News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The 1987 'Hurricane'  (Read 33886 times)

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
Re: The 1987 'Hurricane'
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 21:57:39 »
I was working one of the late trains from Victoria to Dover Priory which stopped at all stations from Faversham to Dover.At each station stop when i stood on the platforms to check the doors etc i realised that trees were whipping about more than i'd ever seen.Walking home afterwards was very dodgy due to flying tiles and such like.Next day the trains stayed in the sidings and us in the mess room.
My Old Girl's birthday is on the 16th October so she had some birthday surprises that morning.

Is my birthday too and I woke up to find my parents garage roof on top of my car where the sides had blown out!

Swamp Kiwi

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 20:49:22 »

We were about to leave the island for NZ and were staying in a caravan at the halfway for a couple of weeks. I woke up to the howling storm in the wee small hours and had this wierd thought that if our caravan was going to be wrecked I'd better be up and dressed. My 7 year old boy got up as well but my wife and daughter stayed asleep until the wind blew us off the concrete pad and tipped the caravan up about 20 degrees. We all bailed out, jumped into our car and set off down the row of other caravans only most of them weren't there any more! Just bits of them.

We drove through Sheerness, dodging flying debris, to get to my parents' house. I remember having to time it right to get past a long wooden fence that was flailing about across St Georges Avenue near Second Avenue. We dropped the kids off and went back for our belongings but when we got back the caravan had rolled right over and come to rest against an older, heavier one. These were the only two in our row not to be blown away.

We collected most of our clothes and other belongings but had to go back later to pull various bits of clothing out of trees over towards the canal side of the site. In all we only lost a pair of trousers and a five pound note. We'd been renting a tv from Brittain & Hobbs and they had kindly allowed us to keep it for the couple of weeks that we were in the caravan after moving out of our house. I had to go in and tell them that they could find it laying upside down in 6 inches of water in the upturned caravan with all the broken windows. They were very good about it actually.

Offline strangelights

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 16:42:35 »
woke up in the early hours as it seemed a bit noisy outside.looked out of the window to see my next door neighbour chasing the bonnet of his robin reliant,which had ripped off and was flying down the road.i went to work that morning at a printers in dover to find that part of the roof from the neighbouring factory had gone through ours.you can imagine what a mess it was inside.thousands of sheets of paper blown all around the factory from a large job which had only just been printed the day before.luckily i didnt have to stay for the clean up.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 21:37:02 »
I was working one of the late trains from Victoria to Dover Priory which stopped at all stations from Faversham to Dover.At each station stop when i stood on the platforms to check the doors etc i realised that trees were whipping about more than i'd ever seen.Walking home afterwards was very dodgy due to flying tiles and such like.Next day the trains stayed in the sidings and us in the mess room.
My Old Girl's birthday is on the 16th October so she had some birthday surprises that morning.

Trev

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 16:09:07 »
If I remember rightly, I was on night shift, over the bottle works.
I can't recall how I got home. However I remember seeing several tiles missing off the roof.
Then being woken halfway through the morning, by a nice man replacing the loose and missing tiles on the roof.
We found the greenhouse, upside down, down the end of the garden. Good job the windows were plastic.
We got off lightly compared to many others.

Dave Weller

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 09:10:05 »
The weather for the next 3 months was very cold and wet, I was out surveying areas to restore telephone service in the weald of Kent.
It put some jam on the table.

Offline rossco

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 21:07:06 »
I was at junior school... One of the things I remember was it was a girl called Emma Gale's birthday!

merc

The 1987 'Hurricane'
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 13:41:50 »
I remember going over Brompton woods and loads of the trees were blown over. There's still a couple of trees from then lying on the ground now...

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines