News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Godmersham - Airship field  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
Re: Godmersham - Airship field
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 12:09:08 »

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 11:05:48 »
Here's a really interesting picture I found online from 'Britain From Above' This is Capel - clearly post-war, you can see 'Silver Queen' written on the top of the black shed
Will put this on the Capel thread as well
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Offline Paolo

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 21:35:56 »
From this extract it looks as though Silver Queen was a generic name, Trikeman

FOLKESTONE HERALD. SATURDAY, AUGUST 30th 1930.

FLIGHT  SGT. GREENSTEEET. first joined what was known as the Royal Naval Flying Corps, which in 1914 was turned into the Royal Naval Air Service and finally into the R.A.F. He has been flying (always in airships) since 1914- 15, and did much flying during the war aboard the Silver Queen airships which accompanied troops across the Channel.

Strangely enough there was a Silver Queen Garage at Capel-le-Ferne, possibly on the site of the RNAS station.  The station was subsequently used by the local motor firm of Martin Walter but, sadly, the concrete "dock" was later filled in.

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 18:55:48 »
Having just read the extracts from Coastal Patrol [thanks Nemo] - clearly the bible on this matter - Airships weren't based at Godmersham until the Spring of 1918 and the airship hole was abandoned after the war. So both dates on the postcard are wrong - can't find any reference to the Silver Queen either so that could well have been a nickname.
There were a few pictures I hadn't seen before as well
Trikeman

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 18:25:13 »
Thanks for shrinking!
The WW1 date is correct for the Silver Queen to be based at Godmersham - there are several written references from local people at the time. Not sure about the 1925 - it's not my card, just a copy - perhaps someone was just using the postcard at a later date, or was the Silver Queen still there?
Maybe someone has some more information, or pictures
Trikeman

Offline Paolo

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 13:58:25 »
Better?  Do I read the date as 1925?

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 13:43:56 »
Any chance you could shrink the picture down a bit Trikeman, it's virtually impossible to see what it's about.Thanks!
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 11:06:16 »
GODMERSHAM PARK - AIRSHIP HOLE

I was reading some local info on Godmersham and found reference to the 'Silver Queen' Airship which was supposedly based at Godmersham Park - the crew were reported as staying in Godmersham House as they helped at a local fire.
I have got some pics of other airships in the mooring spot [it's still there] plus a postcard of 'The Silver Queen' dated 23.4.1915. Anyone got more info?

Philio81

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 18:29:52 »
On my last trip to see Norman he showed me a photograph of an Airship landed in the hole!!! hes told me where i can get a copy of the booklet its in so the second i can get it will post the pic  ;D

Philio81

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 17:18:06 »
Hello Davetown can help you with the information on this hide.

davetown

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 21:34:32 »
Very interesting this one. From what I understand all the original aux unit training was done or around the Garth which isnt all that far from the hole.

I think this one was supposed to be large enough to act as a fall back for other units in the event of invasion. I think it would have certainly been allot bigger than most aux unit hides. The hole seemed pretty big when I visited.

Shame the history of this area of WW2 isnt more widly known.

Dave

Philio81

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 13:36:25 »
Reading the book"Churchills Underground Army" and name given to the Airship hole is in fact the "forme" And as john said used by Airships in WW1 that did Recon work for the Dover Patrol. It was though up by Peter Fleming brother of the famous Ian Fleming who was one of the main people responsible for organising and running the first Aux Units in Kent.

Philio81

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 18:14:10 »
There is a large chain lying around the edge of the hole i didnt see any sign of concrete blocks when i was there

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
Godmersham - Airship field
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 01:21:02 »
More pictures from Trikeman's aerial archives!
It's incredible what still exists if you look carefully. From the air the cigar shaped depression in the clearing is still very obvious, it was used as an outlanding for airships during WW1 - there were a few such places. The concrete securing blocks were supposed to still be around but I couldn't see them on a ground visit.
Of course, the story doesn't end there as the pit became a large hide for the secret army recruits during WW2. I think this is covered elsewhere on the forum. There are a few bits of tin on site and the remains of a tunnel, not much else. It's still known as Airship field, which I think is a rather nice touch. Anyone got any pictures/info of outlanding sites?
Trikeman

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines