Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SS Richard Montgomery  (Read 115017 times)

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 2
Re: SS Richard Montgomery
« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2016, 12:10:05 »
I saw a programme last night on Channel 4 called Hidden Britain by Drone, and it was hosted by Tony Robinson.
In it they travelled around the country visiting various points of historical interest, and used the Drones to film great arial shots of the landmarks.

And last night they explored this wreck. They explained the history of the American ship, how it got marooned off the coast of Sheerness (they showed radar images of it having broken in half), and it's possible future (there's still a strong debate going on as what's to be done with I t- many have voiced concerns about the inherent danger of hundreds of tons of ammunition that could go off and cause vast damage, whilst others have said any attempts to intervene could prove disastrous).

If I'm honest I've never actually SEEN the wreck itself (even from a safe distance) but I've heard (and read) a lot about it.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #221 on: December 24, 2015, 17:21:45 »
Thanks a bunch Bilgerat! It's Christmas Eve, the presents are purchased, I still have all my internal organs, and no.1 granddaughter visits tomorrow. And then in the same post you put 'Government with unlimited resources' and 'do something'.

I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year
Give me a light that I may safely tread
And he replied, Neem, that light of which you spoke
Is the sign of a government, felt obliged to have a poke!

:)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 208
« Reply #220 on: December 24, 2015, 12:48:27 »
Maybe I'm being a little naive here, though I do try to take Government assurances about things with a bucketful of salt. I would like to think that if the Monty is that dangerous and that given the potential consequences of getting it wrong, that the Government with all the practically unlimited resources available to them would have done something about it by now.
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today" - Vice-Admiral Beatty at Jutland

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 161
« Reply #219 on: December 24, 2015, 09:10:24 »
A few years ago Terry Smith wrote a rubbish (my opinion) book about a bunch of Middle Eastern terrorists doing this very thing with the Monty. I still have the book on my Kindle, it really is bad but it did highlight a problem. I pretty well upset Ronangel and the buffoon (MBE) by giving away the ending of the tome, I think they might have been consulted by Mr T Smith during the research. The truth is that the book actually gives a stage by stage way of detonating the Monty, if you can get the correct gear together. SPOILER ALERT! The plot fails by some good luck and a little effort from the hero. At the end it does highlight that the LNG tankers could do far more damage than the Monty ever could, they are the equivalent of the Hiroshima bomb floating around in a narrow channel.

However let me ask this of you: The IRA were far more inventive than ISIL, during their campaign Chatham was a 'legitimate military target' so why the hell did they not blow her up? I really think that we do not have much to worry about, it must really be a slow news season or the buffoon (MBE) is running out of beer tokens, this is scare mongering at its lowest form and I for one am sick to the back teeth of the hype...

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 185
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #218 on: December 23, 2015, 22:39:19 »
Who can doubt that ISIL would blow it up if they could? Whether or not they actually could I’m not qualified to say.

But if the paper is quoting a transport minister and the security services correctly,.they consider it enough of a threat to do something about it.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 94
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #216 on: December 22, 2015, 21:32:55 »
I suppose anything is possible but I have difficulty in picturing a group of terrorists brain-storming things to blow up on a wet and windy Tuesday night using whatever the £1.03 in the kitty will buy and coming up with "the Messines Ridge, only underwater this time - the Montgomery". I think it gives terrorists a bad name and whatever adjectives you apply to them, 'stupid' isn't one.  I'd be more worried if a post-it sticker was found affixed to the masts saying "we've cracked it and tomorrow is boom-time!"

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 28
« Reply #215 on: December 21, 2015, 22:43:58 »
I wondered how long it would take before he surfaced . . . . .

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 43
« Reply #214 on: December 21, 2015, 21:48:38 »
Another chance for Ronangel to spread alarm with his links.Scroll down the comments he's right there.Mike Barker must be too busy with his job as Father Christmas to comment.  :)

I did notice somewhere recently that it was a terrorist target. I didn't bother read the details as I immediately gathered the source of the story.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 94
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #213 on: December 21, 2015, 20:31:24 »
Another chance for Ronangel to spread alarm with his links.Scroll down the comments he's right there.Mike Barker must be too busy with his job as Father Christmas to comment.  :)

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 28
« Reply #212 on: December 21, 2015, 08:15:05 »
Interesting report with an excellent sonar scan of the wreck   -

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/sittingbourne/news/bomb-ship-is-cracking-up-48058/

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 415
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #211 on: June 09, 2015, 19:24:43 »
Unfortunately the following page is too blurry to read clearly enough to transcribe.

At 10.15 a.m. the “Panther” left the s.s. “Richard Montgomery” proceeded to Stangate Creek and towed the barge “Instow” to the “Yantlet” lying at anchor off the s.s. “Richard Montgomery”.

At 5.50 p.m. stevedores and craft left the s.s. “Richard Montgomery” (Fresh easterly wind and rough sea).  The “Panther” towed the “Capella””, loaded, to Stangate Creek and the “Gondis” towed the “Teak” to Sheerness arriving at 6.20 p.m.

Cargo discharged:-

From No. 4 hold to “Teak” 140 – 1000-lb. Bombs.
From No. 5 hold to “Capella” 433 – 500-lb. Bombs.

The “Panther” towed the “Teak” to Stangate Creek (loaded).

On Tuesday the 19th September at 7.0 a.m. the s.v. “Yantlet” towed the “Y.C.83” to the s.s. “Richard Montgomery” to pump the fore end of the vessel if the hatch coamings came clear.

At 8.15 a.m. two games left Sheerness on the “Gondis” after who had towed the “Capella”, loaded, loaded, to Stangate Creek, and the “Panther” towed barge “Pelton” from stagnate Creek to port side of the s.s. “Richard Montgomery” and towed the “Instow” to starboard side.

On arrival discharge was resumed from Nos. 4 and 5 holds, steam being supplied by the “Gondis”.  The “Panther” towed the “Y.C.83” from the s.v. “Yantlet” to the s.s. “Richard Montgomery”, and loose water and oil were pumped from cargo in No.4 hold over high water.

At 4.30 p.m. work ceased.  The s.v. “Yantlet” towed the “Y.C.83” and the “Gondis” towed the “Instow” and the “Panther” towed the “Pelton” to Sheerness arriving at 5.0 p.m.

At high water the s.s. “Richard Montgomery’s” stern stands sharply out of the water.  Her propeller and skeg are showing and work in holds is difficult.

From No. 4 hold to “Instow” 138 – 1000-lb. Bombs.
From No. 5 hold to “Pelton” 307 – 500-lb. Bombs.

The forward hatch coaming showed 4-ins. above water at low water today, and the pumping operation was postponed until the higher spring tides beginning on the 1st October.

On Wednesday the 20th September at 8.15 a.m. two gangs left Sheerness on the “Gondis” which towed the “Instow” to the s.s. “Richard Montgomery”, the “Panther” towing the “Pelton” and s.v. “Yantlet” towing “Y.C.83”.

On arrival discharge was resumed from Nos. 4 and 5 holds and oll and water were pumped from No. 4 hold.

At 10.0 a.m. the “Panther” left the s.s. “Richard Montgomery” and proceeded to coal hulk “C.109” in Medway and bunkered, returning to the vessel at 1.0 p.m. when the s.v. “Yantlet” left for Gravesend.

At 6.30 p.m. stevedores left on the “Gondis” which towed the “Instow” to Sheerness.  The “Panther” towed the “Pelton” to Sheerness and later towed the “Instow” (loaded” to Stangate Creek.

At 7.10 p.m. the stevedores landed at Sheerness.

From No. 4 hold to “Instow” 16 – 1000-lb. Bombs.
From No. 5 hold to “Pelton” 399 – 500-lb. Bombs.

On Thursday 21st September owing to dense fog two gangs were delayed and left Sheerness at 10. A.m. on the “Gondis” which towed the “Pelton” and the “Y.C.83” to the s.s. “Richard Montgomery”, and the “Panther” towed the “Didcot”.  On arrival discharge was resumed in Nos. 4 and 5 holds, steam being supplied by the “Gondis”.

Oil and water were pumped from No. 4 hold during high water.  At 6.30 p.m. stevedores and craft left the ship, the “Gondis” towing the “Pelton” and the “Y.C.83” and “Panther” towing the “Didcot” to Sheerness, arriving at 7.15 p.m.

From No. 4 hold to “Didcot” 119 – 1000-lb. Bombs
From No. 5 hold to “Pelton” 2 – 500-lb. Bombs, and 3327 fin assembly parts, completing discharge of No. 5 hold except for about 200 fin assembly parts stowed in the fore end of the ‘tween decks.

The “Panther” towed the “Pelton” to Stangate Creek (loaded) and the “Panther” was dispersed with.

On Friday the 22nd September owing to fog one gang was delayed from leaving Sheerness until 9.0 a.m., the “Gondis” towed “Y.C.83” and the “Didcot” to the s.s. “Richard Montgomery”.

On arrival discharge was resumed from No. 4 hold, steam being supplied by the “Gondis”.

Oil and water were pumped from No. 4 hold.

At 6.15 p.m. discharging ceased for the day and at 6.30 p.m. the “Gondis” towed the “Didcot” and “Y.C.83” to Sheerness, arriving at 7.10 p.m.

From No. 4 hold to “Didcot” 120 – 1000-lb. Bombs.

On Saturday 23rd September at 8.10 a.m. the “Gondis” left Sheerness with one gang towing the “Didcot” and “Y.C.83” to the s.s. “Richard Montgomery”.

On arrival discharge was resumed from No. 4 hold and oil and water pumped out.

At 11.25 a.m. stevedores left the vessel on the “Gondis” which towed the “Didcot” and the Y.C.83” to Sheerness.

From No. 4 hold to “Didcot” 67 – 1000-lb. Bombs.

The “Gondis” towed the “Didcot” to Stangate Creek (loaded).

On Sunday 24th September during strong wind and sea, one gang left Sheerness on the “Gondis” which towed the “Queenbury”, and the “Y.C.83” to the s.s. “Richard Montgoemry”.  Discharging was resumed from No. 4 hold, on arrival and 175 – 1000-lb. bombs placed in the “Queenbury”.  Oil and water were pumped from No. 4 hold.

At 3.50 p.m. discharging ceased.  The “Gondis” towed the “Queenbury” and the “Y.C.83” to Sheerness arriving at 4.30 p.m.

On Monday the 25th September at *.15 a.m. one gang left Sheerness on the “Gondis” which towed the “Queenbury” and the “Y.C.83” to the s.s. “Richard Montgomery”.

Discharge from No. 4 hold was resumed on arrival and water and oil pumped out as discharge progressed.  At 5.50 p.m. discharge of No. 4 hold was completed and stevedores left the ship returning to Sheerness on “Gondis” which towed the “Queenbury” and the “Y.C.83” to Sheerness, arriving at 6.20 p.m.  The “Gondis” towed the barge “Queenbury” to Standage Creek and was dispensed with.

The total amount of cargo discharged to date is 3,175 tons, today’s discharge from No.4 hold being 124 – 1000-lb. Bombs.

J. W. Edwards
Assistant Mooring & Wreck Raising Officer.
12th October 1944.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 415
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #210 on: June 09, 2015, 07:57:14 »
On Wednesday 13th September at 10.0 a.m. the “Gondis” left Sheerness with two gangs and towing “March”; the tug “Panther” towed the barges “Barry” and “Cowes” and s.v. “Yantlet” towed “Y.C.83” to the s.s. “Richard Montgomery”.

On arrival derricks were altered to suit the work (vessel’s stern being high out of the water) and discharging was resumed from Nos. 4 and 5 holds, the “Gondis” supplying steam; the “Yantlet” at anchor preparing four steam pumps for pumping the fore end of the vessel.

At 7.45 p.m. stevedores landed at Sheerness.

From No. 4 hold to “March” 6 cases Fragmentation Bombs. 887 – 100-lb. Demolition Bombs.
From No. 5 hold to “Barry” 320 – 500-lb, Bombs.

On Thursday the 14th September at 10.30 a.m., two gangs left Sheerness on the “Gondis” which towed “Barry” and s.v. “Yantlet” towed “Y.C.83” and “Panther” towed “Cowes” to the s.s. “Richard Montgomery”.

At high water work was resumed in Nos. 4 and 5 holds the “Gondis” supplying steam.

The s.v. “Yantlet” prepared and laid a 3-ton anchor with 15 fathoms of cable chain and 120 fathoms of 4 1/2-in. wire off the starboard quarter of the vessel, and prepared another anchor for laying out.

Work ceased at 7.30 p.m. and stevedores left the ship on the “Gondis” which towed the “Cowes” to Sheerness, “Panther” towing “Barry” and s.v. “Yantlet” the “Y.C.83” arriving at 8.15 p.m.

Thick fuel oil was mixed with the water in No. 3 hold today and this was reduced by submersible pumps.

From No. 4 hold to “Cowes” 149 – 1000-lb. Bombs.
From No. 5 hold to “Barry” 304 – 500-lb. Bombs.

On Friday 15th September at 8.0 a.m. two gangs left Sheerness on the “Gondis” which towed “Barry”to the s.s. “Richard Montgomery”, - the “Panther” towed “Cowes” and s.v. “Yantllet” towed the “Y.C.83”.  On arrival discharge was resumed in Nos. 4 and 5 holds, the “Gondis” supplying steam.

The s.v. “Yantlet” laid a 3-ton anchor with 15-fathoms of cable chain and 120-fathoms of 4 ½-in. wire off the vessel’s port quarter and connected steam to and ran for testing purposes 4 – 8” steam pumps.

At 6.15 p.m. work ceased.  Bombs discharged from NO. 4 hold have been lying in fuel oil and are difficult to handle.  The s.v. “Yantlet” towed the “Y.C.83” to Sheerness, the “Gondis” towed the “Barry” and the “Panther” towed the “Cowes” to Stangate Creek loaded.

From No. 4 hold to “Cowes” 166 – 1000-lb. Bombs.
From No. 5 hold to “Barry” 333 – 500-lb. Bombs.

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2015, 22:06:21 »
Just a quick thank you to helcion for the photo of the pilot boat - sent the link to my friends who are sitting watching the pilot 'jump' They were delighted

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 415
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2015, 17:44:09 »
Proceeded to s.s. “ Empire Nutfield” and s.s. “Flathouse” at Kethole Reach with Salvage Officer and Foreman stevedore.

Later the tug “Atlantic Cock” towed “Y.C.83” from Sheerness and took on board the generator and equipment for pumping and towed her to Sheerness.  The cargo in s.s. “Empire Nutfield” was made secure for proceeding to sea.  Examination of s.s. “Flathouse” shewed leaking rivets in port bilge and further loading was cancelled.

The Salvage Officer and Foreman Stevedore proceeded to the s.s. “Richard Montgomery” on the tug “Atlantic Cock” and stood by over high water.  Wind S.W. Strong to gale with rough sea and seas breaking over No.4 hatch.  The 19-ft. 6-in. draft mark was showing aft at high water.

On Wednesday 6th September at 8.0 a.m. two gangs left Sheerness on the tug “Atlantic Cock” which towed “Y.C.83” to s.s. “Richard Montgomery”.  The gangs were employed in shifting fin assemblies from lower holds of Nos. 4 and 5 to space in ‘tween decks in order to uncover bombs which would be required in the bottoms of next vessel loading.

The submersible pump in No.4 hold was used tor educe the water.

At 1.30 p.m. the tug “Atlantic Cock” connected up steam and a second pump was rigged and placed in No.4 hold.

At 2.30 p.m. No.4 hold was battened down again as tide reached top of the hatch.

At 3.0 p.m. work ceased and stevedores proceeded to Sheerness on the tug “Atlantic Cock” which towed “Y.C.83” arriving at 3.30 p.m.  The Salvage Officer arranged the hire of the barge “Princess Mary” for discharge tomorrow.

On Thursday 7th September at 8.0 a.m. owing to strong N.N.E. breeze and rough sea operations were cancelled.  The tug “Atlantic Cock” with “Y.C.83” left for s.s. “Richard Montgomery” and on rounding Garrison Point found sea too rough to proceed.  The “Y.C.83” was placed at North Wall and the tug “Atlantic Cock” with the Salvage Officer proceeded to the vessel and watched her over high water and later returned to Sheerness.

On Friday 8th September at 8.15 a.m. the tug “Atlantic Cock” left Sheerness with the “Y.C.83” with stevedores (two gangs) and pumping party and the “Cracker” towed barge “Princess Mary” to the s.s. “Richard Montgomery”.  On arrival two gangs levelled off coal (34 tons) which was lying in the lighter and resumed discharging from No.5 hold, timber for dunnaging the barge and then bombs, the tug “Atlantic Cock” supplying steam.

One gang at No.4 hold hove up fin assemblies and stowed them on deck after filling vacant space in the ‘tween deck.  The weather was too bad to work on the weather side.  Loose water was pumped down from No.4 hold.  At 3.15 p.m. stevedores left he ship (fore end of No.4 hatch submerged), and arrived at 4.15 p.m.  At high water the vessel’s stern was standing out of the water at an angle of 35°.

From No.5 hold to “Princess Mary” 163 – 500-lb. bombs.

On Saturday 9th September at 8.30 a.m. two gangs left Sheerness on the tug “Atlantic Cock” which towed “Y.C.83” to the s.s. “Richard Montgomery”.  The tug “Westcreek” towed the “Princess Mary” to port side of the s.s. “Richard Montgomery”, but owing to the strong N.*. wind and rough seas was unable to lie **** and the “Westcreek” towed her back to Sheerness.

Resumed discharging cargo from No.4 hold, the tug “Atlantic Cock” supplying steam (fin assembly parts) and No.5 gang placed fins which were stowed on deck into the “Y.C.83”.  Pumping loose water from No.4 hold was continued.

At 11.30 a.m. work ceased and stevedores landed at Sheerness at 0.10 p.m.

From No.4 hold and from after deck to “Y.C.83” 1,166 fin assembly parts.

On arrival the tug “Atlantic Cock” was dispensed with.  The tug “Gondis” left Gravesend towing the barge “March” to Sheerness.

On Sunday 10th September at 8.30 a.m. the gangs left Sheerness on the “Gondis” which towed barges “Patna” and “Y.C.83” and tug “Westcreek” towed “Princess Mary” to the s.s. “Richard Montgomery”

On arrival discharge was resumed from Nos. 4 and 5 holds, and continued until 5.30 p.m. the “Gondis” supplying steam.  Loose water was pumped from No.4 hold.

The “Westcreek” towed the “Princess Mary” to Stangate Creek and the “Gondis” towed “Patna” and “Y.C.83” to Sheerness.  Stevedores landed at 6.0 p.m.

From No.4 hold to “Patna” 750 fin assembly parts and 89 – 100-lb. bombs,
From No.5 hold to “Princess Mary” 337 – 500-lb. bombs.

On Monday 11th September at 9.30 a.m. the tug “Craker” towed barge “Chanda” and the “March” to the port side of the s.s. “Richard Montgomery” and the “Con**” left with two gangs and towing the “Patna” and “Y.C.83” to the vessel.

On arrival discharge was resumed from Nos. 4 and 5 holds the “Gondis” supplying steam.  Loose water was pumped from No.4 hold, and at 6.15 p.m. work ceased.  The “Cracker” towed the “March” and “Chanda” and “Gondis” towed “Patna” and “Y.C.83” to Sheerness arriving at 6.50 p.m.

From No.4 hold to “Patna” 465 cases Fragmentation Bombs.
548 Fin Assembly Parts, 16 cases Fire Arming, 1 case detonators.
From No.5 hold to the “Chanda” 419 – 500-lb. bombs.

On Tuesday 12th September at 8.15 a.m. two gangs left Sheerness on the “Gondis” which towed “Chand**” and “Y.C.83” to the s.s. “Richard Montgomery” and tug “Advice” towed barge “March”.

On arrival sea was too rough to work on the port side and the Gondis” towed “Chanda” to Sheerness and returned and supplied steam.  Loose water was pumped from No.4 hold.

At 6.15 p.m. work ceased and the “Gondis” towed the “Y.C.83” and “Advice” towed “March” to Sheerness arriving at 6.40 p.m.

From No.4 hold to “March” 743 fin assembly parts, 103 cases Fragmentation Bombs and 36 – 100-lb. Demolition Bombs.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines