News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St Luke's, Gillingham  (Read 8857 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
Re: St Luke's, Gillingham
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 11:49:55 »
I'm glad to read that. I grew up in that neighbourhood and live there now.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline stlukereader

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 22:44:46 »
Oh surprise, the usual rumour has surfaced again!  I suspect it's wishful thinking on the part of neighbours who would like more car parking space.  In the Church of England, the process leading ultimately to demolition is a very long and public affair, and suitable alternative uses would first have to be sought e.g. sale to a Pentecostal sect, conversion to student flats etc. etc.  Meanwhile, the building would be empty, and subject to vandalism, squatting, arson etc. etc.

The future is as uncertain as that of any church in this post-Christian era, but there are no such plans at the moment, as far as I know (and I am a member of the congregation). On the contrary, the church family is growing (albeit not exactly exponentially!), and every effort is being made to ensure that the church is serving a useful purpose within its community.  That said, it is true that more advantageous use could be made of the existing buildings and surroundings.

stlukereader (formerly known as plain stluke!)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 21:46:19 »
I heard a nasty rumour this evening which involved closure, sale, demolition and the building of flats on the site. Is there anyone on the Forum with connections who can confirm or deny this?
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

stluke

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 22:20:15 »
Thank you for your kind comments, Bilgerat.

Yes, the vicarage is currently rented to a private tenant - by the Diocese, I might add, and not by the parish!  (Not a penny piece of the rent do we receive, by the way.........).  We try to keep the church grounds looking neat, but I'm afraid that the vicarage garden does indeed require a bit of TLC.  It depends on the tenancy agreement as to whether it is the responsibility of the tenant or the agents, I suppose.

The concrete base for the Calvary (the large crucifix at the Sidney Road end) is still there, though the crucifix itself has long since disappeared.  Perhaps I should suggest to the PCC that we put up a new one - or a simple wooden cross, at the very least.....

Stluke.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 18:52:24 »
I stand corrected. I was told many years ago that it was. Still a beautiful building though.

I hear that the vicarage is now rented out. I used to play in that house with Bruce Lamb's kids when he was the vicar there. The vicarage and gardens were really well looked after then but last time I was down that way they looked threadbare. There was a statue of a crucufix scene on the Sidney Road end of the church. What happened to that? There used to be a huge Silver Birch tree on the corner of Sidney Road and Virginia Road which blew down in the 87 hurricane and was never replaced.

stluke

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 11:23:10 »
Sorry, Bilgerat, but St. Luke's was not designed by Lutyens!  The architects were the Cutts brothers, who did indeed also design St. Barnabas, Gillingham (and St. Barnabas, Tunbridge Wells, too).

Canon William Lutyens - Vicar of St. Luke's 1912-1930 - was Sir Edwin's brother, and it is believed that the latter was responsible for the design of the brick and stone sanctuary floor, although no written proof has been found of this.

Stluke.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 21:49:28 »
I grew up living opposite that church and got married in it. Always thought it is a beautiful building. Designed by no less a person than Sir Edwin Lutyens (who also designed St Barnabas Church).

Thought by many to be the greatest ever british architect, you can read more about him here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Lutyens

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 16:42:05 »
The problem with electronic organs, `toasters`, is that they have a short life span of around twenty years, after which the technology has moved on and repairs can be a problem. The mechanical pipe organ can `live` for hundreds of years as long as the dreaded woodworm doesn`t get at it. I recently read somewhere that in the long run the pipe organ is more economical than the electronic imitation.

stluke

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 15:22:53 »
Indeed yes, but the trouble is that they are (or can be) very expensive and troublesome beasties to maintain, and for a small urban backstreet parish the burden may be too high.  I have to say, though, that I do not know for certain if maintenance costs or whatever were the cause of St. Luke's pipe organ being removed - unfortunately, the Churchwardens responsible are now in the Church of Rome, so I can't quiz them!

Competent organists are, alas, hard to come by these days, so if anyone wants a job........or even just to come and tickle the ivories one Sunday morning......!!!

Stluke.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 21:14:52 »
I know some electronic organs can sound nice, to me there's nothing like the real thing.

stluke

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 18:34:25 »
Yes, the pipe organ was removed and disposed of in 1997 (I wasn't at the church then, so I can't offhand confirm its destination - but will see what I can find out).  The space it occupied is now the All Souls Chapel, which contains our parish War Memorials.

We now have an electronic organ (a Johannus) in the south aisle, which I am told by those who know is quite a good one - it certainly sounds fine to me!

Stluke.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 17:12:59 »
What happened to the organ in your church, stluke? I know it was transferred to a Methodist Church in Northampton in 1997. Do you know exactly where? Do you now use an electronic or was the previous organ replaced with another pipe organ?

stluke

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 17:57:19 »
No - I'm the Parish Reader......

Stluke.

merc

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 17:54:33 »
Are you the Vicar or Church Warden, stluke?

stluke

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 15:53:41 »
This church has recently had some of its internal paintwork refreshed, and the east wall is now a pale blue rather than the knicker-pink shown in the photos!

Guess how I know.......

Stluke.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines