News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Connaught Barracks, Dover  (Read 30860 times)

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
Connaught Barracks, Dover - All gone
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2017, 23:17:01 »
Connaught Barracks have all gone - but don't worry, I'm sure they will be remembered in the road names of the new estate!
First pic Nov 2017 - last picture still complete in Oct 2015
The building frenzy is set to gobble up many of our less revered historical & military sites. I fly around Kent regularly and there is building work everywhere
Trikeman
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Re: Connaught Barracks, Dover
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2014, 09:35:55 »
Junior Ranks Dining Hall:

cliveh

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2014, 13:27:47 »
I've read in the Dover Express of a proposal to build 80 houses on the Officer's Mess site (map on reply #36). I've just thrown the paper away but i believe the proposals can be viewed at the White Cliffs Centre. Let's hope it doesn't include the West Wing Fort.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2014, 09:35:16 »
The Kitchens:

cliveh

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 16:59:13 »

From a 1937 O.S.plan
The plan above shows the position of the old Officer's Mess.I knew the large house as the C.O.'s residence but it may have been used by someone else.When we used to creep along the West Wing fort's ditch we could hear children in the garden above.The ditch under the drawbridge had been infilled but in later years someone had started excavating under the bridge.The old mess can be seen in my reply #36.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2011, 21:45:45 »
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 19:04:23 »
Thanks for the info. I seem to remember seeing those domes from the top path in Connaught Park in the 1950's.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 18:51:35 »
I think the fire destroyed one of the domes and it was deemed too expensive to repair. I recall going up there in the 60s with one of my wife's uncles to collect some rsj's that he had purchased from the demolition team. It was also one of our delivery points when I helped on the milk round in the 50s. delboy

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 11:36:34 »

From "Kent and the Cinque Ports" by H.R.Pratt Boorman MBE, MA, FJI.The large building with two domes may have been the old officer's mess for Connaught Barracks.I think I can recall it and the building of the later mess on the site.To the left of it is the West Wing Fort.The field below it running down to Connaught Park we knew as the "Goat Ladies Field". Any more info on the building?

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 08:50:26 »
I've been looking at an old Ward Lock book about the East Kent Coast. A small plan of Dover just includes the Barracks and opposite it in the triangle between the A258 and upper road is shown a golf course. I've seen this mentioned on an old OS map too. The club house is shown next to another block of buildings, probably the old married quarters. Wonder if the club house is the building the sea cadets use? The site of the course would be English Heritage's overflow car park now I suppose. Maybe this small course was for military recreational use?

Offline Andyb

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 19:16:52 »
Thread makes interesting reading, When I was at school at St Edmund's in the late 70's we used to do our cross country run past the barracks. I often wondered if there are any tunnels in or around the barracks. How about Connaught Park, is there anything under there I wonder?

Andy
Metiri est cognoscere

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2010, 20:25:42 »
Thanks DoverDan and Lee.That gate would have been installed long after our exploring days of that area.I suppose they infilled a bit of that ditch.Even years ago, if i remember rightly, it was pretty well impassable possibly with dumped barbed wire and definitely with stinging nettles and brambles.I wouldn't know it the ditch sides were lined or not but to get across it would have been fairly easy for a determined intruder to the barracks.I can recall the Paras having an open day on the playing field nearby which we went to.I'll have a look at Google Earth to see what it's like now.

Offline Lee

• Appreciation 1
  • Lee
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2010, 17:45:49 »
This gate was put in when new married qtrs were built at Burgoyne heights in late 70s
Bsrgds
Lee
Lee

DoverDan

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2010, 17:14:55 »
This gate is situated in the far corner of the barracks, just off the A258 between the A2/Jubilee way roundabout and the top of Castle hill road. The alleyway that links the gate to the large playing fields cross's the main ditch that links Fort Burgoyne to the Eastern outworks.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines