News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Locomotives - Post your chuff-chuff pics here!  (Read 31867 times)

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
Re: Locomotives - Post your chuff-chuff pics here!
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2017, 12:28:01 »
Nicknames applied to locomotive classes, which could be very localised to area and even shed, were included in some early post-war ABC`s and it was always fascinating to ponder the origins.

If anyone has access to one of these publications, look up the nickname for the ex-LB&SCR I1X Class 4-4-2T's... :) :) :)

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2017, 19:11:28 »
Something a bit different - no chuff-chuffs, but a timelapse video of trains in and out of Strood taken from Frindsbury churchyard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EC4619_2Po

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2017, 14:57:47 »
The 10 German locomotives arrived at Dover on 22nd and 29th May 1914.  Not brilliant quality chuff-chuff pics but here goes...

You'll note the appearance of the Wellington Dock crane, also seen in http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2045.0

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2017, 19:11:56 »
Sorry I was thinking of another Surtees. Teach me to not rely on my memory. He was probably passed over due to politics, the SER had a certain dislike for the LCDR. When the Longhedge works was closed Surtees had all the crates stencilled as 'Property of LCDR', it did not go down too well at Ashford...

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2017, 23:38:17 »
Actually ROBERT Riddle Surtees, 1856-1919 and hailing from the Newcastle, had been at Longhedge for more than 20 years at the formation of the SECR and was of the right age, and certainly experience, to have headed up at Ashford as CME. Quite why they appointed Wainwright (from the GWR at Worcester) over him is a minor mystery and, of course, eventually they had to find an excuse to get rid of Wainwright who seemingly preferred London playboy society over the delights of rural Ashford.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2017, 20:03:57 »
Richard Surtees designed all the SECR Locos under Wainwright, he even had a small hand in the N class under Maunsell but as he was retiring it went all but unnoticed. Wainwright was the C&W manager who had an eye for a pretty paint job, hence the most ornate livery ever seen in the UK. As such Surtees modified and enlarged the former LCDR designs, the M3 4-4-0 became the D and later E classes, the B2 became the C class (hence the Big B epithet), the R became the H (R1's had the H class boiler which was 6" longer hence the restricted room in the cab and the knuckle removing tool boxes). He also designed the J class (an 0-6-2t used mainly in London) and worked on several ghost designs for Wainwright, an 0-8-0 (supersized C class), 4-4-2 (Atlantic), an enlarged 4-4-0 and three 4-6-0 locos two of which would have had outside cylinders. All of these locos were vetoed by the civil engineer as being too heavy for the LCDR roads.

One other thing that was improved on the former SER by the inclusion of the Chatham locos was the speed. The SER had a maximum speed of 60 mph throughout. Now I am aware that many Drivers would have taken that as an average but they were fined heavily for speeding and Stirling's locos were built to tighter bearing tolerances than the Chatham locos. In fact the Ashford men called the LCDR stock 'Clatter-bangs'. On the other hand it seems that the LCDR was not adverse to allowing the Drivers to let their locos have their way. O.S. Nock in his book of Southern locos (Great Locomotives of the Southern Railway) shows timed runs through the Medway towns in excess of 50 mph being NORMAL! The train times between the London Termini and Dover were always much faster on the LCDR (around 89 mins in the 1890's (and we are any faster today?)) whereas the SER not only went further (about 40 miles) but took almost 60 mins longer. The LCDR was a fast line and apart from the Sittingbourne Disaster was quite a safe line, express trains by the 1890's were Westinghouse Air braked and there was full block signal working. The SER was still playing around with Smiths Simple Vacuum brake (the vacuum created applies the brakes) and the later more effective Automatic Vacuum brake (created vacuum hold the brakes off and if broken the brakes go on hard).

A couple of years ago I was the instigator of a huge thread about slip-coaches on the LCDR at Chatham. A vast amount of ground was covered and research done and conclusions drawn. However I always had a niggling feeling that because of the mind-set of the LCDR Drivers that the speed limits would be largely, not so much ignored but, liberally interpretated.

Getting back to the noise of locomotives a poacher at Bekesbourne would often use the late evening up mail train to effect his escape from the local game keepers. One evening whilst waiting for the noisy loco to come battering up from Dover he was caught. It turned out that the M3 had failed at Dover and a Stirling F1 had been put on instead. The F1 was so much quieter he missed his mark to make a dash for freedom. The next day in Canterbury Magistrates Court he roundly accused the LCDR for betraying him.....

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2017, 12:38:47 »
Fond memories. The boiler of the `H` class was rated `highly successful` and used to re-boiler several other older 0.4.4Ts of the LCD/SER. However, to my mind it was one in the same with that of the `C` class 0.6.0 goods, that other wonderful workhorse of the SEC and Southern.
Then there is the question of who was really responsible for the design in the first place. Wainwright was, essentially, a carriage builder and many think the real engineering design was done by his deputy Surtees, an unsung hero.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2017, 21:47:24 »
A PROPER R class. Thanks for posting, not many shots of the R class, a goodly number of the R1's though (the 0-4-4 not the baby 0-6-0 of the SER). 31308 was a bit of a camera whore towards the end of her life. She crops up all over Kent, from Westerham to Sandling, Gravesend to New Romney she certainly got about (three shed changes in as many years) and ended her days at Tonbridge in December 1962.

S4.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2017, 14:09:17 »
Less so 31662.  However, there's an RC Riley shot on http://gillingham73d.com/branch/gravesend/route/

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2017, 12:26:35 »
[Lappy now fired up.] Good heavens, 31308's all over the place as a simple Google Images search for '31308 H class' will show!  Perhaps the best shot is Lamberhurst's one below: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:31308_near_Brasted_Halt_(1961).JPG

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2017, 08:50:15 »
Nicknames applied to locomotive classes, which could be very localised to area and even shed, were included in some early post-war ABC`s and it was always fascinating to ponder the origins. There was one prominent railway enthusiast of that era (name escapes me) who made a particular study of this from all over the country and one wonders if his documented researches still exist.
A rather more officially recognised practice was the names applied to the many locomotive wheel configurations. `Atlantic` (4.4.2) and `Pacific` (4.6.2) are still in common parlance, `Mogul` (2.6.0) slightly less so

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2017, 23:15:15 »
I know very little about steamers but was wondering if this would be of interest

http://www.railuk.info/steam/getsteam.php?row_id=5209

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2017, 21:26:27 »
I note that 31308 appears on't net, both at and near Brasted, and at Westerham. (Sorry, can't post links from this device!)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2017, 18:30:32 »
I have only ever heard the L class called Germans or Borsigs. Maybe the story of the wheel barrow might jog a few memories Signals99, it was left by the Oracle a little too close to the running rails in the shed and got hit by a D (I believe). Needless to say it was an ex-wheelbarrow afterwards. The Oracle speaks of the Chatham R/R1 with great affection, apart from the toolbox lid and being a little clumsy with the shovel. His favourite was 31662 and for the H class was 31308. Hornby are due to release the H class soon. Three liveries, SECR, Southern and BR. I'm getting the SECR version because she is 308 (Bachmann are also releasing a Birdcage set (so I'll have some coaches for her and my C class to haul.....)).

S4.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2017, 11:47:00 »
Thanks guys for sorting that out, sorry my recollections are somewhat hazy after all this time. I can recall most of the shed staff by name, but a bit dodgy on locomotives etc. About the only one I can accurately remember was the C class, did my early training on them (Driver Buck Eldridge) yard only gent, he was a partner in a fish shop business, late turn Gillingham yard /dockyard shunter, free fish and chips, lovely.
I may be wrong, but I think the driver who referred  to the Cs as "big Bs"may have been Mr Hodge, commonly known as  Fred, again medically restricted in his later years, any one from that era at Gillingham loco still about. Love to swap memories about them, just a few names to jog memories, Frank Smith, Foreman cleaner; Billy Bowels; Bill Newman; Colin Gale, all past cleaners.
Ref the King Arthur incident, yes I took part in that, but that's for another day, goes with the turn table fiasco.?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines