News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Biddenden  (Read 3309 times)

ellenkate

Biddenden
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 19:04:03 »
Giant Potato at Biddenden:

"There is a potato now at Biddenden which was dug up in the Poor House
Garden and which measures 3-feet 4-inches in circumference and weighs 6-lbs
4-ozs.    (Kentish Gazette 9 Nov 1810 back page col.4 )

arlene

Biddenden
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 20:18:52 »
We have a big Church called All Saints.
There is two Chior's one for the young members and one for the older ones, they are aged from nine to eighty nine. We have Bell Ringers who practice at 7.45pm. On Tuesdays. Don't worry about the noise at night they use small hand bells.  I have been finding out about the happenings of the Church, so I copied them, this was last year..
Biddenden Challenge and Spectacular Day, 27th September 2008.
"Did you do it?" and "What was it like?" were the two most commonly asked questions in Biddenden during the week that followed this splendid day. "It", of course, was the Biddenden Challenge, the fundraising abseil down the All Saints Church tower. A 100-foot drop was not enough to put off the 86 participants who together raised about 6,600, to be split between the church and the Walking Bus Charity.
Meanwhile the Biddenden Spectacular was in full swing in the rest of the village. There were vintage cars, a hog roast, steam-driven machines and an apple press, an aerobatic display, dog and horse shows, children's races and other attractions too numerous to list. This  is just a tiny sample: the band Samba Pelo Mar, the tractor rally and a drop-in of five parachutes.
Biddenden All Saints Church Bells.

arlene

Biddenden
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 17:37:09 »
Hi again.

The place name of Biddenden is derived from old english, meaning Bidda's woodland pasture associated with a man called Bida originally Biddingden.

I was thinking what else that I could tell you about Biddenden.

The Village pavements are really rough made of any old shape of stone that was brought from Bethersden, they call it Bethersden Marble. It was laid by the Tudor Clothier Traders  for their pack horses to gain a footing from the mud, some still exist crossing the fields. The Village is not on a four crossroads as most are, just three roads in a T, the shops and church are in the single road.

The sheep that were born locally and raised to produce wool the sheep are shorn and once the wool had been carded (to get rid of the tangles) and spun (both these processes could be done in the workpeople's own homes), it then required weaving Since that process required looms and the space to do it, 'clothier's halls' were required. These were, as is shown by the timber-framed clothier's hall at Biddenden, often the length of the attics in the master clothier's house. After weaving it was fulled (using the Fuller's earth), and then dried. Once dry, the cloth was brushed with teasels  to get rid of loose threads; and finally the shearman  cut off loose and projecting pieces of wool.

There is only a vary small car park in the village , but there are not that many here that need cars, I have a bicycle. As when I get work I can ride there but most work is seasonal, if I get trouble with my bike I ask Jim to do it for me , we went to school the same time and he does all the odd jobs in the village, he never charges me anything I might cook an extra pie and give it to him he gobbles it up with his dirty hands, he don't talk much.
He lives with his old dad, I live with my mum. He stands at the door of the church  listening to the church Chior  when they practice, I go sometimes but they say I sing like a sheep.
I gona have a walk up the Village to see places  I think what I can write about next.

arlene

Biddenden
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 17:09:32 »
Biddenden is best known for its village signpost it shows a picture of the twins Eliza and Mary Chulkhurst, who were joined at the hip and born in 1100, they lived in the village but we don't know how they were dressed in a single dress or two, sadly when Mary died in 1134 they asked Eliza if she wanted to be separated from her sister Mary, but she said  we came together so we will go together. She died six hours later.
They had lived with their parents in a house and an area of twenty acres, this they left to the church Wardens of Biddenden rent from this is spent to provide a dole  ( gift ) of bread and cheese, now added is beer and tea to the
 poor of the village on Easter Monday.

Part of the Easter tradition includes providing cakes imprinted with an image of the twins. The cakes are made of flour and water, are about 4 inches (10 cm) long and 2 inches (5.1 cm) wide. The dough is pressed into a wooden mould and baked. They are not meant to be eaten, but to be used as Souvenirs The cakes have also been made of plaster.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines