News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Crete Road West, Folkestone  (Read 8449 times)

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
Re: Crete Road West, Folkestone
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 13:20:00 »
I can't remember Fred's surname either but he used to be a bus driver for East Kent and used to come as a pair with Alan Dunster who had a WW2 jeep which he used to take to annual camp. If I recall fred was also responsible for that big scale model of the Channel Tunnel at the old TML Exhibition at Cheriton.

That'd be Fred Mills,I used to work with him on that scale model at the TML exhibition centre..

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 12:52:51 »
This was it on January 17th 2010. Had I not had my son with me, I would have been straight in there. Two weeks later it was locked.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

godzilla73

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 12:41:57 »
We were particularly fortunate insomuch that one of our leading observers for a while was Tony Philpott who was a science teacher in Canterbury. Tony was a gifted teacher and retaught us everything we had forgotten at school (or had fallen asleep in) with regard to physics and the ROC manual somuch so that when the annual Spencer Brown trophy came round we carried it off four times running. Tony was our Cluster Officer at standown.
I too was taught briefly by Tony Philpott (as a student, though not an ROC Observer) and can confirm he was a great teacher. He had that sort of manner that meant you didn't forget the things he said easily!
GDZ

carolmapley

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 09:26:01 »
I can't remember Freds surname either but he used to be a bus driver for East Kent and used to come as a pair with Alan Dunster who had a WW2 jeep which he used to take to annual camp. If I recall fred was also responsible for that big scale model of the Channel Tunnel at the old TML Exhibition at Cheriton. Other post members included Gordon? who was an undertaker at Hambrook and Johns, one railway manager, a housewife, several cross channel ferry employees and not forgetting Anne Philpott Tonys wife, who took over from Tony when he became a cluster officer.

Offline sparky230

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 19:10:48 »
Tony philpot is around and a member of Dover Radio club, Also Fred can't think of his surname is a Volunteer at the Battle of Britain Memorial.

Myself being a Fellow radio ham and part of the Capel Battery Team, have a Interest in Roc Posts

carolmapley

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 22:47:51 »
Forgot to mention our cluster consisted of three posts, Folkestone which was the master post along with Dymchurch and Dungeness posts. We used to have our cluster meetings at a pub at Greatstone and cluster NCO's meetings were held at the Southcliffe Hotel in Folkestone.

During the winter months we used to hold our weekly training meetings at a variety of venues. When I first started it was a classroom at the local technical college, we then graduated to a room in the United Reform church in Folkestone and we finally ended up in a classroom at the Junior Leaders camp in Shornecliffe Barracks. We were particularly fortunate insomuch that one of our leading observers for a while was Tony Philpott who was a science teacher in Canterbury. Tony was a gifted teacher and retaught us everything we had forgotten at school (or had fallen asleep in) with regard to physics and the ROC manual somuch so that when the annual Spencer Brown trophy came round we carried it off four times running. Tony was our Cluster Officer at standown.

carolmapley

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 22:21:03 »
If you look at the sump pipe running up the shaft, near the top you'll see a clip this was used to secure the dipole, there should be another one near the bottom. Also in the shaft at the bottom you should have been able to find the brackets that secured the mast. The mast was a massive telescopic device extended by compressed air supplied by someone operating the manual pump below. It comprised if I recall correctly of three segments each connected by air hoses, the hoses were a pain as you used to get yourself aand any equipment going up or down the shaft snagged in them.

We also used to employ my pet wolf Thor (yes really!) to guard the compound when we were all down below. He used to run round the compound trying to chase the sheep in the adjacent field and in the process look awfully mean which he in fact wasn't. At the end of our training he used to be placed in the equipment net and lowered down the shaft to the monitoring room to have a drink and whatever was going foodwise with the crew. We thought he earnt this treat as he kept away any undesirables such as the local CND who used to make a nuisance of themselves on other local posts. One one occasion he even scared off the visiting Group Commandant!

carolmapley

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 17:02:28 »
Luckily I now live in Scotland and haven't been back to my old post since our last meeting, so I'm not faced with old ghosts! That said the post does look in a bit of a state and we left it in such good order. As for people, it was an extremely happy post and we all got along well.

I'd love to know what happened to our GZI, as it was marked out with visual reference points to aid SUPMET readings. I know some some other posts had the same idea but how many had exotic foreign destinations such as Boulogne and Dunkirk as ref points? Unfortunately I understand most of the surplus GZI's were flattened and sent to landfill back in the mid 90's.

carolmapley

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 14:31:58 »
Folkestone or MAI50 post was a master post. I was a post member there from 1985 through to standown. The post had its share of minor troubles, the major one being the mast cable ties which were located under small cast iron flaps. Unfortunately when cold, water which had collected under the flaps froze and prevented them being opened. This minor hiccup could have prevented us deploying the mast and dipole in war situation. The mast pump was located in the monitoring room below.

If you look just to the left of the compund gate you'll find the remains of a small pit which we dug and kept clear, in which to bury the post petrol jerrycans in transition to war. Prior to standown we were one of a few posts trialling a new compact generator which was made by Yamaha if I recall correctly, other posts trialled similar efforts by Honda and Kawasaki. The only problem with the new generator was its weight which was twice that of the model it replaced. However the generator could be used to run a power strimmer which helped compound maintainence.

One other thing, MAI50 won the Spencer Brown trophy four years running. The Spencer Brown was awarded yearly to the best trained and maintained post in the Metropolitan Sector. Whatever happened to the trophy therafter god knows, but perhaps it should be in the museum at Folkestone Library rather than gathering dust somewhere.

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
Crete Road West, Folkestone
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 07:20:30 »
When I visited the chains wern't doing anything but I couldn't move the hatch.

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
Crete Road West, Folkestone
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 19:17:22 »
This post was a master post as indicated by the metal dome on the ventilation shaft.
The post closed in September 1991.

Heres a few photos of the outside:

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines