News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Garrison Point Fort  (Read 63669 times)

Offline The Sheppey Kingmaker

• Appreciation 5
Re: Garrison Point Fort
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2013, 20:47:34 »
The only L-Shaped building around there that I can find is the Ordnance Storehouse which was there from about the early 1820's/30's until at least the 1960's but as was said earlier it has enlarged (rectangular) areas at each end.

Hope this is helpful

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2013, 19:41:14 »
I have just checked all my photos and the aerial ones all show that building apart from 1992 where it has all been long demolished.  I will check plans and things soon too see if I can find one showing the buildings you mention more clearly.

It must have been fun living there as a child :)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2013, 19:26:13 »
Thanks Kyn, for a memory evoking photo :)

I’m sure it’s not the same building, but there was an L-shaped building without enlarged ends where the white roofed one is in the photo, and our bungalow was where the larger bit is at the far left end. The window I broke was in the far side of the near leg of the L-shaped building.

The ‘basin’, or ‘camber’ as we called it, between that building and the river was where all the boats that I mentioned in my thread on Sheerness Gun Wharf were kept. The black looking building at the left, alongside the road leading to the fort, was where the scorpions lived.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2013, 19:02:20 »
They were Twin 6 Pounders at the front :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2013, 17:32:29 »
I think the guns were twin 6"?

I will check a bit later for you as I have to disappear for a few hours.

Below are two pictures, one showing the fort and the gun emplacements in front of it and a more recent one of the search light emplacement :)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2013, 17:16:54 »
Yes, of course. It makes sense that the searchlight was in front of the fort – its traverse would have been too restricted had it been in the ‘ports’. As so often, what started as a very vague memory got ‘filled in’ by further snippets. I now remember that it shone down the estuary.

I presume the gun emplacements were on top of the fort. Is there any record of their calibre? I’m guessing about 4 inch.

Another memory is of me playing ball against one of the buildings in the Gun Wharf and breaking a window. Dad recorded it as being broken by vibration from the gunfire!!!

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2013, 14:45:07 »
There is a search light emplacement in front of the fort and there were two gun emplacements, only one of which now remains.

As always thank you for intruding, your memories help understand what it was like to be around these places.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2013, 14:37:45 »
If I can intrude with a personal note, that photo of the fort evokes some memories of when I lived in Sheerness Gun Wharf in 1938 and my dad was Resident Foreman. He had a key to a gate in the fence on the right, giving us access to what we boasted was our 'own beach' all the way round to a fence out of sight to the left, beyond which was public beach. Yet, despite that 'privilege', we rarely used it.

One or more of the 'ports' in the photo held a searchlight and I do remember that would have been an occasion to go there at night when it/they were practising. It was then that I learnt that it was difficult to see what the light was illuminating if you were looking straight down the beam - you had to be to one side, and I presume it was controlled by an observer on top of the fort for that reason.

There was also a coast defence battery at the fort, but I can't remember whether the guns were on top of it or in those ports. All I can remember is that its Sunday afternoon practice (it was manned by the TA) kept my dad from his sacred Sunday afternoon nap!

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2013, 13:16:01 »
Yes that is the best photo that shows the semaphore.  It is interesting that it was in use before the fort was even completed, although the fort would have blocked the view of the earlier signalling station.

Thank you for posting the picture, it is a really good one.

I do hope to eventually track the semaphore stations and write a bit of a history on them if I ever find the time :)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2013, 13:10:09 »
Kyn in your post of October 21st 2008 among the photos of the construction of the fort I noticed a semaphore signalling mast this would have provided a speedy means of communication with the admiralty in London.The mast is to the right of the photo on the roof.

http://www.royal-signals.org.uk/Datasheets/Telegraph%20.php
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2013, 11:17:55 »
Chatham 19th February, 1804

My Lord,

In obedience to your commands we have examined the present state of the fortifications at Sheerness, & submit to your Lordship the following observations thereupon – We suppose the enemy intending to attack Sheerness by sea, would not bring to in the River Thames, but endeavour to pass our sea Batteries & enter the Medway so as to do all the mischief he could t the building stores & by artillery from his vessels; or he might at the time of high water, attempt to land in the Dock Yard, & by that means entirely destroy it.  On those ideas it seems proper to begin the reform of the works at the Half Moon Battery now in an unserviceable state, by filing up the casemated embrasures and forming a parapet, six feet high, having guns to fire over it on traversing platforms and with elevating screws ?????? this reform should be made by housing the rampart on lowering the parapet, or both can best decided when estimates are made of the defence efficiency attending the alterations observing that instead of 23 guns which this battery is built for, we thing 8 or 10 thus mounted will be sufficient.
Behind the Half Moon Battery is the Cavalier having 3 salient angles in each of which we recommend a gun to be placed on a traversing platform or on a raised stone one to fire over the present parapet with as much traverse as possible.
Next on the right is Craigs Battery where the front of the parapet and the sides of the embrasures must be taken down and ?? ???? and at the Saluting Battery which joins it a solid parapet was formed six feet high & traversing platforms placed behind it, we are of opinion eleven guns so situated would be a more efficient defence, than twice that number confined in embrasures, and mounted on common garrison carriages with beds & ???? only as they now are.
Between Minster Bastion and the Bastion No. 1 of the New Lines is a considerable extent, which requires some additional works to render it equally secure, with the other parts, but we have not sufficient knowledge of the nature of the ground, to point out exactly what ought to be done.
The removal of the Hospital is absolutely necessary to complete the ditches between No.1 and No.2 and then the Kings Road will pass thro, the middle of the curtain and the counterscarp may be so reformed, s to open the ditches more perfectly to the fire of the opposite flanks.
The two fronts between No.2 and No.4 are on a progressive state, and we understand are to be finished when the season permits, but in the mean time we recommend that the ramparts should be raised with gravel, at all the sating and flanked angles of the whole Lines so as to receive guns mounted on barbette, with stone platforms as soon as may be.
It will be necessary to erect barracks n the clear of these Lines for lodging the troops who defend them as well as a magazine and storehouses, which cannot be one until the ground is properly drained to do which is appears advisable to excavate a wide ditch, along the boundary line of the ordnance land forming the back of Blue Town & it is supposed that the Commissioners under whose direction the New Wharf belonging to the Town has been built would be at the expense of forming a sluice, as it would supply them with a back water, now much wanted to clear away the mud where they load, and discharge their vessels from the natural selection of the old works as well as the new Lines, the defences of both must very much depend  on having the command of water, at any time of the tides, and ??????.  general system laid down to make the most of their advantage, which will no doubt require sluices of considerable magnitude and they ought to be made, when even the season will permit.
The rear of No. 4 and the New Town Wharf, are situations where artillery may be placed for the protection of the Dock Yard, but do not seem to call for any way immediate attention.  The Number of guns already mounted on the old works appear sufficient, when more properly arranged to supply the New Lines also.
Twelve 24 pr carronades for flanking the ditches ? an six 10 inch iron mortars, are all the additional pieces of ordnance which will probably be required.

We have the honour to be
William Twiss B? General
Colonel Royal Engineers
Robert Lawson B? General
Colonel Royal Artillery

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2013, 20:50:24 »
The majority of the Olau Line walkway has now been removed, the last remaining section is the end over the river, meaning none of this is attached to the fort any longer.

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2012, 11:10:33 »
Garrison Point 1828.

Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2011, 12:21:24 »
A plan given to the forum by Keith Gulvin.  This plan shows the adaption of the eastern most tunnels for the RNXS bunker.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2010, 18:08:11 »

MPI 1/208 - National Archives, Kew.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines