News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: St. Margarets Underground Hospital  (Read 15020 times)

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Re: St. Margarets Underground Hospital
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 15:53:30 »
I'm not sure about that Alastair but you could well be correct. There's certainly no sign of any lining left. There's a few light fittings tin those sections hat are fitted directly into the chalk which I thought would've come away when the sheeting was removed. However I could be wrong!

What did amaze me was in the other flat-roofed sections there's used wood props to support cast iron roof cross-members! Needless to say the wood props are now completely rotten!!

To be honest its a very dangerous place now and I'm sure it will very soon end up completely filled-in! :(

cliveh

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 15:00:30 »
Terrific experience, though, Clive. I really envy you. Looking at the pictures (thanks for posting, by the way) there appears to be two types of construction. One flat, unlined tunnels and rounded, as if there was corrugated sheeting but it has been removed. Having been there, would you agree?

Regards

Alastair

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 13:35:03 »
It was fairly recent but I won't be going down again Alastair - that's for sure!! It was very, very difficult for an 'old boy' like me!

cliveh

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 12:05:24 »
Good heavens, clive - when did you go down there? I thought no-one had been down there since the War. Good for you!

Alastair

silverainbow

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 13:59:18 »
Shame all of this and so much more was and is left to ruin, It would have made a really interesting place to visit, My Father has also told me of an underground workshop that existed in this area that he frequented in the late 60's and early 70's, hes not the only one of his generation to have mentioned this

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 22:34:24 »

This image from Google Earth shows the area where i believe the buried entrances are.I mention on the Martin Mill Military Railway site of walking past several tunnel entrances on the footpath where i've put a red arrow.Seeing the film clip i'm glad i never explored the place back then when it was all open.Trying to remember back 40/50 years can be difficult but i seem to recall brick buildings at the entrance to each of these tunnels.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 17:30:33 »
Isn't it a plan of the South Foreland Battery buildings?

The Hospital plan is at the top of this thread.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 16:45:27 »
While looking at the video of Kaddy and the Underground Hospital, I printed the frame where the chaps were in the National Archives looking at a plan. Assuming this is a plan of the Hospital complex where is it in relation to today's road layout? I can't match up the roads - the road on the left has a curve in that it shouldn't have - can anyone help?
Alastair(again)

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 12:36:33 »
Thanks, BenG. Great help.
Alastair

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 15:48:48 »
Interested in pinpointing exactly where the Underground Hospital was, BenG. Down the track from Winnie near the main road puts it near the junction of the Main Road and the St Margaret's-Dover Road. Around the back of Townsend Farm. Am I in the right place?
Alastair

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 21:47:14 »
Tunnelled. They're at least 30ft deep, probably more like 50ft. The entrances were back filled.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Wainhill

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 17:11:41 »
I'm interested to know about this hospital if anybody knows anything:  has it been filled in or just the entrances blocked off?  And does anybody know anything about how these things were constructed?  I assume cut and cover rather than tunnelled?  although it is on chalk.   

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 21:44:06 »
It's Dover.
St. Margarets is between Deal and Dover.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines