News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Locomotives - Post your chuff-chuff pics here!  (Read 31708 times)

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
Re: Locomotives - Post your chuff-chuff pics here!
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2016, 11:35:23 »
All I know of this picture is that its great-great-grandfather and Harry. From an album dated 1926.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2015, 08:42:04 »
Seeing the posts about a garden railway reminded me of this one which I visited in the 60s on an official Scout trip.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/do-it-yourself-railway
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2015, 20:52:48 »
Is it not based on the proposed L.C.D.R. 'spoiler' line from River to Folkestone?

Yes, that's correct, in his scenario the line beyond to Folkestone has closed and Alkham is thus the terminus of a branch from Kearsney, also the coal borings in the area proved successful and a colliery was sunk at Wolverton, this has it's own line leading into the station yard where traffic is exchanged between B.R. and the N.C.B.

It's a nice layout but needs a little 'T.L.C.' here and there...  :)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2015, 19:10:07 »
Thank you, I recognise it now! I saw it at the Lees Cliff Hall a few years ago. Is it not based on the proposed L.C.D.R. 'spoiler' line from River to Folkestone? Smarting a little that an Avonside has a Barclay saddle tank. I did not recognise a Kent Coal Field loco looking so clean!

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2015, 09:43:51 »
Looks like an O1, a Hunslet 18" Austerity and an Andrew Barclay..... Probably wrong.

S4.

Well, two out of three ain't bad! (as Meatloaf once sung), the last one is an Avonside B4 class as used at Snowdown Colliery. I did tag the images with the loco descriptions.

The layout is 'Alkham', constructed by the late Ian Hollis from Folkestone and is based on the premise that the proposed Alkham Valley line was actually built, and this is how he imagined it would look in the 1959/1960 period.

Here are some more pictures of the buildings, which are all modelled on the real ones that exist (or existed at the time) in Alkham.
Anyone familiar with the area should recognise them, except of course, the railway structures which didn't exist, but were of a type that could have done so if the line had been built.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2015, 19:04:22 »
Looks like an O1, a Hunslet 18" Austerity and an Andrew Barclay..... Probably wrong.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2015, 18:20:25 »
Here's a few that I was playing with last night that may be of interest.. :)

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
Re: RAF Manston loco Canopus
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2014, 16:23:21 »
I have been told that a photo appeared on this forum of the 2ft 6in gauge loco Canopus whilst at RAF Manston. I have been researching the railway in Cornwall that this loco was built for and would very much like a copy of the photo. Can anyone help please?

The photo appears at the bottom of this thread: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/archive/what-would-you-choose__o_t__t_3298.html

MichaelM

Re: RAF Manston loco Canopus
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2014, 09:56:26 »
I have been told that a photo appeared on this forum of the 2ft 6in gauge loco Canopus whilst at RAF Manston. I have been researching the railway in Cornwall that this loco was built for and would very much like a copy of the photo. Can anyone help please?

Offline sparky230

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2013, 00:28:00 »
More Garden trains

Offline sparky230

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 21:48:33 »
Stainz Loco's in My Garden

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2013, 17:30:01 »
I concur with both of you. The E6's were shedded at Dover quite often, Hither Green was another favourite as was The Brick (Bricklayers Arms). As for the O1 That really does not look like Folkestone, also I have never heard of an O1 working the Branch in BR times (the third rail give the game away there). They did work the branch in SER days and on the odd occasion in SECR days, a single O class was fitted with cut down mounting for the Whitstable Branch but that did not last long and the R class was rapidly returned.

S4.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2013, 10:40:01 »
Excellent DS239, thanks for pointing me towards them!

6COR to Ramsgate must be unique? I agree with you that 31048 doesn't look quite right, unless it is at the very top of the incline, facing down to the harbour, opposite the loco shed, but I'm not sure.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2013, 02:30:51 »
A large set of photo's here of Kent railways:http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/sets/72157628444465985/  :)

Some really excellent shots, including quite a few of the short-lived 'transitional' liveries that could be seen on BR rolling stock in the late '60's..
Some rarely seen stuff in there, a 6COR unit on a Victoria-Ramsgate service, industrial diesel shunters* at Grain, an R1 down at the lower end of Folkestone Harbour station. All good stuff!

A couple of queries on the locations of the pictures though, ex-LBSCR E6 no.32415 is stated as 'Ramsgate', but it looks like Folkestone Junction to me, and ex-SECR O1 no.31048 is stated as being at 'Folkestone Junction', but I'm not convinced, the background doesn't fit, I'm not sure where it is though. Any ideas?

*They look like a Hudswell Clark and a Barclay to me.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2011, 23:00:33 »
LMS Stanier Class 8F No. 48151 hauling "The Cathedrals' Express" between Margate & Whitstable on its return leg to Alton.

Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines