News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Prospect Inn - Monkton  (Read 11586 times)

Offline Zorro

• Appreciation 0
Re: Prospect Inn - Monkton
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 11:45:14 »
I can`t recall The Kent Arms at Brenley Corner, Mickleburgh.

Did you mean The Duke of Kent (now Dunster House) which seemed to have a lot of coach trade?

Some pix and history are at http://www.dover-kent.com/2014-project-c/Duke-of-Kent-Hernhill.html

Offline Zorro

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 06:35:20 »
Someone mentioned that it was built to capture Ramsgate bound coach traffic but in fact the incumbent licensee in the early 1960s was anti-coach, which was a pity as it would have been a very useful place for the local coach trade.
Thanet bound coaches had a fairly narrow choice of stopping places. The `Kent Arms` (now gone) at Brenley Corner, Faversham, was much favoured . Beyond that on the Thanet Way it was the `Long Reach` or `Roman Galley`. Via Canterbury it had to be the `Westbere Butts`.

Apologies for coming late to this, having seen the Marty Feldman sketch this week via another BB and looking to find out more about the pub, and coming across this forum. I hope this doesn't duplicate too much that is already known.

I was intrigued to find that the pub building was still there but now 'enhanced' and re-opening this Wednesday Jan 24th as a Holiday Inn Express. I will be in the area with a mate from Dartford on Friday and we will go and see how it's looking like now, and take some photos.

1  It was a re-build to a design by Oliver Hill (architect of the Midland Hotel Morecombe for the London Midland and Scottish Railway) and completed in 1938/39 at a cost of just under 8,000 (the original budget was 3,000) - around 2M in todays money so quite expensive for a small pub.

(I've not as yet found anything (or any photos) of the previous pub though there as a reference to the local Poor Law Guardians meeting at it in the 19th century).

2  The brewery (Tomson & Wotton’s brewery in Elms Avenue just off Queen Street in Ramsgate predated Truman’s by 32 years and was Britain’s oldest (founded in 1634) before being taken over by Whitbread in 1968 and closed.) didn't want a large mock-Tudor or neo-Georgian pub.

In contrast, on what was one of the busiest routes in the SE, they wanted an architect who was modern but not too modernist. Hill in his letter accepting the commission to design this roadhouse said he'd be delighted as long as it might 'be modern as distinct from imitative period.'

The 1933-38 era saw a range of roadhouses and clubs built, from the pub/hotel the Comet at Hatfield on the Great North Road to large American-style country clubs like the Thatched Barn on the Barnet by-pass (a Tudor-style two-storey hotel built in 1932). These largely targeted affluent middle class motorists whereas the Prospect Inn set out to attract charabanc customers.

This new pub was deliberately prominent and visible to drivers on the main road, the Thanet Way,  with a whitened reinforced concrete pylon on the roof floodlit at night and surmounted by a red star. The pub's name was to be spelled out in 18-inch high intense red neon lights.

Hill apparently wanted the pub to be named HMS Prospect, to reflect a 1930s theme, the softening of modernist edges with American streamline influences that apparently became known as 'moderne' and often connected with maritime influences - International Modern Cunard style apparently.

Source: '1938: Modern Britain: Social Change and Visions of the Future' by Michael John Law 2017

3  According to Vanessa Vanden Berghe in her MPhil thesis 'Oliver Hill and the Enigma of British Modernism during the Inter-War Period', "his appreciation of a woman’s silhouette can also go some way in explaining his original use of curves in many of his designs such as: the Prospect Inn at Minster in Thanet, Kent (1936-39)"

4  Here's a few more pix links that have been thrown up by various searches.

https://flic.kr/p/zxJMZ
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/490376
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/373024781615034735/
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-1930s-modernist-prospect-inn-public-house-at-minster-designed-72788072.html
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-19 ... 92076.html
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/36f5496d301b4 ... e9ak7a.jpg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/7206849.stm

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 19:44:00 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 73
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 16:50:17 »
I can`t recall The Kent Arms at Brenley Corner, Mickleburgh.

Did you mean The Duke of Kent (now Dunster House) which seemed to have a lot of coach trade?

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 11:02:49 »
During the 1950s the `Prospect` was very much the haunt of American servicemen from Manston and many a potential GI-bride from the surrounding towns went on the prowl there.
Someone mentioned that it was built to capture Ramsgate bound coach traffic but in fact the incumbent licensee in the early 1960s was anti-coach, which was a pity as it would have been a very useful place for the local coach trade.
Thanet bound coaches had a fairly narrow choice of stopping places. The `Kent Arms` (now gone) at Brenley Corner, Faversham, was much favoured . Beyond that on the Thanet Way it was the `Long Reach` or `Roman Galley`. Via Canterbury it had to be the `Westbere Butts`.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 17:01:56 »
MINSTER A253
TR 36 NW
2/59 Prospect Inn
- II
Public House. 1939 by Oliver Hill in International Modern Cunard style, (his only
public house commission) with sun lounge added in 1960's. Roughly circular
arrangement of 3 (originally 4) bars and 2 storey brown brick rectangular
residential block (also including a Games Room) to rear with pointed glazed stair-
case light and flagstaff in front originally surmounted by star.Bars are partly of
brick partly cement enclosed with metal casements. Interior has Games Room with
original linoleum floor with motifs of tennis racquet and cricket bat and tiled
fireplace. Public Bar has original panelling, bar, porthole light to ceiling,
barquette seating and built in Darts Board. The Saloon Bar, (an amalgamation of
the original small public and small saloon bar has wooden panelling original
chrome and black light fittings and barquette seating. Restaurant (formerly
Saloon Bar) has light oak panelling with 2 chrome and white plastic original light
fittings, curved bar, tiled fireplace, barquette seating and original windows
behind 1960s sun lounge. Another original linoleum floor is reported to survive
here beneath the fitted carpet. Original doors throughout and same porthole
windows.

KeithJG

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 16:11:15 »
All these Pubs like this haunt me around the Thanet Way as in the 1950`s when I was about 8yrs (1956) my Mums` sister lived in Herne Bay, so in the evening we all went out to pubs on the Saturday. I, being 8 was not allowed in a pub bar until 14yrs so I had to sit in the car on my own with a packet of crisps and lemonade all evening, even in the Winter.

I made it a challenge to have a pint in all these pubs. I waited outside when I returned to Kent in about 2004 but I think this one was gone by then.

Other drinking haunts for me were the Kings Head Inn at Sellinge, Share and Coulter, The Roman Galley, Chez Laurie was also gone as a pub.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 16:37:42 »
Seem to remember back in the 1980s, it had country and western music nights (which was the landlords thing), sad to say his customers had other ideas and left. The reason it was not knocked down was that it was a listed building.

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 20:31:17 »
The  Prospect inn was built in the 1930s and replaced an older pub, its construction was to take advantage off the coach trade comeing down to Ramsgate, its design had no connection with any ship.

Tashos

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 09:00:39 »

Just one thing, and I hate to split hairs, but is it in Monkton or Minster?

Oops...can you tell I'm a Thanet Import?! Lol!!

I too have searched high and low for old pics of the inside, but no luck :(

Thanks for your responses though guys...can't wait to see your pics Malc.

Cheers

Tashos :)

Monkton Malc

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 22:46:45 »
It's at the top of Minster.
As you go down Tothill Street the very next place to the Prospect is the cemetery.
I will pop in there and get some pictures next week as there are quite a few war graves in there from the building of Richborough Port.

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 22:43:25 »
I took a bit of an interest in this iconic building when I noticed it becoming derelict. It was built around 1935 I believe in a very good art deco style and is a great example of its type. I always remember its distinctive shape and glass roof dome when I was little on the way back from the Thanet coast. There were some great pictures someone who got inside had posted on a website, they were really eerie as all the old tables and glasses and bottles had just been left and were gathering dust. There was a bar price list and an old pool table just rotting away. I just tried to find the site again but it appears to have been taken down :(

I must admit I was very relieved to see it being sympathetically converted to a hotel. When I first saw the workman moving onto the site I feared the worst.

Just one thing, and I hate to split hairs, but is it in Monkton or Minster?
nostalgia's not what it used to be

KentishmanIan

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 20:46:57 »
Ok thank you I often got these two places mixed up. I think that the Prospect would have made a lovely art deco (hope thats how you say it) house but the traffic going past now would have made it a bit too hectic.

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 20:37:48 »

KentishmanIan

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 20:31:52 »
Wasnt this place a nightclub for a while? I moved from Thanet to Staffordshire before the place closed down and I'm sure I remember my sister saying it had been converted.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines