News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The 1987 'Hurricane'  (Read 33805 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Re: The 1987 'Hurricane'
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 08:15:01 »
Reading these stories reminds me of how frightening it was at the time and how dangerous the flying debris was.Back then i used to do a lot of cycling and walking and not long after the storm i went from Dover to Sandwich, much of the way via the Old Roman Road.On the track past Willow Woods some large trees were blown over.While clambering past these i noticed that eyes were watching me from the tangled foliage.Then suddenly with much crashing and cackling several large pheasants rapidly departed from the area.

Though an employee of British Rail in those days i can't recall how long it took to get the service running again.My depot at Dover Priory station was less affected than the Dover Western Docks station.Down there they had piles of shingle coming through the glass roof to contend with.The electric current must have been turned of pretty quickly once the insulator pots started exploding due to the salt water.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 21:19:28 »
After all this time , it's still sad to see all those lovely trees lying there in that pic of the Vines. On that particular early morning, we had our two sons in our bedroom ( 18 and 10) cowering under the duvet ( lot of protection that would have been lol) our cherry tree was blowing almost horizontal and we really thought it would topple, but it's still standing and has given us some lovely nap cherries since then, and we only lost some ridge tiles. Our eldest son who lived in Luton at the time, was called into work Transco at Grain, as the gas tanks were threatening to flood and he had a wild old time trying to negotiate his way past flying debris all the way out there, even at 3am it took him ages to arrive fortunately unscathed but leaving his pregnant wife home alone and scared stiff. Can't remember now how long the electricity was off, but I did get to work in the morning, only down the road, a small supermarket but the till had a manual handle so we did manage to carry on selling necessities, funny how people are chatty at times like that, good old British spirit.  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

oldsunset

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 03:38:09 »
my husband was a sheerness fireman during the hurricane, he was out on call for 3 days solid, when they were first called out it was to the player club on the minster leas as the roof was coming off, later on minster high street they had to crawl along the road on their hands & knees as the wind was lifting the firemen off the ground !..our house was badly damaged, windows came smashing in, we lost a 6ft wall 20 feet long, the children were screaming so we all  got under the kitchen table by the aga with blankets...it was like the blitz

Solarp

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 16:38:56 »
Being only 2 years old at this point, I still have a vague memory of this moment. I was staying over my Nan's in Yalding, I remember watching some men cut down a tree outside my Nan's house. It was one of those trees where all the branches swooped off to one side, so happened to swoop over the house and needed urgent removal! The stump still remains today  :)

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 14:06:22 »
Nature's wonderful isn't it?  It always tries to repair itself whenever something goes wrong.  I think that a lot of the orchards etc. were left as they were as it was too much of a job to remove all of the fallen trees.  It's very interesting driving in the country these days and seeing the fallen trees that have regenerated themselves, albeit in an odd position.  :)
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 10:14:43 »

Tilmanstone bluebell wood - one of the large beech trees uprooted in the hurricane - many of the trees I see are still growing, albeit from an almost horizontal trunk!

--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 18:56:42 »
That was the night I never want to repeat!  I had never been so scared in all of my life.

We live in a bungalow, and the wind was howling through the roof and the bedroom window, which goes almost the width of the room, was creaking as if it was going to blow in.  My husband wasn't too worried, until we heard slates blowing off the roof and landing on the car-port.  He went out and moved the car into the road, and found some of our neighbours doing the same.  We also had a conservatory, which had quite a few panes of glass blown in, but the wind wasn't quite so bad at the back.  My husband went back to bed, but I couldn't ......I still thought the window was going to blow in, so I went to the only room where the wind didn't seem so loud and sat there for ages......yes the loo!  As it turned out, we werent' too badly off, at least our roof didn't disappear, just a few slates.  We live on top of a hill so were lucky.

We were going to London the next day to visit relatives, and go to Kew Gardens, but we postponed it for a day.  We couldn't believe the sights we saw on the way up...so many trees across roads and houses with tarpaulins on the roof.  In the event, we couldn't get into Kew as greenhouses were smashed and trees down.

When we went on a trip to Folkestone several months later it was so sad to see miles and miles of trees half in and half out of the ground.  Let's hope we don't get another one as bad.
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

seafordpete

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 17:33:11 »
The thing I find amazing is how little we know of what happened then due to the lack of electricity  (in our case 8 days) so no Tv news. No idea that Dover was so knocked about  or until a couple of years ago that one of the ferries went aground.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 17:25:23 »
Hi all, heres some pictures that I took at the Western docks the day after. Note the railway line wrapped round the lampost, this was all new track laid in preparation for the new train ferry berth under construction on the Admiralty pier.The pics of the Sumnia I took a little later, delboy

sturoberts1975

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 13:57:44 »
This has had my memories flooding back, at the time I used to do a paper delivery round for the paper shop in Brompton high street, I remember going out on my BMX and dodging fallen branches all round Maxwell Rd and Sally Port Gardens etc, I slept through the main fun the night before

Monkton Malc

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 16:11:55 »
I slept through it all. I thought it seemed quite light when I did eventually wake up. This was because the trees outside the front of the house had gone.

I was, however, one of those well prepared chaps with a landrover and a chainsaw in it and sold logs for a living long before the hurricane.
At that time I lived in Way Hill, Minster and it took me several hours to cut my way out and get to my yard in Monkton and get a trailer and more gear.

Our power was off for 8 days there. The army turned up with some axes and set about restoring the phone line to a doctors house just down the road.

We had been doing some tree work in the days before the hurricane over at Cliffsend and had to get the council tree man out regarding one particular tree. We were going to take it down but he insisted that it was ok with nothing wrong with it (it was rotten really). We asked if we could have that in writing which he did for us there and then. The following morning it was laying in someone's garage.

There was a walnut tree that had survived the hurricane at my yard but died off the following year. It was on the deeds of the house as it was planted when the house was built in 1590. I did have some photos but at the moment I can't find them.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 09:58:59 »

We got up at 3am to sound of shattering glass, the big greenhouse!  Very badly damaged.  Trees blocked all roads out of village, our elec was off I think for 3 days at least (had a cable through front door from generator they brought)  Neighbour had a camper van put outside in road with boiling kettles etc.  Very useful.

Ellenkate

--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Scrumdown

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 08:20:47 »
Lived in Walderslade at the time.  I knew nothing about it until I woke up and had a shower ready for my commute to London.  My Mum said "where do you think you're going" and I replied "to work of course" and when she suggested I looked outside, I did so and saw dustbin lids, fence panels and assorted debris flying down the road.  So instead of going to work, we spent 3 hours trying to get to Sittingbourne where my Nan lived.  Her conservatory and greenhouse had been levelled.  It took 3 hours as we had to stop to allow the well-prepared chap in the Land Rover in front of us to chainsaw the trees out of the way that had fallen in the roads.  All very exciting.

Offline stewyrey

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 22:31:18 »
I remember it very well, I was in my mates that
night, the windows were ratteling and noise was
unbeliveable.
I went out into the back garden to secure the
corrigated iron sheets that came of the shed roof
to the ground with bricks, just as I stood up a
a sheet came off the roof and flew over me brushing
my scalp.
I suddenly ran back inside (with an urgent need to
visit the toilet...lol) never to come back out again
till the morning.

stewyrey.

Matt_Vinyl

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 21:34:58 »
I was 7 at the time and it was one very scary experience. I recall waking at about 3 in the morning and walking into my parents' room (I was always far more frightened of wind than thunder!) and my Mum saying "It's just a bit of wind, go back to bed!" Then, about 2 and a half hours later, I woke to find my brother had deserted me (we shared a room) and I was the only one still upstairs...!

They were all downstairs gathered around a radio (I still remember hearing Rick Astley's 'Never Gonna Give You Up' and it always reminds me of that morning if I hear it since!) and a candle. I recall my Dad telling us to stay away from the windows. We lived opposite Woodlands Park (Gravesend) and the view was something else!

I also recall my Mum saying she thought it was a nuclear war at first, with all the 'soundless' lightening and stuff flying around.

Hopefully something we won't have to experience again!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines