• Appreciation 2
  • How do Road Gritters get to work ?
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 23:04:29 »
Thats a nice Tribute......
I knew several people who perished on the Herald...It was horrible....
A friend of mine was due to work on it that night but swapped shifts...The person he swapped with was injured but survived....He lost a lot of friends that night....
20 years ago now but still in memory !!
Lets hope we can learn from disasters like this.....

WW
If it's too hard I can't do it !

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 22:52:43 »
I took a photo of this plaque in Sittingbourne.

magnetron

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 19:17:18 »

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 13:37:15 »
This is the sparkling reply I have just received from Swale Boro Council.
         " Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately, Members have taken the decision this year to cut 30,000 from the grounds maintenance budget which will mean that there will not be any lampost planters in place and changes in some other areas.  There will still be some planted cubes in the High Street and summer bedding in designated areas.  The beds at the East Street memorial garden are perenial so are not replaced on an annual basis and purely maintained with existing planting.  
I will instruct our contractors to take a look at the area and ensure its tidy and maintained as per the contract.

Sorry this is not exactly the news that you wanted to hear.

Kind regards

Kerrie Houghting
Contracts Performance Officer

UnQuote"

I must add that most of the Perrenial plants in the garden are normally called Weeds by us uninformed laypeople. In other words ,theres only  him complaining so,SBC is not going to do anything different and continue with the  neglect policy  for another year.

DOH....

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 17:43:56 »
The memorial window at St Mary's Dover -

And St Margarets at Cliffe

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 18:40:28 »
I well remember the tragedy .I had just finished work on building a stand for the Ideal Home Exhebition and returned to the hotel .Turned the telly on and there it was all happening on the news,such an unprecedented tragedy and it carried on for days as the rescue and recovery took place. Anyway I am rambling on.
The reason I have posted is to draw your attention to a what was once a beautifully kept little memorial garden in Sittingbourne to little 4 year old Emily who was lost that day.
If you click on this  link

http://www.swale-is-a-mess.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Select EAST STREET on the roads optionand scroll down through the page you will see why I have been harrassing SBC to get their finger out and face up to their responsibility,having snatched the garden away from the family years ago and gradualy ruining it by lack of care and attention ever since. They did clear the weeds etc and tidy it up a bit when I first reported it Aug last year but of course they have slacked off again since.
    I should also mention if you have any problems with your area regarding SBC or KCC then do make use of Pauls excellent site ,it does get results some instantly and others take a bit longer,definitely gees them up more than conventional reporting subsequently filed in the bin.

Roger.

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 00:18:37 »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines