News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Long Hill, Dover. WWII Underground Radio Station  (Read 25735 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Re: Long Hill, Dover. WWII Underground Radio Station
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2016, 21:54:16 »
Many thanks Conan! I don't have GE on this tablet so I don't get to use it now. So there's old aerial photos on it now then. With my close connections to the area (I can see the hill from my front bedroom too) I can see how the scrub and Buckland Estate have changed more than anything.The allotments are still going strong. I wish I'd  talked more about the site with my former employers who owned Long Hill and farmed there throughout WW2. Sadly they are all deceased now.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2016, 14:41:04 »
I don't know if this is any help

Dated 1940

and 1960
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2016, 01:20:20 »
I understand this one may be open again?

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2010, 22:54:05 »
Many thanks again seafordpete.I'll have a go at that to see if they've anything on the area.

seafordpete

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2010, 17:59:52 »
There was a national air photo recce done in 1947/8 but most places seem to have 2 or 3 sets taken during the war. Email  the GR to NMA and they will send a list back of what is available (flight direction, date, vertical or oblique). As they are expensive ask for photocopies of the ones you want, they charge 20 or 30p each (if they bother). Usually these are adequate to scan in and then you can zoom in on them  :)  rather than break the bank buying photos

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2010, 17:44:53 »
Thanks Seafordpete, I'll have to look into that. On KHF and elsewhere I've seen aerial photos of the Fort Pitt, Chatham area which were either taken in WW2 or not long after which show where digging had gone on: chalk marks and that sort of thing. Spike Milligan in his entertaining book "Adolf Hitler; My Part In His Downfall" gives some amusing accounts of when he was in the Royal Artillery at the start of WW2. On page 72, he writes about laying D5 telephone cable from large drums going from an OP to a gun position. He writes "To cross roads we had to climb telegraph poles. Basically lazy, it took some half an hour of arguing and threats to get one of us to go up. It was always little Flash Gordon, he didn't want to climb the poles, but we hit him until he did". They also had the use of a military ten line telephone exchange installed in a concrete air-raid shelter at the back of Worthingholm which was a building in Bexhill. Another section describes the difficulty his mates had in tracing the point where a cable was broken.

I would like to think the sites we're discussing were better connected than Spike's were!
Your latest photos just came through Unfairytale. Very interesting, has the hillside been cleared recently? I can't quite see it from my front bedroom window. The sub is definitely a rather low structure and that's the pipe I remembered. The view to the Castle Keep is indeed very good which raises possibilities. What are those two heaps and were they once covered with scrub with a crater(?) nearby?

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2010, 17:22:22 »
Here's a few more picture.

The Blocked secondary entrance.

What's left of the Sub.

And this pipe next to the Sub.

When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

seafordpete

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2010, 14:38:44 »
.Do you know of any sites showing 1940's aerial photos of Long Hill?How did the place receive/transmit it's electronic messages etc is the question.

You should be able to get a selection from English Heritage NMA at Swindon

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2010, 14:23:40 »
You're right there unfairytale.The place is an enigma! The methods of construction and materials used are the same as those at Langdon Hole and Fan Hole which I've visited and what I've seen of Dumpy (under the Castle) on the internet and in my books. Was that bridge, over the railway that the Old Roman Road uses, made ready for demolition in case of an invasion? I know a Stop Line went close by it. That would sever any landline connection to Long Hill that way. Not that it would matter much if the Germans were coming up the road. Perhaps telephone poles carried the wires via some obscure route. Do you know of any sites showing 1940s aerial photos of Long Hill? How did the place receive/transmit it's electronic messages etc., is the question.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2010, 13:04:49 »
I read the 1937 date on the net but in Roy Humphreys' article on the tunnels in 'After The Battle', he states the connection with DUMPY A & B. And Langdon Hole and Long Hill tunnels are identical in design.
This tunnel seems more secret than the 'Secret' one at the Castle.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 23:04:23 »
Thanks unfairytale.What little i've found on the internet indicates the Long Hill tunnels were built in 1937 for the RAF.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 17:02:27 »
Long Hill comms tunnel was not linked to Frith Farm AA site; it was linked directly to DUMPY at Dover Castle as was Langdon Hole comms tunnel. All three were planned and built at the same time. All the AA sites (later in the war) were linked to DUMPY and communications were sent both ways and shared with other sites as by then they had their own radar.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 11:44:15 »
So there probably are still landlines(buried cables) going into the Long Hill tunnels then seafordpete or in the vicinity.As i knew that area very well i would think anything less than buried landlines would be too flimsy.I'm trying to remember what i saw on Frith Farm when i was a farm hand there.In the tunnel under the ditch between Dover Castle and East Demi Bastion a trench had been dug to carry heavy duty cables so the E.H. manager told us.All the cable had been removed except for bits going through walls and so on.
Thanks Islesy i'm just going to have a look at that link you posted.I did look at OS GetAMap which
indicated it was in the area.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 10:23:22 »
All i've found so far is in "Defending The Gateway" by David Burridge.On page 45 under "AA Miscellaneous" he's put "3148 4306 E of Long Hill: underground AA communications centre(?)"
It's all a bit vague but might tie the place in with Frith Farm AA battery nearby.

Towerwill, that map reference would relate to the now buried entrance to the Long Hill underground complex:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ma
p.srf?X=631485&Y=143065&A=Y&Z=115
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

seafordpete

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 09:46:50 »
Forward got radar updates by landline or teleprinter and had similar links to the local Coast Arty HQ at Denton Manor presumably the same to AA HQs/ plots

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines