News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tilmanstone Colliery, Dover  (Read 40113 times)

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
Re: Tilmanstone Colliery, Dover
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 17:39:17 »
Yes at one time the water was pumped into the Little Stour but when the Tilmanstone line was laid it was fed into it
Does anything remain of that pipeline?

Derek
Derek Brice

overman

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 17:04:07 »
Yes at one time the water was pumped into the Little Stour but when the Tilmanstone line was laid it was fed into it

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 23:29:49 »
Did the water from Snowdown go the same route or did that go elswhere?

J.P.Hollingsworth's book, Those Dirty Miners, says a million gallons of water per day were pumped from Snowdown Colliery into the Stour .
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

PG

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 22:08:20 »
Did the water from Snowdown go the same route or did that go elswhere?

overman

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 09:56:23 »
There was a pipeline that ran from Tilmanstone to Betteshanger and then out to the sea near the Checkers pub.
Betteshanger pumped out 7 million gallons a week.
The pipe line is no longer in use as both shaft's are filled in.
When the mines were in production some of the water was used to wash the coal in the coal preparation plant.

dave

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 07:42:19 »
An interesting point.  The Betteshanger water was pumped out near the north Stream between worth and Deal, also an enormous amount of water 24hrs a day.  hope someone knows the answer to Tilmanstone.

PG

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 21:52:21 »

Thats a lot of water being pumped out Overman, where did it get pumped to?

overman

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 19:10:42 »
He has informed me that a lot of the material was not cleared from the site and was disposed of down the shafts
The Filling in of shafts is strictly supervised, the infill (rock) must not be more than 5 inches and the pipes that were used to pump the mine water out, and still in the shaft, had to be filled with "pea beach"
These pipes were 18" dia, Tilmanstone pumped out 13 million gallons a week
It was infilled, I was there

Philio81

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 19:15:30 »
wonder if anyone has bought the part of the site britlands was on yet

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 21:03:28 »
Unlocated, but I think this is also Tilmanstone. Again 1925 ish.

Also unlocated, but the Beresford seam at Tilmanstone was at 1560 feet, so probably as above at Tilmanstone.

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 23:30:19 »
Picture from an Arthur Mee encyclopaedia circa 1925 (ish).

ColinDealer1

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 11:57:17 »
Having been doing some research into all the Kent coal mines and especially Tilmanstone Colliery I managed to do abit of "digging" for information myslf. My own connection with Tilmanstone is that my father was a face-worker at Tilmanstone for 17 years until its closure, who had followed his father having worked there for over 30 years from a Bevin Boy and eventually retiring as an Overman. One of my uncle's (also my dad's brother) was responsible for the demoilsion of Tilmanstone Colliery. He has informed me that alot of the material was not cleared from the site and was disposed of down the shafts, possibly for saving costs with transportation, but also with possibly making it almost impossible for the mines to ever to effectively re-opened.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 08:02:54 »
All i can recall about a similar situation at Coldred Colliery was reading (possibly in the "Dover Express")that a planning application to infill the shafts was refused due to the pollution it could cause to our water supply.A wise move as we don't know that much about how the water seeps around in the chalk below East Kent.Something is done at A and then B dries up which has happened in the Dour Valley and elsewhere.Some naughty deeds may have been done at Tilmanstone then! Incidently i see the Elham valley Nailbourne is flowing like a good one again.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 16:24:12 »
You could have a point. I was talking to somone about Snowdown who said that a load of stuff from the demolition was chucked down the shafts before capping, but it was 'unofficial'. A bit cheaper than paying for disposal when you have a half-mile-deep hole on site. He told me that if the shafts are filled then the site ceases to be a coalmine and therefore must be returned to the land owner as farmland as stated in the lease. Snowdown lease has over thirty-years left to run. I don't know about Tilamstone though. This information is secondhand... well third-hand now! :)
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 52
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 12:19:53 »

Hi Unfairytale,  you said:

"As far as I know Towerwill all the shafts were capped and not filled, Tilmanstone was very wet, and deep"

I seem to to remember when speaking to men who worked at Tilmanstone, and was there when the site was cleared, they told us that the shafts were all filled up with rubbish (and other things) when the site was cleared, perhaps this can be checked somehow?

Ellenkate

--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines