News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Slicketts Hill, Chatham  (Read 11874 times)

Offline Greyuncle

• Appreciation 7
  • Do the right thing
Re: Slicketts Hill, Chatham
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 02:13:00 »
Lutonlad, when I lived on Luton Road, I drove a minicab for your Grandad and Wally Stevens.

Lutonman as a young lad I stayed with relations in Mills terrace and my cousin Gerald introduced me to sliding down the lines on a tin tray.

Happy Days

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 03:35:41 »
Strange small world, Greyuncle. I was a telegram boy in 1941, a difficult time to be one.
lutonlad, We used to make our own ` barrows ` then use it, from the top of Castle Road, in 1935.
MoK

Offline lutonlad

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 16:02:53 »
I remember the Pub Too, Albert Delahay was my Grandad, He lived in Eldon St, near to Slicketts Hill.

We use to go down the Hill on homemade Barrows.
If it cant be mended with a hammer, it must be an electrical fault, bash it anyway.

Offline Greyuncle

• Appreciation 7
  • Do the right thing
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 13:56:56 »
Nice Shot of the Three Brothers. It ceased Trading after 100 years on the 22nd June 1969.  It was there when I was a telegram boy in Chatham 1960 -1963. Pleased to say I had a drink in there with Roy Murrant  Albert Delahay.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 20:24:43 »
There is always some confusion over whether the correct name of this road is Sly Kate's or Slicketts. The former certainly sounds more evocative, and tends to conjure up images of some colourful or notorious local character going by the name of Sly Kate.

Although some maps from the 19th century have it marked as Sly Kate's, it's actually shown on Hasted's map - which was published in 1798 - as "Slickets".

It's possible that Sly Kate's is just a modified form of "Slykates", which may have actually been pronounced "Slicketts".

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 22:05:50 »
Here we go  :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 21:58:32 »
The buildings are Chatham Town, I will add a larger plan but it may not be too clear but does show the line of defences.  Basically Sly Kates Hill is half way up the bank on the Great ines and it is down hill to the buildings in Chatham Town.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 21:30:57 »
Did you draw the map yourself Kyn? :)

Can you scan a wider area to include some other landmarks, 'cos I can't get my bearings! Any clues as to what the marked buildings are?
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 20:45:44 »
 :)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 17:34:51 »
Quite right about 'Full-A-Love Alley', it was widened to become Batchelor Street - not sure when though.
According to Couchman Collection in Medway Archives it was between 1900 and 1902. It is shown on the 1907 map of Chatham.
I wonder if it's new name kept a connection with its past - a street frequented by batchelors!
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 122
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 12:25:55 »
Yes, one rumour is that it was named after a local prostitute known as, 'Sly Kate'. There also used to be a 'Full-A-Love Alley' nearby.

Quite right about 'Full-A-Love Alley', it was widened to become Batchelor Street - not sure when though.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

merc

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 11:02:11 »
Yes, one rumour is that it was named after a local prostitute known as, 'Sly Kate'. There also used to be a 'Full-A-Love Alley' nearby.

Galgo23

Slicketts Hill, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 08:52:55 »
The other day I was driving with a friend from Russia showing them the sights of Medway and as we went past Slicketts Hill I mentioned that it was named after a prostitute called Sly Kate. I don't know where I got this information from, does anyone know the story or even if it's true?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines