News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St Luke's, Gillingham  (Read 8855 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kyn

  • Administrator
  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7407
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: St Luke's, Gillingham
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 11:23:24 »
The 1909 church















merc

  • Guest
St Luke's, Gillingham
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 21:05:28 »
In 1889, due to the extension of Chatham Dockyard  many new houses were being built in New Brompton to house dockyard workers. A small mission Room was opened at 74 Medway Road, New Brompton, but this soon became too small for the ever increasing congregation. On June 7th 1891 a large tent was erected on land where the present St Luke's Church now stands. However, not long afterwards the tent was blown down in a strong gale, and services resumed at the Mission Room. On the 10th February, 1892, a new prefabricated iron church was dedicated and used untill the present St Luke's Church in Sydney Road was opened in 1909.



The Mission Room at 74 Medway Road, 1890.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines