News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Muggins chalk pit.  (Read 13739 times)

Offline allanc26

• Appreciation 0
Re: Muggins chalk pit.
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 22:11:12 »
Hi the muggins pit has had a fence out around it to people going down  as I own the pit and if anyone was to go down and get hurt i get fined so just a bit of info as it is private. And the fence is there to stop people .

Offline Colin

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 17:06:52 »
I came to live in Shorne when I was a baby in 1951 and kept in touch so to speak until my mother moved out in 1990. I attended the Primary School when it was at the top of Butcher's Hill opposite the Common. All the children knew the chalk pit well, we called it 'the caves' and some times even school 'nature walks' ended up there. The farm around Ifield Place was owned by a family called Elliot and was a pig farm. There was another farm, Jackson's Farm, back up the road. I can just recall some old dates carved into the chalk.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 15:01:26 »
Bing Maps

BONZO

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 13:16:04 »
oldexplorer - sending you a PM  :)

oldexplorer

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 04:11:09 »
Hi, I have noted your comments regarding muggins pit, my husband and I actually own it and would be grateful if you would contact us if and when you wish to go down there, it is private property. We get idiots (not including you in this) :) going in there and we do not wish them to come to any harm. The car in the entrance is actually a split screen morris thousand and was put there in 1972. I hope I have not completly put you off but we like to keep it safe. Thanks.

I was hoping to pop into the Muggins adits on my Christmas holiday break this Dec 2012 - I do prefer to obtain permission, but there doesn't seem to be any contact details for you. Would you be kind enough to send me a PM (or anyone else who also has your contact details). Kind regards, oe  :)

kheridr

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 17:31:55 »
Just a bit of information, ive been told that this was used to store munnition and shells for the airfield in river view.

Offline stewyrey

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 17:22:15 »
  Hi mugged, appoligies for not replying to you sooner, not long read your posts and have
been busy at work. Also I appoligise for being in the pits back then, I was a young daft
teenager back then, though not so young now :)
  As for your offer to members, thankyou. I hope I can take you up on it this summer, if
work lets me :(

Regerds stewyrey.

mugged

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 19:08:17 »
Hi thanks for the interest, as far as we know it has always been called muggins lane so maybe just because it goes to muggins pit.

brianfuller75

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 11:08:21 »
I know this spot quite well, as I live in Shorne. I have been in the caves a couple of times.(sorry if I was trespassing, but I'm very nosey). I couldn't work out what the car was, so I'm pleased to know it was a split screen Morris Minor, as I owned one in the 60's. I am glad to see that the quarry is no longer a dumping ground for people's rubbish, as at one time it had old fridges etc in it. Was Muggins Lane, that passes it, ever more than a footpath? Footpaths don't usually have names.Maybe it linked the quarry to the Gravesend/Rochester road.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdwatcher63/5552900472/

Online kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 22:22:38 »
Thank you for joining and giving members the opportunity to visit with your guidance  :)  I do hope some take up the offer!

mugged

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 21:43:00 »
Hi, I have noted your comments regarding muggins pit, my husband and I actually own it and would be grateful if you would contact us if and when you wish to go down there, it is private property. We get idiots (not including you in this) :) going in there and we do not wish them to come to any harm. The car in the entrance is actually a split screen morris thousand and was put there in 1972. I hope I have not completly put you off but we like to keep it safe. Thanks.

kheridr

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 12:54:25 »
hmm ok, they haven`t changed at all, compared with your drawings, its just something really unusual to find in that area.

Offline stewyrey

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 01:32:57 »
Hi kheridr, I can't recall an old Citroen there, but there was some rubbish at and
around the entrances. I'm planning on comming down in the summer and will have
a more detailed survey.

stewyrey.

kheridr

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 01:23:44 »
I have no photos, but the existence of these still exist, i visted them december, in 2010 and looks like there`s an old Citroen buried in the entrance, was this here in the 80's?

Offline stewyrey

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 01:43:03 »
I'm not sure of the method of extraction, but benching method may well have
been employed. As for kilns, I'm sure there would have been some on site. The pit dates back to
at least the 1860s so I imagine,  being very rural, the lime was used locally on fields.
  I've found a little on the subterranean Greenwich and Kent site,

http://subterraneangreeenwich.blogspot.com/2009/09/ifield-chalk-adits-kent.html

and here's a ge of the pit,

stewyrey.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines