News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Langdon Battery, Dover  (Read 41625 times)

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
Re: Langdon Battery, Dover
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2010, 17:16:04 »
Thanks for posting that Ted Ingham. Very interesting.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2010, 15:41:57 »
Those pictures are brillant, Ted. Thanks so much for posting them. The written information is invaluable too - a nice concise history of the site.
Alastair

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2010, 10:34:24 »
The attached photograph was taken in 1978/9 ish. It still shows some of the original buildings ? behind the Coastguard Station before the landscaping was started..Hopefully I can find the original print for a better scan.
Regards,
Ted

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2010, 10:05:10 »
When His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales officially opened The Maritime and Rescue Coordination Centre on the 23rd Novemeber 1978.A display was presented to the guests on the History of Langdon Battery.
Whilst clearing out one of the Offices I came across several cards with the written history on them.Hopefully I may come across the photographs that went with them.
I have managed to scan them and fit them on to A4 sheets.
I believe the presentation was originated from our member JohnG.So its thanks to him.
Regards,
Ted

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2010, 20:49:54 »
With reference to JohnG's photographs of the Guard House.During my break period I had a scratch around in the undergrowth near where I thought the foundations would be.To my surprise I managed to locate the small building which was attached to the Guard House.Some time next Spring I will bring a scythe and spade to work and start clearing the surrounding brambles around it.There is only a small amount of earth on the roof which should come off quite easily.Would be nice to see this bit of history dominating the drive as you make your way up to the battery.
Regards,Ted

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2010, 21:27:37 »
 :)  Thank you adding these JohnG, I have never seen a two tier pillbox before!

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 28
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2010, 20:49:45 »
For the people who visited Langdon Battery yesterday.  There were two double deck pillboxes at Langdon, one at the eastern end and the other on the approach road opposite the guard room.

These were demolished by KCC in 1978
JohnG

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2010, 13:01:01 »
Fantastic aerial photos, Unfairytale. I've seen it on a sketch map once before and dismissed it but do I detect a spur running off the military railway curving round to Langdon Battery? It wuld make sense if there was one. Alastair

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 18:08:34 »
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)

AnDy

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 00:39:51 »
Possibly an O.P??

DoverDan

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 22:28:23 »
Just to the left of the marker next to the tractor tracks. It seems to match perfectly with the recon photo although as i say its much smaller now :).
I wonder why they found that so interesting and not the activity going to the south on Wanstsone farm.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 21:16:49 »
I don't know if it's just me, Doverdan but I can't see anything on Google Earth where that shape is. It's in the field where Shelly's Farm now stands. Before th HAA emplacement was built. You can see the old field boundries from that old photo on Google Earth though.

DoverDan

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 19:50:40 »
This German recon photo is from a large scale photo sortie carried out on 10th May 1940 covering most of the south coast of England.

I guess this photo could fit in many of the topics here but i thought here would be best as Langdon is the only battery visable so far. Also the trench system mentioned earlier in the topic can be seen clearly cut into the chalk confirming their date as WW2.
Also of interest is the small structure in a field above the accomodation area for Fan hole battery that has been ringed as a point of interest. Does anyone know what this was? there is is something there now on Google earth but it looks much smaller now.

david

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 09:50:09 »
Also found this gun emplacement (?) on the Dover side of the battery.
The 1913 armament list shows  2 x6 inch  3 x 9.2inch and two machine guns on parapet carriages. This could be one of the pits for a  p.c. mounting.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 20:24:03 »
That 'emplacement' has quite a large trench running straight towards it from the battery direction. It show up on Isleys plan and also on my aerial pic . I wonder it it's an O.P.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines