News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Long Hill, Dover. WWII Underground Radio Station  (Read 26675 times)

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
Long Hill, Dover. WWII Underground Radio Station
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 21:04:08 »
The first time I ever saw the concrete 'shed' was about thirty-two years ago, there was (is) a concrete wall behind it and nothing behind that. There was a space between that and the bank which slowly slipped down to rest up against the wall, so I can see why it looked like a cave-in.
  The bottom entrance must have been used as the main one due to its proximity to the road. I lived for some time at the last house in Napier Road which is about fifty yards from the bottom on Longhill, so my friends and I spent quite some time in the tunnel. My Mum and her brothers played in there in the 50s and it was already a mess by then. A mess I expect they helped create!
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

DoverDan

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 20:36:26 »
Thanks for the info unfairytail, I can put that mystery to rest now, lol. I always just presumed it was an entrance as I recall the earth was cratered behind the structure which made me think a cave-in had happened. Also do you know if the old accessible entrance was used as the main entrance when it was in use? - this was one of my theories for the corner stucture.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 18:16:04 »
The concrete structure at the left of the playing field was nothing to do with the Long Hill tunnel: It was just a small room with a door at each end, it's also at least 12 feet lower than the level of the tunnel.
 The layout of the tunnel is identical to the one at Langdon Hole, except the main entrance is horizontal and not sloped. The concrete room is still there, behind the newish fence.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)

DoverDan

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 11:54:21 »
Hi all! Need to bring this thread back to life as there is one mystery about these tunnels that I`ve never been able to solve. When I used to explore these tunnels, I remember there was a third entrance at ground level in the far left corner of the playing field. It was always collapsed as I remember, all plans I`ve seen give no mention of this entrance or its purpose. I hope someone here can shed some light on this as it has puzzled me for years.
Dan

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 09:24:36 »
The secondary entrance was always inaccessible. When I was a kid we'd climb up the shaft as far as we could and then slide down on our backs. We'd come out as white as ghosts. It's almost identical to the one at Langdon but more blocked at the top. As for the main entrance, it looks like it's just been buried rather that destroyed.

Ryda

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 00:00:28 »
I went and had another look around here today, the entrance is getting covered over by the plants now, its getting a bit harder to see.

So it was the secondary entrance in then? I had a crawl in (in my uniform  :-\) and noticed the roofing seems to veer off to the left slightly descending?

nicechub

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 23:55:08 »
Someone was telling me the other day that there was a small entrance to something underground near a field behind 'The Danes', the other day, just wondering if this could be the same thing.  I'll have to get some more details, I did suggest it may have been something to do with the AA battery up that way.

I had another look up Long Hill a couple of weeks back, and the lower entrance is covered with even more chalk than last time I looked  :'(

Hi Col
The small hole we found was in one of the mounds of the HAA Frith farm, I assume it is an underground magazine, seems to be about 15ft deep, but the hole is small and not really accessible, but we did not have time to investigate properly, will need to go back another time.

Colin

Offline col

• Appreciation 3
    • Subterranean History
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 16:09:10 »
Someone was telling me the other day that there was a small entrance to something underground near a field behind 'The Danes', the other day, just wondering if this could be the same thing.  I'll have to get some more details, I did suggest it may have been something to do with the AA battery up that way.

I had another look up Long Hill a couple of weeks back, and the lower entrance is covered with even more chalk than last time I looked  :'(

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 17:02:53 »
It's known to most Dovorians as 'The Sub'.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 21:27:44 »
Here's a photo I took on the top of Long Hill in 1995:

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines