News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Locomotives - Post your chuff-chuff pics here!  (Read 31764 times)

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
Re: Locomotives - Post your chuff-chuff pics here!
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2017, 20:40:28 »
I may have this wrong, but I have a recollection that the term "U boat" was applied to the members of the L class built by Borsig (Germany). They were sent to England in kit form, assembled at Ashford by Borsig fitters in 1914, just before WW1.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2017, 20:19:28 »
Dad has never referred to them as U boats, the Maunsel U and U1 classes yes but the D1's never. When he was there one of the older Drivers wore an LCDR cap badge and referred to the C class as 'Big B's' and would never take water when shunting Strood yard, he despised the SER in all forms. There was an extended regulator handle used for that turn and woe betide the shed if it went missing.

Over the years he told a few stories of the shed, like the demolition of the out-house on the Dock Yard branch, one of your first firing turns if I remember right. However one stuck in my mind. It was of a King Arthur that was on a semi fast failing in Gillingham Station with both injectors not working. He tells of how a group of you lads helped the fire-man bale out the fire onto the platform, much to the chagrin of the station Master. Long story short, at last years Christmas meet I met a former Faversham Driver who told me the same story from his, the fire-man, point and how happy he was that she failed in Gillingham and not anywhere else. Not only was there a relief loco (an N I believe) but a lot of help for him. He had been building his fire ready for the slog up Sole Street and by the time he got to you guys it was a white hot incandescent mass.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2017, 13:57:07 »
Hi  SentinelS4, ref the D1 locomotive. I was employed as a cleaner/fireman at Gillingham motive power dept. about that time.  Mr King was the shed master then, can't recall that particular engine but I felt certain I must have cleaned it at some time, I have a  feeling that for some strange reason the D1 were known as "u boats" to us boys. Why, I have no ideas ?

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2017, 21:37:47 »
First I have to correct my own post. The D1 was withdrawn in July 1961. She was a bit of a shed 'pet' for Gillingham Mpd and kept as clean as they could. The Oracle has traveled for many hours on her footplate (fireing and the odd Drive). In his words they were "Damn fine locos, and she was one of the best".

Now to the little 353. A product of the Manning Wardle works and of the Class Q. Many, possibly hundreds, of these were built as contractors locos. These, with their sisters, built thousands of miles of railways in the UK and throughout the Empire. Many ended up in industrial locations, we might have had a few in Kent at the multitude of Chalk pits that had standard gauge rails. She was ordered in 1889 as the carriage and wagon works shunter at Ashford. Quite why the loco works could not build or spare a loco I have no idea. The SER paid 1,445 for her and promptly fitted a new chimney with a copper cap and painted her in the Stirling Passenger Black livery. In 1899 she was painted in full Wainwright Passenger livery (lined Brunswick Green) and 1901 she finally got vacuum brake ejectors and pipes so the crew no longer had to rely on the handbrake alone. 1917 saw her get a new stovepipe chimney and the SER Austerity grey livery with white numbers on the tank sides (the livery in this pic). 1923 saw her enter Southern stock whilst 1925 saw her issues with a new running number,236S, which was never applied. 1928 saw her boiler condemned so the Southern offered her for sale. There were no takers so she was condemned and withdrawn in December 1929.

30 years service at Ashford Carriage and Wagon was none too sad for a 'cheap' loco. I'm also happy to say that the Class Q was built by the mile and cut off by the yard for many years and I believe there are still a few around on preserved railways, there might even be one on the Bluebell line in East Sussex.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2017, 17:03:58 »
Good old "Slow Easy & Comfortable Riding"  :)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2017, 15:05:11 »
Engine built in 1881, but have no idea when and where the photo was taken.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2016, 20:40:05 »
Loco Built 4/1903 by Dubs & co. Rebuilt to D1 4/1921 (Ashford). Withdrawn between 1951-56.

The picture shows her as a D1, a superheated boiler, piston valves and cut away splashers. These were, along with the E1 conversions, a cheaper way of getting heavier trains moved along the former LCDR metals which had some very severe weight restrictions.

S4.

p.s. Thanks for posting.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2016, 19:13:38 »
When I was at Tech School that engine was probably pulling the trains that I went to Rochester until 1954 and Gillingham on every weekday until 1956. ☺

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2016, 13:47:32 »
Nothing to do with the picture, but it was taken only 3 days before I was born  :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2016, 08:06:13 »
Here`s one for S4. :) I know it says train on pic but we all know its an Engine or Loco.

Class D 4-4-0 No 31247 is turned at Faversham, 12/7/52.( From eBay)

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2016, 13:13:53 »
Given where Gtx2G Father lived, the nearest cement & therefore chalk workings, at that time, were at Wouldham or Burham. Both had an engine of the type in your photo. The Burham engine was called "Medway", that at Wouldham "Ninety Nine" Both works were still operating in 1929. There were works at various times in Borstal, but these I believe had closed by 1929 and did not have locos of this type.

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2016, 12:05:44 »
Fascinating photo. Certainly the loco is an Aveling. Have you any clue as to where it was taken? Or where Gtx2 Grandad lived? It looks as if it could be a chalk quarry? Many had Aveling engines.

He lived in Morden Street, Rochester at number 39. He had been there for some time when this picture was taken, and the  family carried on living there until Morden Street was demolished in 1963. The photo is labelled 'Dad with Engine' from his daughters 1926 photo album. (Dad Edgar King, daughter 'Bubbles' King.)  I can't narrow down his place of work other than Kent.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2016, 10:08:21 »
Fascinating photo. Certainly the loco is an Aveling. Have you any clue as to where it was taken? Or where Gtx2 Grandad lived? It looks as if it could be a chalk quarry? Many had Aveling engines.

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2016, 09:29:18 »
That looks very similar to the Aveling and Porter engine Sydenham

http://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/Sydenham.htm

Thanks for the info and link, The little I know of my great-great-grandfathers history ties in with the locos history. So I think a little more digging is called for.  :)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2016, 13:56:26 »
That looks very similar to the Aveling and Porter engine Sydenham

http://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/Sydenham.htm
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines