News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Connaught Barracks, Dover  (Read 37629 times)

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
Re: Connaught Barracks, Dover
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 10:12:18 »
Hi stewrey, tin town was made up of about 20 small bungalows ,terraced down the field,from the road. I have no idea when they were built but were still in use in the mid 1950s. These were married quarters for NCOs and their families stationed at the Castle. When Connaught barracks were opened the other ranks were moved out of the castle to the barracks.(The Cameron Highlanders)  There were other married quarters for the garrison at Upper Road and Broadlees, the sheltered accommadation on Upper Road is all that is left of the other ranks married quarters. At Broadlees were the senior officers houses and a new build,1950s, of junior officers married qtrs. There was also two 3 storey other ranks married blocks on the hill just below Swingate leading up from Broadlees. These all went, apart from a few of the old senior officers bungalows with the building of Jubilee way and the new road across it. Most of the old buildings were Victorian in design. I will take some shots to show the qtrs and locations in revalance to Connaught Barracks, delboy

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 08:11:37 »
They do look like huts out of WW2 prison camp films.It's possible there were more huts round the back of Dover Castle on land below East Arrow Barracks on part of Northfall Meadow and roughly opposite the Bleriot Memorial.We also called it Northfallen Meadow so i don't know the correct spelling.My O.S. map to hand just shows the Bleriot Memorial so if they had existed they would have been up the slope towards the Castle.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 21:44:40 »
Hi Stewyrey,i didn't know a great deal about "tin town" other than what i saw from the fields or the road.It was a bit of a blot on the landscape similar to the photograph.What rubble that was left after demolition was covered in grass and cattle last time i went up there.I guess it had mains drainage as i saw some drain covers.

DoverDan

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 20:42:57 »
Just to give you an idea of what an average 'tin town' would look like this is the one that was at Shorncliffe garrison Folkestone.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 11:08:44 »
Hi TowerWill,

Can you tell us more about "Tin town" please.

Stewyrey.

Hi Stewrey, I may start a thread about Tin Town but it was a collection of corrugated " bungalows" that was used for NCOs married quarters before the barracks opened in the 1950s. They were in the field opposite the new estate on Burgoyne Heights, overlooking the Danes and the cemetery, the gate is still there.. One of the places I delivered milk to in my ill spent youth.Painted red(red lead), cold inthe winter, hot in the summer. delboy

Offline stewyrey

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 03:11:50 »
Hi TowerWill,

Can you tell us more about "Tin town" please.

Stewyrey.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 21:55:36 »
Yes delboy i can remember "tin town".I expect some of the rubble and foundations are still in that field.It must have still had people living there when i worked on Frith Farm from 1966 to 1968.A resident was a friend of the farmers.There is a KHF member who lived in "tin town" but i haven't seen any posts from him recently.We wondered what the reason for the shrub clearing until i saw an earlier post of yours.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 18:21:52 »
towerwill, this was  weapon disposal clearing that was being carried out as the land was decommissioned. I spoke to one of them, ex army, who were doing it. They found quite a bit of ammo., training grenades and mortars etc. Do you remember "tin town" in the field. delboy

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 22:38:40 »
The scrub clearing i can see in your photo has been going on for some time.I think the little steep sided valley is called Coombe Hole.This is where the bare earth can be seen.The West Wing ditch runs along the top of it.At one place the distance between the ditch and the steep slope into the valley is no more than a cow track wide and very tricky to negotiate in wet weather.I worked for the farmer who rented this land from the W.D. so i knew the area well.Someone was clearing the hillside opposite us until recently.That's the land above Connaught Park.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 20:07:23 »
The pictures are at least a couple of years old I think.  Unfortunately I have no date for them.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 17:56:21 »
Another nice photo Kyn.Are they recent as i think i can see some clearing work being done in the fields nearby?From our front bedroom window i can see where the West Wing caponier is situated and a line of trees indicate the line of the ditch.Between these and Connaught Park the field has been cleared of scrub.The gateway to the West Wing is situated near the isolated large house (centre left) which i think used to be the Commanding Officer's residence.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 422
    • Sheppey History
Connaught Barracks, Dover
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 13:32:27 »
 :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines