News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dover Western Docks  (Read 54242 times)

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
Re: Dover Western Docks
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 11:13:22 »
The Dover Lifeboat "Southern Africa" laid up in the Wellington Dock 1967.She had just been replaced by the new steel American design "Faithful Forester".I can remember one of the first BBC live outside broadcasts they did from the lifeboat with Raymond Baxter giving the commentary.She was later sold to Chile but has now been preserved back home in the South West.More details of the Dover RNLI website.

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 10:57:34 »
Another view from the Heights.Scanned from negatives and suffered the curse of Newton Rings.
Cheers, Ted

delboy

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 20:42:48 »
Hi, here are some photos taken when I worked at the Western docks showing the Jetfoil. The 1st 2 pics show the converted barge that we used til RTM converted the R. Astrid as a terminal. I am the guy in the white shirt on the barge tieing up. No 2 shows them removing the barge and the others show the Reine Asrtid being put in place. Your picture Ted shows it when they moved it and the Ostend services to  Ramsgate. I hope you find them of interest, delboy

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 20:13:48 »
Another shot taken from St. Martins Battery. This time in the late '90s.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 20:07:50 »
The Jet Foil Terminal.Converted from one of the redundant Belgian Ferries.It doesn't take too long before it becomes history......

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 20:03:20 »
Another view taken from the end of the Western Arm in the 1960's.Lots of foot passengers in those days....

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 10:32:18 »
Taken from the Western Heights in the 60's.So much going on.For me one to remember.
Cheers,Ted

Offline Ted Ingham

• Appreciation 35
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2010, 14:51:28 »
The Isle of Thanet and the cargo vessel Deal.Laid up in the Wellington Dock waiting to be towed to the scrap yard.
Regards,
Ted

DoverDan

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2010, 16:17:55 »
Two views of the stone and coal berths at the Western Docks.

Mid 1950s view of the Tidal Basin birth.

The Granville Dock birth viewed from the eastern end of Wellinton Dock during the early 1960s. Note the conveyor system next to the large ferry, installed in the late 1950s to speed up the unloading of Cargo ships.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 19:41:59 »
Very interesting brochure you put on the forum!I thought i might have seen tugs up on the slipway going back up to 50 years ago.Yes great pity it wasn't kept,but cars must be parked as you say.Many changes around that area even in my 60 odd years.

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 18:01:53 »
The second photo on the "Dover Harbour Board brochure" thread shows the Lady Duncannon on the slipway, TowerWill.  :) Great shame it wasn't preserved because it was a quite historic structure. But, of course, car parking comes first...

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 17:52:55 »

Before this arm of the Wellington Dock was infilled to the present length it had a gentle ramp with sturdy rail lines rising up at the end of it out of the water.I think i saw the end of these lines in the present car park.I can't remember all the details now but there was some sort of a cradle that could raise quite large ships out of the Dock.There is(or was)something similar in Ramsgate Harbour.Another piece that seems to have gone is the floating jetty between this bit and the "Bubbles".We used to sit on the beams inside that were just above the water level.Incidently the trees on the hilltop above mark the site of the West Wing of Fort Burgoyne.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 18:55:40 »
Thought that might be the place i've seen in railway magazines.Those wagons in DoverDan's photo would have been grey as well, as i can remember them being shunted from dock to dock.One could be heading towards Snargate Street and be held up by this shunting then find the road bridge over the Wellington Dock entrance had been opened behind you to let a ship through if the tide was right.Very interesting place though.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 17:30:10 »
Yes, it is. He did very well out of it, I gather. The mineral wagons were painted grey usually with a diagonal white stripe on one side of the door. Used mostly up north as that was where the coal/industry was.
Alastair

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 17:17:35 »
Right Alistair,i think those wagons operated more to the north of the Thames in later years until they were scrapped as you say.Painted grey i used to see them in sidings on the Midland.Is Dai Woodhams that scrapyard in Wales?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines