News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Connaught Barracks, Dover  (Read 34837 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Re: Connaught Barracks, Dover
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2010, 07:47:43 »
Yes the gate certainly looks older.Would that be near the main entrance and guard house?On the rare occasions we go past in a car i haven't noticed it,not that it's a good road for driving and sightseeing.Incredible to think now that troops could just walk from the barracks side to the firing range across the road anywhere between the guard house and the gym.Only the ditch of Fort Burgoyne provided any sort of obstacle and that was only on one side of the barracks.Lack of security like that would just not be realistic nowadays.As we know the IRA did target barracks with deadly results. 

DoverDan

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 22:46:50 »
Im not sure when the main camp was fenced off but this photo may help. It shows the pedestrian entrance, the sentry post is just behind. I think the turnstyle gate is is a fairly recent addition but the hinged gate and posts look much older maybe 70s??.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 19:52:45 »
They left the security of that side of the road as late as that did they?Come to think of it i can recall an officer chasing two soldier boys round that bit of an assault course.They were in their civvies so i don't know what they'd been up to.It was unfenced as you said and this may have been the mid 1970's but i just can't remember if the main barracks were fenced by then.

Offline Lee

• Appreciation 1
  • Lee
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 13:45:52 »
The old sgts mess at broadless never seemed to have much security, even during Ira bombing campaign, when I first was camp officers mess was easy to gain access to along with so called assault course, site garages and tennis courts on the left hand side of guston rd, wasn't until mid 80s that these got the security fencing installed.

Lee

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 17:48:37 »
Hi Lee,though i can't remember specific dates i noticed one day that the barracks gone from a very open site to what it is today.The sentrys were all armed and on the alert.In earlier times i've seen a couple of soldiers walking down to the sergeants mess and garage
(near Horseshoe Bastion)armed only with pickaxe handles.I suppose a security company looks after the site now.

Offline Lee

• Appreciation 1
  • Lee
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 13:02:47 »
Hi guys,
I worked at Connaught barracks from 79 to 88 and this sentry box appeared sometime during that period as far as I can remember, although this entrance was rarely used at camp. it may have been at the time the Irish Rangers were stationed at the camp.

Bsrgds
Lee
Lee

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 09:22:09 »
That's an interesting photo DoverDan.I presume the entrance is around the other side?Do you think that it was installed during the Irish Troubles that restarted in the early 1970's?That might possibly have been when the barracks had fencing put around it(your photos/my comments on Fort Burgoyne).I seem to have a memory of the Roman Quay pub down in Dover having steel netting fitted on the insides of it's windows.Someone will correct me if i'm wrong.The pub was well used by the soldiers back then and there had been some murderous attacks on pubs with many deaths.I think at least two pubs elsewhere in England, near to barracks, were bombed with fatal results.
I can remember that trains and stations were also attacked.I believe one poor man man was killed at Victoria Station by a bomb left in a litter bin.It was a tense time for us working on and using the railways back then.Several times i had to have suspicious articles checked out with much delay to the network.The same sort of security was in operation all over the country.

DoverDan

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 18:55:41 »
Setry post/pillbox at the pedestrian gates that link the barracks to Burgoyne heights playing fields and housing estate.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 21:55:12 »
There's a photo from Islesy on General Defences[2] Broadlees Bottom which shows the huts i'm on about delboy.They are below East Arrow Barracks and i thought a parade ground was built just below them close to where the tanks were.That photo must have been where i could remember seeing the huts.Don't know if they were a "tin town" though.Delivering milk was one job i didn't do:delivered coal  for a month though.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 14:36:06 »
Hi towerwill, I can remember vaguely the area past Bleriots memorial being turned into a parade ground and some old huts being taken down. Along the road past the sgts mess we used to make our way to entrance to the barracks. We were always being moved on. The MQs were there in 1953/4/5, occuppied, as I used to deliver milk(help the milkman actually) to them. Richmonds Dairies was the firm. delboy

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 07:50:49 »
Many thanks for your nice photos delboy,i recognize all the places even though we don't go that way but once a year now.So my track was on the site of other ranks MQ's then?I can't remember their demolition,was it early 1950's?The bungalows with names of WW1 battles i recall alright and the upper Road former MQ's can be seen from the bus to Deal.An old friend of the family(who you know) once lived there.Tin Town's site hasn't changed much over the years has it?Lovely views and a stones throw from Fort Burgoyne.Can you recall any huts being on land past the Sergeant's Mess near the end of the road that branches off by the Upper Road MQ's? This road goes down past the little cemetery,through the sites of the Sergeant's Mess and army garage and probably once went to East Arrow Barracks.There's a track on the left to the Bleriot Memorial and beyond this i believe were more huts,possibly demolished in the early 1950's.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 18:48:24 »
here are the rest,delboy

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 18:45:40 »
Hi Lee, towerwill and stewrey, I have attcd some pics of the sites of the former married quarters and Tin Town ,that the opening of Connaught Barracks for the unmarried soldiers, helped to close and replace with better accomodation.The track you walked up is still there towerwill, the remains of the old buildings were the 3 storey other ranks married qtrs. Lee there are none of the buildings left except the old senior officers quarters in Broadlees Bottom,now private.   the MQs at Upper Road have been extensively modernised, if you look at the bricked arches these were stairs and they had a balcony running the front of the building. This has been built out on making the building wider.They are now 2 floors high,each unit, instead of single floor units lower ground and 1st floor.So you only have half the units that the MOD had. These private. The site of Tin Town is still there opposite the entrance to Burgoyne Heights. You can see it on kyns picture of the barracks

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 23:30:06 »
When i cycled to work on a St.Margaret's farm there were no ideal routes:all ways involved very steep hills.For variation i might push up Waterworks Hill and then ride down to Broadlee's Bottom,get my bike over a gate and push it up a track to another gate.Once over this i rejoined the road to St. Margarets.Reach Road i think we called it.This way avoided the hairpin bends.Though a grassy track it looked as though it was once a metalled road and there were  signs of buildings once being in the area.There was a little housing estate in Broadlee's Bottom at this time and i can recall an old red phone box on a corner.

Offline Lee

• Appreciation 1
  • Lee
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 13:12:49 »
Hi delboy

that is a good description of the various locations of buildings associated on the deal side of dover castle, the buildings at top of upper road were know to me as Mulligan's mansions - not sure why and I used to look after the Sergeants mess heating systems and electrical services - which is what the building at broadlees bottom was know until it was demolished, as well as the 3 old officers qtrs which have now become private houses when the mod sold them off when they were in a right state.
Would like to see some pictures of houses at bottom of swingate hill as never seen these before but have been on old road which used to serve them
bsrgds
Lee
Lee

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines