Author Topic: Wreck of the SS Falcon, Dover  (Read 7225 times)

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 10
Re: Wreck of the SS Falcon, Dover
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 10:46:10 »
Reference "nicking metal", see attachments.
The Report from Dover Express 10.12.1926 shows dubious activities by two defendants, and "people going to the wreck wholesale".
The yard foreman Alfred Brigham was my Grandfather.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 10:05:27 »
I've been looking at Bing Maps again and here's a shot from BM showing Langdon Stairs and what looks like the remains of yet another shaft, just to the right of the Stairs. This one would have gone down to the beach close to where the wreck is. I can see the more recent cliff fall that probably obscures that cave I mentioned.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 22:28:49 »
Yes that is a puzzle S4. It's large I know that much. Having been down and up that path many times when young and silly, I know what an effort it was just getting myself from bottom to top. We've walked the whole foreshore from St.Margaret's bay to Folkestone, with the exception of the bits not reachable at Dover. Trying to remember where I've seen metal debris is not too easy now. Another ship I saw beached near Dover's Prince of Wales Pier was a cargo ship. That ship's cargo may have caught alight. I'll have to see if there's a thread on that one.

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 20:34:37 »
See this pic of barges going alongside the shipbreakers yard (Stanlee/A O Hill Ltd). Think there is one pic superimposed over another. But the barges and quayside are clear enough
All my pics come from an album of my grandfatherís. He died in July 1928, so the pics can be dated (along with other family pics) to 1927ish. Apart from the family pics, all are related to the shipbreaking business.
I cannot be 100% certain these barges are carrying scrap from the Falcon, but have no other explanation that makes sense.
The pic of the crank by unfairytale at post 3, I donít think is related to the Falconís salvage.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 142
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 19:26:00 »
I have a question. It concerns the crank-shaft lying abandoned on the Cliff. If, as Towerwill says, the breakers moved the remains via a barge and a ramp up the Eastern Arm what the heck is this from? Without a scale to judge I really can't work out how big this crank is. It looks substantial enough to be off of a Marine Engine but I would need more details. I just don't see any reason for the breakers to drag a huge lump of good steel halfway up the cliff face when the barge and Harbour are so close.

S4. 
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 18:10:33 »
I think I can just make out that your last photo shows the ramp leading up to the Eastern Arm, alkhamhills. That could explain how they got some of the wreckage into the harbour. There may have been bits of wreckage scattered along the foreshore here as a result of this exercise.
I have a memory of lumps of metal scattered along the foreshore. I can't be sure it was here or the other side of Dover.
One of the problems they had was people going along at low tide and "nicking" metal. I do not think that the shipbreakers would have left any bits lying around--too valuable!!  Will post a pioc of barges later

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 10:49:18 »
I just had a look at Bing Maps satellite views to refresh my memory of Langdon Bay and I saw what looks like a shaft cut down the cliff face. This might have been similar to the one along at Fan Hole/Fan Bay. This one stands out due to grass growing in it. I can recall now seeing it when I was a boy walking along the clifftop. The top of the shaft would be on the middle terrace. I wonder what the shaft was used for?

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 09:41:12 »
I think I can just make out that your last photo shows the ramp leading up to the Eastern Arm, alkhamhills. That could explain how they got some of the wreckage into the harbour. There may have been bits of wreckage scattered along the foreshore here as a result of this exercise.
I have a memory of lumps of metal scattered along the foreshore. I can't be sure it was here or the other side of Dover.

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 09:08:01 »
Another pic (very fuzzy/faint), which shows the platform above the wreck, and can just see the harbour in the background

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 08:25:32 »
Many thanks alkhamhills! Yes, that does look like that cave entrance which is now possibly covered by a cliff fall. I expect a flat bottom barge could get in close to the beach at high tide, depending on how many large chalk boulders are in that area. The sailors would know more about winds, rocks and tides here than me. It was fun to scramble along the chalk at low tide to the Eastern Arm. That was as far as we could go due to the security fences.
I remember the very sad occasion when the lifeboat used a small inflatable craft to get to the bottom of the cliff where the incident had happened as we stood watching from the clifftop.

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 20:24:14 »
Believe this a derrick that has been rigged up in order to lift the cut up pieces. Believe barges were brought up on High tide,, loaded and then taken into the harbour and to the scrapyard. Think I have a pic of the barges-trying to find it

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 20:12:38 »
towerWill
Had another go at 2nd pic--it's a bit improved. There's actually two men aboard!

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 13:40:54 »
Interesting photos alkhamhills. In your 2nd photo I can see what appears to be the cave entrance that we were never able to reach as it was some way above the beach.

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 09:18:03 »
my G/father's pics maybe a little fuzzy
1st is from a local boat on approach to wreck site
2nd beached with one of the Stanlee employees on board

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 22:38:34 »
Very nice photos Layzee! The remains of the ship seems to be lasting better than the metal shutters up in the searchlight positions. My first visits to the bay would have been in the late 1950s. Back then the shutters were complete but couldn't be moved anymore. They might still have had paint on them as the colour green comes to mind but I'm not sure now. The beach was a nice place to be on a summer's day. That walk back up was an effort even for a youngster.